Method to the Naiming madness...?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dunkyboy, Nov 27, 2003.

1. dunkyboy

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Oh Alex Alex Alex, its all change for you now, like the turning of the seasons and tides of the sea.

I can only assume you are upset with yourself for being suckered into naim all these years!

garyi, Nov 28, 2003
  2. dunkyboy

Robbo

Well, at least Alex has realised it ;)

Robbo, Nov 28, 2003
  3. dunkyboy

merlin

And from what i hear he's not the only one!

Naim's main failing for me is that it forces you to listen to your music in a certain way, the Naim way. It kind of focuses your mind on one aspect of the music and cuts out the rest, making it possibly easier to connect with certain styles. Once you've got used to listening in this unique fashion, it becomes more difficult to hear just what is lacking from any Naim systems.

But many people are starting to realise that if you listen in a more rounded way, much of their music has so much more to offer. It's just a question of recognising certain qualities, of re-educating the ear so to speak. Once this is accomplished, it would seem that people can experience more pleasure from their music than they had previously thought possible.

Of course there will always be those who simply don't want to change, who live in a blissful state of denial. There is little point in trying to help out, it's a bit like smokers. They have to want to give up first. This isn't meant to be elitist in anyway, just a view which many share. At the end of the day, if people are happy with their kit and music making, that's all that matters really.

BTW, doesn't the number at the end of Naim gear indicate the cost of manufacture in Pounds Stirling?

merlin, Nov 28, 2003
  4. dunkyboy

mick parry stroppy old git

Merlin

I do not wish to be offensive but that was elitest and condescending drivel.

Who are you to state what makes a good sound.

I like Naim but I have always recognised that other people like other makes.

That posting was total immature schoolboy twaddle and you would do well to delete it.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Nov 28, 2003
  5. dunkyboy

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Certainly I think there is a 'house sound'.

I cant think of many audio companies that dont have a house sound however.

I dont think the house sound changes the way people listen to music. Its just about choosing the way you want your music to sound so that you can best enjoy it.

I do think that its natural and normal to want to stay within a certain type of presentation when you find one you really like.

I'll probably always have a valve amp for example, or something that gives me a similar sound because I like it. Like a Naim owner I dont think Im listening to certain things, just liking what I hear is all...
    ...(which is mostly nasty room reflections in my current living room but Im digressing!! :cry: )

bottleneck, Nov 28, 2003
  6. dunkyboy

Wingnut

I agree, personally I would be disappointed if different manufacturers didn't have their own unique sound, characteristics, idiosyncrasies - whatever you want to call them. That's what make's it fun.

What I find unnerving is the fact that people buy into the marketing hype and forget about what the hi-fi is trying to do - communicate the music to YOU!

I don't think I have ever been 'forced' to listen to any Hi-Fi in a certain way - perhaps the sales rep is telling you to listen to a certain aspect of the music, but I'd say most people would say 'bollox to that' and listen the way they want to.

I remember listening to a Naim system and having my socks blown off, I don't remember anyone telling me how to listen to it, and it was my music so I knew how I wanted it to sound. Equally, I have listened to 30 grand Wadia systems which have left me totally non-plussed

I don't own any Naim Hi-Fi, but I can't understand why there are so many people who are queing up to knock it. It stinks of the 'my car is faster than yours' approach, fortunately, Hi-Fi is not as clear cut as the time it gets from 0-60, there is an emotion attached which can't be measured.

Wingnut

Wingnut, Nov 29, 2003
  7. dunkyboy

julian2002 Muper Soderator

merlin,
    naim does certain things better than other marques and does other things worse. in fact this could be said of any make of hi-fi. your continuing crusade against naim is becomming a sad mirror image of james' crusade on behalf of mana, at least his is a positive message.
    give it up and go back to fiddling with your curves and looking at your tractors ;).
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 29, 2003
  8. dunkyboy

Julian

I agree with you. I have no objection to anyone criticising anything as long as it is done objectively. Unfortunately Merlin's submission was way below the standard one would accept from a school boy, even, from the lower forms.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Nov 29, 2003
  9. dunkyboy

merlin

Wrong as usual:rolleyes:

Far from being childish, my submission (which I might add is simply discussing others experiences) is in fact on a far higher level than even the erudite scribblings of Messrs Parry et all. It's just that they don't yet seem to be able to grasp the complex reasoning behind it.

Still there is little point in debating an issue with those that don't even realise that an issue exists, maybe that very fact proves the point.

PS. Julian, they are diggers mate, and sadly will be no more when I move in the very near future! This time I get to play in a grown ups room!

merlin, Nov 29, 2003
  10. dunkyboy

Merlin

You are begining to make yourself look stupid.

One measure of maturity is to know when to quit and you are well past your time.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Nov 29, 2003
  11. dunkyboy

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Merlin what seems to confuse you is that many thousands upon thousands of users love the naim sound, naim continue year in year out to increase sales to a wider and wider audiance.

You sit in your room tinkering with an EQ and have the audacity to pile in with comments that have no basis whatsoever.

To further confound this, you try to justify it. You stick with your tact mate.

garyi, Nov 29, 2003
  12. dunkyboy

julian2002 Muper Soderator

mike,
    good luck on the move. i'd love to hear your subs when they've got room to breathe and aren't exciting room modes in your neighbors house ;).
    i know that you don't personally find naim to be your cup of musical tea however as gary says there are plenty of people who do. i consider myself to be pretty open minded musically, having heard a fair few systems, most of which weren't naim. whilst they all sounded very good and had their strong points i've always gone away feeling that i made the right choice for me when i chose naim. i'd always advise people to try naim kit in their price range however if they chose to go down another route then fine.
    BTW the offer to come round for a listen still stands. let me know.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 29, 2003
  13. dunkyboy

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

slightly off topic (ok completely off!)

Have you got your new TT yet Merlin?

Chris

bottleneck, Nov 29, 2003
  14. dunkyboy

merlin

Tomorrow Chris:)

merlin, Nov 30, 2003
  15. dunkyboy

The Devil IHTFP

Sadly, a few buy into the anti-marketing hype too. This is why pre-eminent companies producing excellent products find themselves being misrepresented on internet forums by people like Merlin & wadiameister. If they like this form of self-delusion, that's fine. But it is rather boring to read for the rest of us who have open minds.

The Devil, Dec 1, 2003
  16. dunkyboy

Steven Toy

James,

With respect, I never had you down on the list of those with an open mind.

Steven Toy, Dec 1, 2003
  17. dunkyboy

Robbo

Coming from you James, that is probably the worst case of hypocrisy that I have seen on an internet forum for many a year:rolleyes:

Robbo, Dec 1, 2003
  18. dunkyboy

Alex S User

I think James meant open to extreme prejudice :>)

Alex S, Dec 1, 2003
  19. dunkyboy

The Devil IHTFP

Aye Alex.

I only stick the boot in to iffy gear I've actually heard sounding iffy. I think.

The Devil, Dec 1, 2003
  20. dunkyboy

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Lucky you. You've never been grabbed by the tune-dem nazis then.

SteveC, Dec 1, 2003
Ask a Question