Meridian 506 CD player may be haunted....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by SMEagol, Nov 3, 2008.

1. SMEagol

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Hi, why does this turn itself on from standby, its very annoying. It also puts itself on repeat, which isn't actually achievable without the remote, and displays C in front of a track and won't play it unless restarted, quite a neat trick. The draw action on eject is a little sticky but fine going in. It looks in great nick, but like someone said about Gerald Ford, nice guy, but I think he played football too many times without his helmet on... Is it possible that a neighbour has a remote that might be making it do odd things, as I understand they are Philips based?

I spoke to Meridian, but they go a bit funny and clam up as soon as you mention ebay - Then tell me to take it to a Meridian dealer to get duly screwed over - gee thanks. The fact that they could get some servicing work direct doesn't seem to interest them. Shame as I love the product regardless of its quirks. "Never you mind who made you" I tell it. Despite their subliminal best attempts, I'm still a fan of the product.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2008
    SMEagol, Nov 3, 2008
  2. SMEagol

cooky1257

Stick some tape over the remote receiver and see if that puts a stop to the haunting.:)

cooky1257, Nov 3, 2008
  3. SMEagol

PumaMan

I had a similar problem.

Do you happen to have another piece of kit that uses Philips remote control codes by any chance?

If I used a remote for another unit the CD player would come on.

PumaMan, Nov 8, 2008
  4. SMEagol

D Louth 77

Hi Smeago

It could be a faulty remote or a clash with another remote. This is not unheard of I once had a customer who bought a Carat system and his Toshiba lcd tv remote caused the amp to change inputs,go up in volume,switch on etc. These aren't exactly the same as your problems but you should not rule this out. However it could also be a faulty control chip in the CD player.

Meridian are a great company but can be a bit odd about s/h things,pity. The only positive thing is that they keep spares and are helpful to their dealers. I know this doesn't help you if you don't want to use a dealer. I know cost can be an issue but they (Dealers)do need to earn a living. Shop around for best repair quote.

There may also be an independent repair house that might be able to help such as NSS. Don't use gen serve as they are a bit of a nightmare. There some one else who isn't very good but I can't remember who they are, sorry.

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Nov 8, 2008
  5. SMEagol

lbr monkey boy

Hi Smeagol,

I've had a similar thing with a Meridian transport - it was picking up signals from my Ear CD player. In the end I just turned the Meridian off.

However, I think I'd tend to favour your initial assessment. Feasible technical theories aside, it's most likely a haunting. Apparently these guys have some experience in this area:

[​IMG]

lbr, Nov 8, 2008
  6. SMEagol

PumaMan

I've never had a problem getting my Meridian gear repaired or serviced directly with them or through a dealer. Both CD players and amps.

Very easy and painless.:)

PumaMan, Nov 9, 2008
  7. SMEagol

icehockeyboy

Fwiw, my Squeezebox remote operates my old LG vhs recorder

icehockeyboy, Nov 9, 2008
  8. SMEagol

SMEagol Because we wants it...

:D Hi All

I'm going to try putting a bit of tape over its eye, either that or call Most Haunted's Derek Acorah, "I'm getting a name, sounds like Meredith"... "the energy is very strong near the rack"... "and its angry, its saying DON'T push my buttons" etc...

SMEagol, Nov 9, 2008
Ask a Question