MF A5 CD - Can anyone explain this?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by unclepuncle, Jun 17, 2006.

1. unclepuncle

unclepuncle

Hi - I bought a Musical Fidelity A5 CD player off ebay for a friend and there is a bizarre problem with the play/pause button on the player.

The unit plays discs perfectly (and sound pretty good if a bit clinical) and can be controlled completely by the remote control so the 5 buttons on the front aren't essential. From left to right the buttons are 'Open/Close', 'Play/Pause', 'Stop', 'Previous' and 'Next'.

The open/close button is a bit tricky, especially when you first turn the player on. You have to push it a certain way to get it to work, but once it works once it seems to work everytime until you turn the player off. The stop, previous and next buttons work perfectly at all times. However, the play/pause button is totally dead when you turn the player on, and remains that way until the player has been on and playing for about 2 hours (not sure exactly how long), and then it starts working perfectly. However, if you turn the player off and then straight back on again, the play button stops working again, until the player has been on for a further 2 hours or so. Can anyone explain why this is happening? If it just didn't work at all I could accept it but why does it work after a certain time - it's like it has to charge up or something. Very confusing, and my friend is not happy.

unclepuncle, Jun 17, 2006
  2. unclepuncle

LinearMan

What a frustrating problem! As it operates after a couple of hours, one might suspect some kind of thermal (mechanical or electronic) related condition, but as it then doesn't work immediately after switch off and on, then this appears unlikely.

It could possibly be a software glitch of some kind. I'm far from being an expert, but perhaps after going through a number of iterations the software recognises the button input but after re-boot (power down) has to again perform the same number of iterations to again recognise the input signal.

Sorry not to be of more help.

On the general advice front ~ was it sold as being in full working order? If so, then approach the seller with a view to a refund ~ don't try to 'fix' it yourself. You'll have very great protection if you paid by PayPal and you have 30 days (I think) to claim through PayPal. You'll need independent proof of the fault, but your friendly local dealer should suffice on that score.

You could, of course, approach MF for some advice. Bear in mind that MF warranties apply to the original purchaser only.

The other alternative is just to leave it on ~ it'll sound better like that (probably) and it'll last longer [exits stage left, running for cover:) ]

LinearMan, Jun 17, 2006
  3. unclepuncle

zanash

Look for a dry joint or hairline crack on the pcb close to the switch ... as the unit warms up the small break is closed and the key operates as normal till it cools and the problem represents.......IMO

contact MF for a fix

zanash, Jun 17, 2006
  4. unclepuncle

Tenson Moderator

Doubt its that or it wouldn't stop working right after a switch on and off. Sounds like a software glitch to me. Have you tried leaving it fully powered off for a good length of time? Say over night. There is probably also a error checking routine you can initiate, ask MF for the sequence of buttons to press.

Better yet, get a refund.

Tenson, Jun 17, 2006
  5. unclepuncle

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

That is a typical intermittent electrical issue on the board somewhere, its not software related. Either that or at some time sticky fingers pressed the buttons so you are getting and intermittent difficult contact and the switching it on and off is a coincidence.

garyi, Jun 17, 2006
  6. unclepuncle

zanash

I would have come back with the software thing ...but thats never going to be a user fix .....As I stated before get mf to give it a look over.

zanash, Jun 17, 2006
  7. unclepuncle

unclepuncle

Many thanks for the suggestions.

I would usually suggest that it is left on all the time but I was wondering about the life of the muvista valves (or whatever they are). Do you think it's ok to leave it on permanently - anyone know the situation regarding valve life and replacement of these specific valves.

It's certainly a very puzzling problem though:)

unclepuncle, Jun 17, 2006
  8. unclepuncle

zanash

you may make them last longer ? its the off/on cycle that provides most of the "wear".

zanash, Jun 17, 2006
  9. unclepuncle

unclepuncle

OK - thanks Zanash. I considered the software issue (on switch on the 1st thing the dispaly shows is 'A5 CD Player V2.0) - but didn't see how it would explain why it starts working after a certain period. I don't want to take it apart myself to see what the PCB looks like so I think I'll just recommend he leaves it on all the time.

unclepuncle, Jun 18, 2006
  10. unclepuncle

nando nando

hi,i am an m.f. dealer, had that problem with only one of many, it is a software problem that m.f. are quite willing to rectefie, if you need a little help to get it done i will be able to offer this service F.O.C. and get m.f. to do the same all your friend needs to pay for is the p&p to get it there, you can use me as a reference, by the way they are no nu-vista valves in that unit or any other a5 series,regards, nando.

nando, Jun 18, 2006
  11. unclepuncle

LinearMan

According to MF there is a valve in the output stage. I quote from their specs:

"mu-Vista (6112) tube output stage."

Of course, there may be a difference between a nu-vista and a mu-vista, but the concern about leaving valves on applies to both. I would leave the unit on and buy a spare valve ready for when/if it fails!

Software was always going to be the most likely culprit ~ it sounds from your post as if MF have had a few problems. MF are not to my taste, but when I did have an MF player that needed a new mech MF were quick to turn the unit around and not too expensive.

LinearMan, Jun 18, 2006
  12. unclepuncle

nando nando

hi, mu-vista and nu-vistor otherways called nu-vista are two different valves, but like you said "quote" it is a software problem, as for being a fan of any manufacture well is up to the individual, no offence intended,all i can do is help as much as i can to any body of products of witch i am a dealer of, within reason,regards,

nando, Jun 18, 2006
  13. unclepuncle

andi

I believe MF have a pretty good atitude to servicing faulty gear. Send it to them might be an idea?

andi, Jun 18, 2006
  14. unclepuncle

zanash

There you have it ......software glich get it off to MF and let them do there magic !

zanash, Jun 18, 2006
  15. unclepuncle

unclepuncle

Ok thats great - at least I know what it is now. Many thanks for the tip nando - I'll PM you to get the necessary info.

unclepuncle, Jun 18, 2006
  16. unclepuncle

unclepuncle

A Big Thankyou to Nando

Further to my recent thread regarding a slightly faulty Musical Fidelity A5 CD player I'd just like to give a great big thankyou to Nando for his very generous help in arranging for the A5 CD player to be serviced at Musical Fidelity.

I wasn't covered by a warranty and Nando had nothing to gain (except my thanks) from arranging this. It arrived back today (no charge for return postage either) and now all the buttons work perfectly.:D

unclepuncle, Jun 27, 2006
  17. unclepuncle

nando nando

thanks paul, glad to be of help.

nando, Jun 27, 2006
  18. unclepuncle

zanash

Lets give a big hand to............NANDO !

zanash, Jun 27, 2006
  19. unclepuncle

gsrai

That's great Nando - top guy!

gsrai, Jun 27, 2006
  20. unclepuncle

nando nando

thanks

all is well that ends well, i think that is inportant in this industry to give suport to good loyal hi-fi members, thanks.nando

nando, Jun 27, 2006
Ask a Question