Michell Mycro vs Rega P3

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by smallangryboy, Aug 9, 2010.

1. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

It's probably unlikely anyone has had any A/B comparisons of these two decks, but I have the opportunity of getting them and with some swapping of arms and eBaying, they will be roughly the same price.

The Michell is the veteran maybe 10 years old and the Rega is the latest incarnation. Both will be fitted with an RB300 arm.

I've owned a Planar 3 before with RB300 and I liked it a lot, nice and simple, but that was a 15 year old deck which I no longer own. I wondered which of these you would recommend and why?

Thanks in advance!

smallangryboy, Aug 9, 2010
  2. smallangryboy

RobHolt Moderator

As a Rega fan I'd still go for the Mycro, based on owning the Gyro a few years ago.

The Mycro as with all Michell decks represents excellent engineering and makes the P3 look a bit cheap and basic. If it gives most of the Gyro performance, which it should if carefully placed, it should better a Planar/P 3 in all areas.

If you do go for the Mycro, consider the Michell Tecnoweight for the RB300 as this gives a very modest but worthwhile lift in performance.

RobHolt, Aug 9, 2010
  3. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Thankyou, you echo my feelings.

Although a modern deck the P3 doesn't seem to have marched forward much as regards it's engineering since I owned one, whereas the Mycro looks more developed despite it's age.

Would you recommend a particular stylus for this combination, Mycro and RB300 ?

smallangryboy, Aug 9, 2010
  4. smallangryboy

RobHolt Moderator

Denon DL110 high output MC is a great match for the arm.
    You need to spend considerably more to better the Denon IMO.

If you want a MM and don't mind a slightly perky (but super-clean) top end then the Audio Technica AT440MLa is also excellent.

Both £100-£150 depending on seller.

RobHolt, Aug 9, 2010
Ask a Question