Michell Alecto

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ditton, Nov 6, 2004.

1. ditton

ditton happy old soul

anyone experience of these monoblocs?

ditton, Nov 6, 2004
  2. ditton

midlifecrisis Firm member

I have a pair of the Alecto Mark 2s which I bought new after reading the strong reviews when they came out and demming against a few competitors at the time. Gorgeous liquid treble and midrange - sound more like a valve amp in the mids. On bass, normally good but depends on the speaker - loads of grunt out of anything sensible, but can't extract the most out of more difficult loads (I'm thinking of changing mine shortly for a pair of big Brystons to drive my Nautilus 802s - the Alectos do a good job with them but I know I can get more bass out of them). They look very unusual and slick (see my rather fuzzy avatar). They are good value - I demmed a few months ago against a pair of Audionet monoblocks (around £5K) and preferred the Alectos.

midlifecrisis, Nov 6, 2004
  3. ditton

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I'd hold on Midlife, a new 250 mono bloc is nearly ready, they sound damn good too.

wadia-miester, Nov 6, 2004
  4. ditton

from Trichord? that'd be interesting - might be tempting to have them on the bass and the Alectos on the treble...

5. ditton

You might be surprised, you wouldn't need the Alecto's on the treble trust me.
    Sounds a league and half above the older vesions, I do also believe the use some 'Choice components' too

wadia-miester, Nov 6, 2004
  6. ditton

ditton happy old soul

thanks for reply Midlife. I'm after something which can have a bit of grip on my JM Lab Electras without adding too much of its own to what is delivered by my Dax Decade. your description sounds promising - I've opportune to home demo.

do your monoblocs have Mark 2 inscribed? and any ideas on mark 1/2 comparisons?

Wm, are these 250s likely to be v.pricey?

ditton, Nov 6, 2004
  7. ditton

No, there's no mark 2 logo on them - you may only be able to tell by the serial number, from Trichord/Michell, as I think all the changes were internal. I never heard the mark 1s but the reviews in HiFiNews and World reckoned there was a big step up in quality - I remember them picking up on tightness of soundstaging improvements.

8. ditton

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Ditton - I take it these are the ones in Retro Reproductions? What price is he asking for them? I think they are mk1. A few years ago they were regarded as the best ampps to drive Quad E'statics with, so if you get them..... Let me have a shot! :D

I must add, if it is from Retro Reproductions, I've always found him (Graham I think) to be very helpful and obliging... I've currently got an ARC LS7 pre-amp on loan from him as I wanted to try a valve pre with my stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2004
    alanbeeb, Nov 7, 2004
  9. ditton

Lt Cdr Data om

I had both versions in the past.

Personally at the time, I preferred the mk1's, the 2's didn't sound as well balanced to my ears, and the mk1's soundstaged and in comparison the 2's were flatter. I love stage width and depth and projection, so they got my vote.

My ears may have changed now.

Lt Cdr Data, Nov 7, 2004
  10. ditton

ditton happy old soul

encouraging comments. I should book that home demo, maybe a group ticket with Alan.

not wishing to light fires irresponsibly, I've just read a review that confirms soundstage idea with these amps, and suggests use with Mana stands - and it just so happens that I have a 4 tier ...

ditton, Nov 7, 2004
  11. ditton

Ditton,

I'm not sure of the price of them, the case work has just been finalised, I've heard them a quite a few occations, sound damn fair to me, the sound is in the very same vein as the Mk2's, just a lot more of the same every where.
    I'd give Graham a ring and ask him. Wm

wadia-miester, Nov 7, 2004
Ask a Question