Method to the Naiming madness...?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dunkyboy, Nov 27, 2003.

1. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Just out of sheer curiosity, is there any system to Naim's naming/numbering scheme for its pre- and power-amps? It always seemd completely mind-boggling to me...

Dunc

dunkyboy, Nov 27, 2003
  2. dunkyboy

sideshowbob Trisha

For the power amps I believe the number indicates the power into a 4 ohm load.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 27, 2003
  3. dunkyboy

SCIDB Moderator

SCIDB, Nov 27, 2003
  4. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. The pre-amps continue to boggle my poor wee mind, though. Anyone know about them?

dunkyboy, Nov 27, 2003
  5. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Oops, too slow for you SCIDB. :)

BTW, does that mean the 552 is Naim's 55th preamp?!

Dunc

dunkyboy, Nov 27, 2003
  6. dunkyboy

julian2002 Muper Soderator

don;t know what the links say so i9 may be restating but origionally for pre's:
    the last '2' in the name meant 2 channel and the first numbers were the order on which work started on each pre.
    so
    nac 12 is the first naim pre
    nac 32 is the 3rd
    nac 52 is the 5th
    nac 82 is the 8th
    nac 112 is the 11th

note that this is for start of development not date of release.

now it';s got complex presumably the 2 on the front of the new kit i.e. 282 and 252 are the 2nd itteration of these amps with the 500 series being a law unto itself
    that's about it.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 27, 2003
  7. dunkyboy

merlin

NAC552 is in fact the Elvish word for joke spelt backwards

merlin, Nov 27, 2003
  8. dunkyboy

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Expensive Joke spelt backwards :(

wadia-miester, Nov 27, 2003
  9. dunkyboy

merlin,
    careful the word MOON has some unsavoury connotations that i could bring to bear.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 27, 2003
  10. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

And some Elvish ones, for that matter...

dunkyboy, Nov 27, 2003
  11. dunkyboy

Jeremy

Have Naim since the start of their company always been doing things so strangely?

Ive always been baffled why they insist on being so different to any other company ive dealt with and still have problems getting my head around some of their quirky system/component matching rules.

Jeremy, Nov 27, 2003
  12. dunkyboy

merlin

Julian,

A Moon brings a smile to the face of many people. A Naim? Well everyone's got at least a couple, and unless it is particularly amusing or unusual it rarely raises an eyebrow when introduced to the conversation.

Now with the NAC552, it's mention may raise an eyebrow. IF someone says they paid £11K for one, well that just causes fits of laughter even outside of Rivendale.

merlin, Nov 27, 2003
  13. dunkyboy

merlin,
    what a load of arse.

jeremy,
    what rules are you having trouble with?

cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 27, 2003
  14. dunkyboy

Jeremy

Just things like you cant put certain cables with them or they go pop or things and only using specific naim equipment as a pre and power combo or it might go pop, that sort of stuff. And the use of the din plug........do they do that for sound or just as a unique gimmick?:confused:

I'm Sevenoaks y'see so my knowledge with Naim is about -12.5 on the experience scale.

Jeremy, Nov 28, 2003
  15. dunkyboy

jeremy,
    in an all naim system the entire system shares the same earth - i.e. star earthing taken to an extreme. the argument goes that with only 1 earth return between components this is much more easily achieved, a din connection scheme allows this whereas with rca's each lead has it;s own earth return. also there are fringe benefits such as lower connection area a la eichman bullets, you break the ground first so run less risk of zapping your kit if you unplug a compopnent whilst on and if you drop a lead down the back of your kit you cannot make random connections when the lead hits things.
    speaker cable has to be within certain electrical limits. this is because naim leave off a certain circuit called a zobel network. this does something to the impedance seen by the amp aparently and naim believe it degrades the sound so they leave it off and let the speaker cable do the same job rather than it being done twice.
    naim also design their amplifiers to only amplify audiable frequencies plus a bit i.e. 8 - 25 khz (i think). this way the amp isn;t trying to amplify 2nd, 3rd or higher harmonic distortion. this filtering is done in the pre amp hence the recommendation that you should only run naim powers with naim pre's.
    to be honest it can be a bit of a faff but for some the sound is well worth the effort. it certainly simplifies things and you tend to listen to more music without obsessing about cables (well not too much anyway). i hope that answers some of your questions.

BTW. the fitst bits of naim kit i bought (cd5 and nait5) were actually bought from sevenoaks in bedford.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 28, 2003
  16. dunkyboy

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Ah - but here's a (serious) question - can you use Townsend Isolda speaker cable on a Naim NAIT3 (or any other, non-NAIT5i, amp) since it has Zobel networks in it?

I too reckon £11k for the 552 is a sick joke - I heard a rig using that, a CDS2, and those bloody AWFUL SL2s in September 02 and it was pretty poor - if the whole rig was £3k I'd have been more enamoured but FFS - HOW MUCH!? For a flamethrower treble and bass that extended to about 200 Hz - pee poor - and this was on Little Green Bag, which usually grooves like a bastard - even on my old midi system....

I do like my NAIT3 though - good VFM imho.

domfjbrown, Nov 28, 2003
  17. dunkyboy

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Dom

You should be able to use the Townshend cable with naim stuff. I did notice a lot of people using it a shows a few years ago.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 28, 2003
  18. dunkyboy

dom,
    townshend isolda, dnm reson and chord odyssey are favorite non naim speaker cables for those that dislike naca 5. some nordost cables can also be used i believe.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 28, 2003
  19. dunkyboy

Jeremy

Cheers for the help julian. You must have bought your naim a while back, as its been a good few years since Naim was part of Sevenoaks stocked brands. I think they are quite cosy with Audio T/EX now.

Jeremy, Nov 28, 2003
  20. dunkyboy

Alex S User

The preamps are numbered very logically - the 82 is 82 times more expensive than it should be, the 52, 52 times and the 552, 552 times.

Alex S, Nov 28, 2003
Ask a Question