MF M6i Amp any good?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lord Henley, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Lord Henley

Lord Henley

Was wondering how these amps perform. Im in the market for a new amp, I currently use a Naim Nait XS with a Dacmagic / Hiface / mac mini as the source and realise that the DM is probably the weakest link. I like the idea of having an amp c/w in built DAC and have been looking into one of these amps along with the moon 3.3 which is simalrly priced. Ive tried the naim supernait and was not that keen it gave me a head ache after a while. For the record Ive tried the naim dac and did not find that much difference between the naim and the DM to be honest.

As an alternative I could keep the amp and upgrade the Dac, the XS makes wonderful music. There are quite a few dacs on the market at the moment, ones Ive been considering are;

Weiss with the fire wire option for the mac
    Hold back for the new rega dac
    Hold back for the new m2tech dac
    Or any that others may suggest

Sorry for such a long thread but it kind of gives readers a position as to where I am at the moment

Cheers

Lee

Lord Henley, Oct 31, 2010
  2. Lord Henley

Colin2040

Would you consider an XTZ amp its got a phono and dac and gets great reviews. Might be worth a try .Probably a lot cheaper than the MF amp.

Colin2040, Oct 31, 2010
  3. Lord Henley

Lord Henley

Yes I would, never heard one of these amps but always willing to give them a try. Have you heard one yourself? if so how did it sound?

Lee

4. Lord Henley

nando nando

the mf is far better, in all respects, got one here and putting through rough tests, so far so good,

nando, Oct 31, 2010
  5. Lord Henley

Lord Henley

Whats the inbuilt DAC like? I would be hooking up a mac mini to the USB.

Lee

6. Lord Henley

nando nando

the inbuilt dac is the same as the M1 dac uses spdif and TOSLINK optical, it matches mac perfecly, as well as other digital sources, conpresion is almost none factor, infact the separation and depth of sound it is very very good, although i use analogue and the matching m6 cdp, and mac.

nando, Oct 31, 2010
  7. Lord Henley

Lord Henley

Well Ive got one on home demo at the moment (MF M6i), must admit its a real nice amp, very dynamic and has plenty of PRaT along with plenty of bass, it has certainly woke up my Jamo Concert 8 speakers.

Ive currently got the amp connected with a cheapo pair of interconnects since my Naim interconnect has the din connection and thats the only expensive one Ive got in the house, anyway the Dacmagic is connected to the amp via the I/C, one question I have is that the DM has balanced inputs and so does the MF, would I benefit in loaning a pair of balanced inputs and trying them instead of the I/C.

Ive never had an MF amp in the house before, there tends to be a bit more hiss present is this normal? and there is a slight hum coming from the amp is this normal, I checked the connections and all is ok. Finally with Naim gear you never turn them off is this the case with the MF, I run for about 2 hours last night but it got quite warm so I turned it off after the session.

Any help much appreciated

Lee

Lord Henley, Nov 7, 2010
  8. Lord Henley

nando nando

no none of those faults are normal it is dead quiet and it does not run hot, i leave mine on 24/7

nando, Nov 7, 2010
  9. Lord Henley

Lord Henley

Thanks Nando, i will look into re positioning it in the rack and re-routing the cables, the hum may be coming from the cables being too close together

Lee

Lord Henley, Nov 7, 2010
  10. Lord Henley

nando nando

hi lee that should not be the problem, i used concert 8's with m.f. is the transformer loose??

nando, Nov 7, 2010
  11. Lord Henley

nando nando

pm sent

nando, Nov 7, 2010
Ask a Question