Michell Orbe Motor Change

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ken, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Ken

Ken

Has anybody made the conversion from the Michell Orbe with AC motor to the DC motor.

Is this a user operation, if yes, what is the level of difficulty?

Do you need to change the Power Supply?

What is the cost?

Are the results worth it?

Ken

Ken, Feb 26, 2007
  2. Ken

Dick Bowman

Not with an Orbe - but with a Gyro.

If your AC motor is freestanding there's no problem. But if it's mounted to the plinth you'll have to get a big hole cut in the baseplate - unless I'm mistaken the DC motors are all freestanding. Michell did mine, which may not be an option for you.

Yes you do need to change the power supply (and the better power supplies are worth the outlay - I think).

I was very happy with the results - but can't recall the precise costs - Michell would be able to tell you.

Dick Bowman, Feb 26, 2007
  3. Ken

Garmt

I have done it myself (Gyro SE) and it involved some simple soldering. You can do with the standard power supply, but I would strongly urge you to step up to the HR power supply.

Thinking of it, does the Orbe not have it's own feedback-solution motor unit in the latest incarnation? This is better (and different) from the Gyro solution. You might be best off mailing Michell about it... :rolleyes:

Garmt, Feb 27, 2007
Ask a Question