MF A5 CDP - Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by falconer, Aug 17, 2006.

1. falconer

falconer

Hi.
    I am a newbie to this forum,and I am considering upgrading my CDP,which I think is fantastic,but I think maybe having a clock 4 and NCPS fitted would be money well spent or not.

I would be grateful if any members can give me any first hand experience of this upgrade,and to know if it would be worthwhile.

falconer, Aug 17, 2006
  2. falconer

70sman

don't touch it, you will ruin the resale value, regular oscillators are very stable indeed, these 3rd party mods. have just been gone over by people trying to make money any which way they can, scraping the barrel. They went over various parts with a fine tooth comb seeing which parts could be easily altered.

Digital leads and dig section mods. are a complete waste of money too, its just 0s and 1s, anyone who tells you otherwise is just trying to make cash out of desperate people who want to believe it.

If it really worked, do you not think all the manufacturers would be doing it? Do you think these small 3rd party companies know better than marantz, or pioneer, or sony?

The price of a replacement chip for that is pennies.

spend the cash on cd's, or some very good cheap wire.

audiocom have done mods to the marantzs, and said they have done a cheaper one as the expensive one was such a success, they haven't actually sold a single one.

In that kind of industry, you don't bring out something cheaper if an expensive one is a success, its an acknowledgment of defeat.

70sman, Aug 18, 2006
  3. falconer

LinearMan

Don't do it. You'll never get your money back and may even lower the resale price of your A5.

The A5 is, to my ears, not a particularly impressive piece of kit and represents poor value for money. However, they are nonetheless very popular and you would probably get a good price if you sell it. If you want an improved front end then I suggest you sell the A5, put that money together with what you were thinking of paying for the 'upgrades' and buy a serious CD player.

LinearMan, Aug 18, 2006
  4. falconer

hsam

A least it is better than a Exposure CD.............Well i think so...

hsam, Aug 18, 2006
  5. falconer

unclepuncle

The A5 is exceptionally clear and dynamic and can sound outstanding, especially for the money. It wouldn't suit every system or listener though. I still prefer the more fluid and organic sound of a decent Wadia (though that is more money).

unclepuncle, Aug 18, 2006
  6. falconer

zanash

The A5 is not my cup of tea ...but it will sound better for modding. But as pointed out its resale value will be compromised.

If it was mine I think I'd cash it in and buy a better one ...As I don't know your tastes I would not presume to suggest a suitable replacment.

zanash, Aug 18, 2006
  7. falconer

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

davidcotton, Aug 18, 2006
  8. falconer

hsam

I also use to have the A5 cd.Had it for 5 weeks then i got a KW SACD.Also had the 3.2 and the 3D nu-vista CD.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2006
    hsam, Aug 18, 2006
  9. falconer

falconer

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2006
    falconer, Aug 19, 2006
  10. falconer

LinearMan

LinearMan, Aug 20, 2006
  11. falconer

70sman

Mf do seem to go on the bright side of things, now, I had a nuvista 3D cd player, the sound was appalling, artificial, bright, unlistenable.
    I think its done to impress, but it certainly didn't impress me.

70sman, Aug 22, 2006
  12. falconer

GJO

On a whim,I purchased a Nuvistor,appologies to the person who I sold it to,but I ran it in for hours hoping it would mellow,but it never did,sold it and got an ARC CD3,my ears can now relax :) :)

GJO, Aug 22, 2006
Ask a Question