Merlin speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by cab586, Mar 25, 2006.

1. cab586

cab586

I have been offered a pair of s/h Merlin VSM - MMs at a good price but I haven't heard them. What should I expect? Anything I should watch out for?

cab586, Mar 25, 2006
  2. cab586

Andy 831

Not sure myself as i have not heard them although they were recomended to me to use with flea power valves so i guess they are fairly efficient.

If you decide not to pursue them perhaps you could pass me some details.

Andy 831, Mar 25, 2006
  3. cab586

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

they are fantastic at resolution, a true monitor speaker.

speak to 'merlin' or 'neilr' on pink fish.

they sometimes post here too.

Cheers
    chris

bottleneck, Mar 26, 2006
  4. cab586

Ya-Boo

Try and home dem the Merlin VSM first,as I found out they are not for everyone & room sensitive IMHO
    great build & reputation though prices are now on the slide

Ya-Boo, Mar 26, 2006
  5. cab586

Stereo Mic

There are some who think Merlin speakers are peerless. They are a music lover's loudspeaker, more about musical correctness and subtle detail than slamming bass and hifi pyrotechnics. They are ruthlessly revealing.

They will not work with any old rubbish, they won't work with some kit that is supposedly high end. They won't work with flea powered amps. They won't work with battle clad SS behemoths.They don't sound convincing on heavy metal or thrash in the same way panels don't.

Get it right however, and for many music lovers the world over, they are the best loudspeakers short of about £20K, and better than those in most UK rooms. But loudspeakers are personal, and those who rave about them are merely expressing a personal opinion. So get a listen to a well setup pair and see if you concur.

Stereo Mic, Mar 26, 2006
  6. cab586

Neil

I have a pair of VSM MMs - If you're near me (Wormit/Newport in Fife) you can come and have a listen. I bought mine from WM and am pretty happy - I'd echo what Stereo Mic said, I've never heard speakers with such control of subtle detail, amazingly analytical. I'm running a modified Kit 88 valve amp (~ 35Watts) and it drives them beautifully (I guess anything about 8/10 watts + would be fine, even for high sound levels) I'm less happy with their sound with 'thrashy' music. Details to watch out for - they come with two types of internal wiring,one suited to valves one for SS, if you are going to single wire them there should be a supplied R/C network which you can use to bridge the binding posts (cardas wire/a hovland cap and a resistor). The Z-feet supplied can be fitted 2 at the back one at the front or vica -versa, I found quite a difference. And lastly positioning makes a big difference - recommended set up is about 7 feet apart toed in slightly (a piece of angled ply is supplied to help you get this right.....).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2006
    Neil, Mar 27, 2006
  7. cab586

Stereo Mic

Neil,

just to clarify, the ones you bought from WM were VSM Milleniums, not the newer VSM MM. The MM only has the one wiring option, whereas the Millenium did indeed have two. The MM sounds somewhat more dynamic, with greater bass weight and more presence.

The Z feet can also be used four square, one on each corner. this benefits solidity and bass and is useful if you feel the speaker is lacking in that area.

Stereo Mic, Mar 27, 2006
  8. cab586

Neil

Thanks SM, forgot I was missing an 'M'!

Neil, Mar 27, 2006
  9. cab586

anon_bb Honey Badger

Thats a glowing report SM - are you unbiased in this matter? i.e. are you an owner, designer or manufacturer?

anon_bb, Mar 27, 2006
  10. cab586

Stereo Mic

No.

They are an American company. You will find the designer, Bobby Palkovic, on AA if you are interested.

You would not like them BBV - they would not go loud enough for your requirements.

Stereo Mic, Mar 27, 2006
  11. cab586

anon_bb Honey Badger

Fair enough. Its more dynamics I want than loudness. Plus the ability to play all types of music well.

anon_bb, Mar 27, 2006
  12. cab586

Stereo Mic

If it's dynamics you want, IMHO you can do substantially better, after all there is a huge difference between paper dynamics and perceived dynamics, as any vinyl lover will tell you.

I really don't like the "jack of all trades, master of none" approach. Sorry, just not for me.

Stereo Mic, Mar 27, 2006
  13. cab586

Nils

Mic, what speakers do you have yourself?

Also, have you heard WMs Ospreys? I've heard his BHIIs which were fantastic, but don't know whether that's a 'typical' meadowlark sound.

Nils, Mar 27, 2006
  14. cab586

Stereo Mic

Nils, I currently have the smaller Merlin, the TSM MX. It works better than anything else in my current room and that includes Living Voice OBX-R, Harbeth SHL3, Proac D80 and D100, Dynaudio C1 and the VSM that Neil has..

I don't like Meadowlarks I'm afraid. Speakers are the most personal part of any system and I simply do not find them convincing. But they do have impressive qualities in certain areas - just not the ones I listen for.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2006
    Stereo Mic, Mar 27, 2006
  15. cab586

cab586

Neil thanks for the kind offer. I live in London (anyone out there with Merlins in London/home counties?).

Stereo Mic, your views on MLs vs. Merlins? Some say the Merlins are more hi-fi; not really that musical, maybe weak on rock and dance.

cab586, Mar 27, 2006
  16. cab586

Stereo Mic

That's true, they are more hifi (ie. they offer higher fidelity ). That's what the hobby is about for me.

They kick ass with dance, where production values are high and the Merlins really draw you in. Listen to Robbo's Merlin setup on Leftfield. I doubt you will hear much better.

It's funny. In the US they are considered one of the best music lover's loudspeakers, whilst many brands you might refer to as "musical" are admired for their hifi pyrotechnics and exaggeration.

There is a certain rightness to the Merlins that many people hear, and it extends across the usable bandwidth of the loudspeaker. But YMMV. If you want a speaker for heavy rock, I'd get some JBL Project Arrays or vintage L300's and keep the Merlins for proper music.;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2006
    Stereo Mic, Mar 27, 2006
  17. cab586

cab586

Stereo Mic, thanks. Enough there to sort a dem (somewhere).

Much difference between the standmounts and the floorstands? Rumour has it they are more pyro and exaggeration :).

cab586, Mar 27, 2006
  18. cab586

Stereo Mic

There are big differences between the VSM and TSM but equally there are big differences between the diferent incarnations.

For instance, I think the TSM MX is a better balanced loudspeaker than the VSM M which I owned before WM/Neil. I suspect the VSM MM is better still. I would still own VSM's if the port did not play havoc with my main room mode.

None of them perform stunts like some speakers mentioned.

Neither are they easy speakers to accomodate. If you are looking for a loudspeaker to drop into your system then I would probably recommend something else.They are over damped. They are very clean sounding and smooth. Stick them with typical mid fi and they will disappoint. If however you are prepared to build a system around the speaker, the rewards are great.

Stereo Mic, Mar 27, 2006
  19. cab586

Ya-Boo

SM
    have you heard the Vantages with your current kit ?

Ya-Boo, Mar 27, 2006
  20. cab586

Stereo Mic

No Kevan I haven't, but when I went back to dynamic loudspeakers from Logans some years ago, I realised what the panels failed to provide, that snap and energy in the upper bass/lower midrange that propels much modern music.

Having heard the Summits, nothing suggests to me that the new panel has fixed that, indeed I think the Prodigy was probably better in that area.

Stereo Mic, Mar 27, 2006
Ask a Question