michell pre-amps v audiolab Q

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ziggy72, Mar 1, 2006.

1. ziggy72

ziggy72

i'm using an audiolab Q pre-amp with my trichord (michell) alecto monoblocs into kef 105/3 loudspeakers. although the audiolab is a good pre-amp, would an argo/hera or better still an orca make much of an improvement? also the 105/3 is supposed to be transformed when bi-amped, would a second pair of monoblocs be worth a try?
    any suggestions

ziggy72, Mar 1, 2006
  2. ziggy72

zanash

I had 8000q to me it sounded hard screech metalic even my wife thought it pretty bad..this against my normal quad 77. The michell pre I would image should be streets ahead !

zanash, Mar 1, 2006
  3. ziggy72

badchamp Thermionic Member

I would agree with Zanash, the Mitchell should be a different kettle of fish. All the Audiolab I've heard has been very "grey" and quite dull but those have mainly been integrateds.

Jeff

badchamp, Mar 1, 2006
  4. ziggy72

ziggy72

thanks for the advice fellas, should get decent money on ebay for the Q ... people still paying good money for audiolab gear.
    badchamp i see you have some valve amps. i had innovations series 1000/1st audio with a pair of impulse H2 horns before my present set-up. got shot cos the wife hated the look of them and my hifi is now hidden in a unit. not enough ventilation for the valves unfortunately.

ziggy72, Mar 1, 2006
  5. ziggy72

huuge

orca/alecto might be available

I seem to be going valvular and am toying with parting with my orca(nc power supply&'super' cable) and maybe even my alecto mk2 monos(recently tweaked to 250w by trichord)
    If you can make a sensible offer pm me
    All sounds fantastic

huuge, Mar 4, 2006
  6. ziggy72

ziggy72

i'm interested in an orca at the right price. a second pair of alectos will have to wait till funds permit. if you're interested in seperating them you can email me.

anthony

ziggy72, Mar 4, 2006
Ask a Question