mhzs 88e cd player , anyone heard one

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mickm, Apr 22, 2008.

1. mickm

beckypumps

You cant do wrong with china hifi, its good value for money. Why buy over priced british crap. As for big lies I beleive Russ Andrews just got his bollocks handed to him on a plate. Just look at all the pr crap why buy a crown jewel for 3x the price of a shelter or a red rose instead of Aurum cantus. good luck with your player.

beckypumps, May 2, 2008
  2. mickm

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Mate, I care little for the pro's and cons of Chinese V British Hi-Fi but your description of your player and the Quad 99 hardly sounds like there is 'little between' them -in the world of CD playback those are chuffing (nay, fundamental) huge differences. In addition, I'm afraid I completely lack (from experience) your apparent belief in CD 'burn in' (fingers crossed though).

With regard to lies and misrepresentation - no person or nationality holds the copyright on Bullshit. However, a manufacturer not disclosing the nature of the DAC they use is really quite fundamentally different to stating outright that it is something that it is not.

YNMOAN, May 3, 2008
  3. mickm

enbee23

I wouldn't touch an MHZS with a very long stick.

They deliberately made false claims about the technical content of their product. No way it is any kind of "language issue" either, they bought the cheapest slop they could find and put it under a big and impressively labelled cover. And got caught red-handed.

If I had bought a new car described as having a 500bhp supercharged V8 engine and opened the bonnet to find a big plastic cover marked V8 - 32v etc etc on the top of a 3 cylinder 900cc pissfart special, I can tell you with full certainty that I would not say "oh that's ok, the seats are comfy, the radio sounds nice and it is nearly as fast as my old Ford Focus" :D

Why would I want to give money to a company like that? Thick casework and pretty valves are irrelevant. They are crooks and liars.

If I really needed a bargain, I would buy a second hand player of reputable origin and proven design.

enbee23, May 4, 2008
  4. mickm

O'Shag

Its a dilemma because on the one hand you have mfrs from a country that routinely make false claims and on the other there are some products that offer exceptional value for money. I would have to say the MHZS and Doge players are likely among the latter. Apparent build quality is meaningless without quality sound, but if the sound is good (as would seem to be the case with the MHZS), isn't it a real bonus to have a product that is built well and nice looking for a low price?

O'Shag, May 4, 2008
  5. mickm

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

mick why don't you measure the voltage going into the valves from the opamps and coming out the other end, you'll find it enlightening. They ain't amplifying just modulating.

sq225917, May 4, 2008
  6. mickm

Elberoth

LOL

Elberoth, May 5, 2008
  7. mickm

O'Shag

That would make them....Opmodulators?:confused::D

O'Shag, May 5, 2008
  8. mickm

Elberoth

There is a chance, that if you dump the valves, the player may actually sound better :)

Elberoth, May 5, 2008
  9. mickm

matramurena

@ mickm:

I own a 88e player and I must say it creates an astonishingly good sound. Besides that it really looks great too. There are also plenty of mods possible to get an even better sound out of the player. (removing the op-amp or replacing some caps)

Lately people seem upset about the company though. Mainly because of a claim made by an ebay-seller (not the manufacturer) about having a great DAC that's better than BB. Turns out to be a BB DAC that they use. However this is the babel-fish translation of their own company website:

"Use after special handling 24bit.192kHZ D/A switch
    Uses BB Chip OPA2604 to make the high quality filter circuit, filters the digital signal thoroughly, returns to original state the fine music number."

I think this is were that rumour came from, bad translations. But what's the problem anyway about using the BB Chip? They buy them from BB, they don't copy the chip..... And all they say is that they use a special D/A switch. And about a "non-existing" SONY part-number (allegedly an illigally copied drive system), it turns out that that is the official part number of SONY's China department.

Main thing for me is that the player sound great, looks great and is build very well.

matramurena, Jun 19, 2008
  10. mickm

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Did the ebay seller paint the dac-screening-can so it said 'MHZS24/192 DAC', no did they ****.

This was all over the US forums over six months ago, where they translated the pages and kept the originals before the company chnaged them. As far as i can see it would be hard to describe this as anything other than fraud.

be happy with your cd player but no need to come on here as an apologist for a company who mislead customers.

sq225917, Jun 19, 2008
Ask a Question