Method to the Naiming madness...?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dunkyboy, Nov 27, 2003.

1. dunkyboy

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Cheers Ju and Dean - just curious really as the Rega Planet/Nait3/NACA5/Rega Elas is a nice little combo now there's some bass there :) Nice bit of room rearrangement sorted that one out.

I reckon for the type of music I listen to (punk, rock, dance and some pop) the rig I have is good enough. If I was more into classical than the system is seriously lacking; I can see why Henryt doesn't like my system with classical, but then I go for the more upbeat classical only by choice as well, so stuff that's more delicate can be too forced on the Naim/Rega kit I'm using. But I don't care, as I don't listen to that style of classical very often :)

I still stand by what I say about SL2s though - they suck. And that's the speakers, not the dance act :)

domfjbrown, Dec 1, 2003
  2. dunkyboy

voodoo OdD

LMAO !!!!

And then there's Jon Bon Jovi: the only man ever to defy the laws of physics by being able suck AND blow at the same time :D .

voodoo, Dec 1, 2003
  3. dunkyboy

HenryT

Fair comment Dom. Although there's nothing forced about Rega, their kit is a lot more balanced/even-handed/not-so-polarised in its presentation, IMHO. ;) It's definitely the insessant time beating that screws up classical for me, even in more lively pieces, but if you need a rigid and regular pulse to keep you awake/interested then that's your perogative, just for me that you should be able to switch your attention to any part of the musical message just as I find you can do at concert - something I can't necessarily do on your system (the way it currently is) with certain music (it has nothing to do with tonal accurarcy or realism either).

Still, I think the Naim presentation is very much suited to your personality and hence can see why you like it: hyperactive, nervous, tense and restless. All in the nicest possible way of course. :)

HenryT, Dec 1, 2003
  4. dunkyboy

Wingnut

:D Not yet, but there's still time!

Wingnut

Wingnut, Dec 2, 2003
  5. dunkyboy

Andrew L Weekes

Pot, Kettle, Black

And this from the man that couldn't hear his speakers were out of phase....

A.

Andrew L Weekes, Dec 2, 2003
  6. dunkyboy

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Evening Andy, welcome along sir :)

wadia-miester, Dec 2, 2003
  7. dunkyboy

mick parry stroppy old git

Andy

That is true but neither could a lot of others including a dealer.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Dec 2, 2003
  8. dunkyboy

Andrew L Weekes

Thank you kindly, further contributions will be more positive, I just couldn't resist bearing in mind the constant lectures about 'Naimness' from Mr. Parry, whose opinions on HiFi I shall never trust again ;)

Absolutely - you were only telling me recently how dealer dems of Naim were often so poor. I think sometimes we hear what we want to hear :)

Bestest,

Andy.

9. dunkyboy

Andy

If you want to take the piss, then fine, on this occassion I am an easy target. I have cut and pasted a reply I have just made on the Naim forum.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not wishing to rub salt in but..

Don't worry about putting the boot in, you are not the first and won't be the last.

Now that I have done "the experiment" I cannot understand how I never noticed it but the strange thing is that when I listened to other systems, mine sounded better.

I have a friend with an Arcam system complete with a sub woofer and its bass was still less that what mine was, even when out of phase.

Only last week, a friend came round and vowed to buy Naim kit because he liked what he heard.

It's a funny old world.

Regards

Mick
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That about sums it up.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Dec 2, 2003
  10. dunkyboy

Andrew L Weekes

Mick,

I'm not really trying to take the piss.

You are very keen to express your views to all and sundry about how wonderful Naim is, yet your system sounded so far from what it was capable of, and so far from what I would consider any kind of decent sound it would be frankly laughable.

The point I'm making is I wish you'd cool it a little. For what it's worth I read one of Merlins posts, to which you'd offered some scathing retort to, and found myself in agreement with much of the substance therein. More than in almost any other area of life, HiFi seems to bring out the worst in people - there is no 'one true way' and I try hard not to offer absolutes anymore, just guidance for others to try. One does get used to listening for certain things, in certain ways and it's not until the veil is drawn that you realise what you've been missing.

That so few people have spotted it IS probably indicative of just how bad many systems are and how poorly they are set up. Mine is far from perfect but so far I've not heard a single system in the last 5 years that I'd swap it for at any price, and I'm well aware of it's limitations. Many couldn't live with them, for me they offer the best possible balance for my circumstances and listening.

I think we have got used to exhorbitant prices that have risen year on year, with little significant improvement.

Obviously there are exceptions and many will I'm sure offer theirs to the argument, my point is, cut the lecturing, change the stuck record and stick to offering your experiences, not your absolutes.

Andy.

11. dunkyboy

Andy

By cut out the lecturing I presume you are referring to modding.

I haven't commented on that in ages.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Dec 2, 2003
  12. dunkyboy

Andrew L Weekes

I mean the scratched 'Naim is best' album you keep playing and the consequent rubbishing of contrary views expressed by others.

Andy.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2003
  13. dunkyboy

This will make me more determined.

Andy

I felt that the system was great even when out of phase.

Now that it is in phase, it sounds better thus proving that Naim is an incredible sound. In all seriousness, I have always stated that liking a sound is subjective.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Dec 2, 2003
  14. dunkyboy

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Re: This will make me more determined.

Sorry, Mick, but what it proves in other people's eyes is that: you say it is good for some other reason than that it is actually good. At least, that is one possible interpretation of the results. ( I don't want to take sides, just point out the different conclusions that can be drawn from the same facts.)

On another point on the bass only, out of phase of the bass will only take away a few dB as the wavelength is so long and they are in different places (hence imperfect cancellation). This subtraction can easily be swamped by positioning relative to boundaries, room modes etc. I have a tricky room and in some ways I prefer to run the bass (only) out of phase to partially cancel some annoying upper bass modes, and boost the bass crossover a bit - this as an experiment, not permanent running.

You've done well to take this on the chin, and if sitting in the hot seat and imaging is not one's bag, then it can be missed more easily than others give credit for, I feel. There must be some reason why a quite a lot of the 'Video Essentials' DVD is taken up with seemingly trivial checks of polarity between combinations of 5 channels.

SteveC, Dec 2, 2003
  15. dunkyboy

julian2002 Muper Soderator

so let me get this straight... apprieciation of music is a SUBJECTIVE thing? my goodness what a revelation.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 3, 2003
  16. dunkyboy

Alex S User

Appreciation of Mick is certainly a subjective thing.

Alex S, Dec 3, 2003
  17. dunkyboy

alex,
    everything is subjective. in fact, you are just a figment of my imagination so i am in fact talking to myself. mmmm nice navel.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 3, 2003
  18. dunkyboy

penance Arrogant Cock

Sorry Julian, you are all a figment of MY imagination ( as is Marge MMM) so your only stareing at an imaginary navel from my mind;)

penance, Dec 3, 2003
  19. dunkyboy

pennance,
    you can only do that because i imagined you had an imagination.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 3, 2003
  20. dunkyboy

penance Arrogant Cock

but you only imagined it because................................

penance, Dec 3, 2003
Ask a Question