Merlin speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by cab586, Mar 25, 2006.

1. cab586

Ya-Boo

Thats why I asked, I remembered you raving about the sl3 you owned a few yrs back,having heard them myself a few weeks ago I'm suprised you enjoyed them so much they are quite different from the Merlin presentation
    BTW they were in a Tact based system
    how your taste in hifi has changed in the past 3/4yrs:)

BTW would you consider a bakeoff at my place your cd7 Berning
    Merlin combi compared to my choice of kit, have room for 6 forum guys, be interesting to see how people reacted to hearing both the differing presentations in the one room

Ya-Boo, Mar 27, 2006
  2. cab586

cab586

great idea ya-boo! i could dem the merlins LOL, if Stereo Mic is up for it.

cab586, Mar 27, 2006
  3. cab586

Stereo Mic

Kevan I had Ascents, not SL3's. They were never used in a Tact based system, the Tact was purchased as I moved and had massive room issues in a space that measured 2 x1 x1!

The move to Merlins was in fact the result of looking for a dynamic loudspeaker that was able to mimic the best aspects of a panel speaker (namely low energy storage, excellent portrayal of micro dynamic shifts, open soundstage and low distortion), but was more domestically acceptable.

The search was extensive and involved listening to most of the well known contenders. I was just getting to the realisation that a panel like dynamic loudspeaker was an impossible requirement when I stumbled upon the Merlins.

So I would have to say that my taste/goal has not actually changed at all over the past 4 years, although the methods used to meet it have varied and given me far greater insight into the hobby which has been fun.

As for a bake off it would be pointless. My solution is tuned to my room, yours to yours. The room is an integral part of any system. I have a valve and vinyl setup that would be considered analytical and cold by some. It is a system built to meet my requirements.Others may like it. They may not. That is of no importance really when you think about it.

What have you got these days anyway? You swap kit more than I used to!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2006
    Stereo Mic, Mar 27, 2006
  4. cab586

Ya-Boo

Sorry, I should have made things clearer, I heard the SL3 with a TACT based system, not saying you used yours with Tact
    The point I'm making{badly}is you have tried most options over the past few years and have come full circle back to a traditional vinyl / valve / 2way speaker system nothing wrong there BTW

The Bake off idea wasnt meant in a which system was better way,just that we have a differing views re presentation and would have been interested in what other members thought about BOTH types of presentation nothing more

trust me I,d love to understand that you and others get from the Merlins honestly,thats why I bought a pair.....
    I now also have the acoustic footprint of my room thanx to Tact which I admit I didnt have when I owned the Merlins, how much difference this would make I,ll now never know
    Mike I get the Vibe that you think I'm dissing the Merlins well this is not the case,just making the point they are not the speaker Equivalent to the holy grail ;)

If indeed your Merlin based system rocked down here no one
    would be more pleased than me

Cab586 I,m sure HIFI GUY has a pair of Merlin VSM's BTW

Ya-Boo, Mar 27, 2006
  5. cab586

Stereo Mic

No Kevan, the internet leads to so much misinterpretation.

I'd say that for some, the Merlins are world class loudspeakers that stand comparison with anything out there. For others they are bland, cold and uninteresting.

It's down to personal perspectives and there is no way the Merlins will ever rock your world, even when used with the proper electronics;) Just as Meadowlark and Spendor loudspeakers will never float my boat. That doesn't make them bad loudspeakers.

All people can do is listen to as many different speakers as possible to form an idea of what presentation they prefer. Then have the backbone to not be swayed by magazines and forum opinion.

Stereo Mic, Mar 27, 2006
  6. cab586

JackOTrades

Isn't Merlin that makes a speaker with the famous tweeter that used to be part of the Electa Amator ?

(supposedly one of the best tweeters ever made, quite expensive but no longer used i believe)

I have this idea that someone mentioned that to me once but I could be wrong. Now I am curious...

Jack

JackOTrades, Mar 27, 2006
  7. cab586

anon_bb Honey Badger

Unfortunetely as I like all types of music it has to.

Stunts ... pah

anon_bb, Mar 27, 2006
  8. cab586

Stereo Mic

Yes Jack, the VSM uses the Esotar D330, as used in many excellent loudspeakers in the past. It's a very good tweeter and certainly the most dynamic sounding unit I have heard.

That's one of the concerns with the VSM. As you crank the volume right up, the Esotar keeps on going whilst the Scanspeak mid woofer starts to suffer. You can put 1kw through the esotar.

The Merlin's qualities however, owe a great deal to the crossover implementation IMO.

Stereo Mic, Mar 27, 2006
  9. cab586

Ya-Boo

It's down to personal perspectives and there is no way the Merlins will ever rock your world even when used with the proper electronics;) [/QUOTE]

meeeeeow :)

I'm sure my Aero DP70 Belcanto pre/power would indeed be humbled by the mighty TSM's
    [/QUOTE]
    Then have the backbone to not be swayed by magazines and forum opinion.[/QUOTE]
    Very true, I won't make that mistake again

Anybody down here in kent want to bring along a quality valve amp in the car and meeting up one Saturday afternoon

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2006
    Ya-Boo, Mar 27, 2006
  10. cab586

Stereo Mic

Sorry Kevan. Just remembering your wonderful exchange with more or less the entire AA membership Kevan, that's all.You must admit you got a lot of advice offered to you!

The TSM's would not work with Bel Canto amplification IMHO. They need something a little different. I don't understand what you are getting at to be honest. The Merlins are only mighty to those who like the sound of them.They are not the universal panacea.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2006
    Stereo Mic, Mar 27, 2006
Ask a Question