Mini iPod

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by The Moog, Jan 7, 2004.

1. The Moog

The Moog

Hi there all,

Anyone checked out the new Mini iPod? It is just 4Gigs (plenty enough for a good few hours tunes though, even at 320kb/s) Comes in a range of pretty colours and is even titchier than the already none-too-big standard 'Pod... It also brings the price down to within the realms of possibility for a new toy!

The Moog

The Moog, Jan 7, 2004
  2. The Moog

titian

Well, well, the Mac community is quite devided concerning the price.
    Generally everybody was waiting for something around 150$.
    Most say what's the point of buying them: with 50$ more you get 10GB more!
    Only the future will say if it is a good price. ;) :( :) :rolleyes: :confused:

titian, Jan 7, 2004
  3. The Moog

PBirkett VTEC Addict

That new ipod is $250. A one with 3x more capacity costs $49 more. I think it will be a flop unless they drop the price. It had the potential to be a bit of a revelation in the budget portable market, but not at that price point.

PBirkett, Jan 7, 2004
  4. The Moog

The Moog

Yes,

I agree... I was just looking at one of the Mac rumour sites and basing this opinion on them being sold for around the $150 mark...

The Moog

The Moog, Jan 8, 2004
  5. The Moog

Donut

I was waiting for this to be announced and now don't think it was worth the wait. In the UK it is likely to be <£130 while the 15Gb i-Pod is only around £160/170. The mini i-Pod is also not small enough to make enough difference.

Anyone know anything about the Sony ATRAC CD players. I've just seen the £100 DNF711 for £50 in Argos. Whats the normal CD playback like as that's what I'm most likely to use it for?

Donut

Donut, Jan 8, 2004
  6. The Moog

The Moog

Donut,

where can you get a 15Gb 'Pod for £170? The retail is £250, and you can't really get them for any less than that. As for the mini going for £135 I would be very surprised mate! The 15Gig 'Pod is $299 in the US and £248.99 in the UK. That is $453.68 according to today's exchange rate, or 51% more expensive (and it is no better in the rest of the EU). The retail on the 'Pod mini is $250, so you are, unless something amazing, happens you are looking at around £210 for one if you do the maths. £135 I could stretch to, but over £200...

The moog

The Moog, Jan 8, 2004
  7. The Moog

The Moog

Sgt Rock,

they replaced the 10Gig model with the 15Gig in the last 'Pod revision a while ago... which is about 10Gigs more than the 4Gig Mini iPod.

The Moog

As Sgt Rock's post magically disappears..... Pfft!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2004
    The Moog, Jan 8, 2004
  8. The Moog

Donut

I can't remember where I read it but I'm sure that was the figures. It said tha\t the 10Gb was being discontinued and essentially replace with the 15 at the 10 price....maybe I got the figures wrong.
    Donut

Donut, Jan 8, 2004
  9. The Moog

The Moog

Yeah,
    like I said, the 10Gig model was replaced by the 15Gig at the last model revision and the price was kept the same (£249), and that was a good few months ago... Those prices though seem way off though as the 15Gig is now the entry level (and therefore cheapest) model and is still £249.

The Moog

The Moog, Jan 8, 2004
  10. The Moog

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

If you goto www.apple.com/ukstore you will get UK prices!

The 15 gig model is coming at at 258. I would imagine the baby ipod will need to be significantly cheaper. To be honest I don't like the styling, although it is reminisant of early naim remot controls.

TBH I screwed up the tags on my music so am slowly putting it all back on, and I am at the letter F, with a forty gig ipod I will be lucky to get them all on, with the file storage I use as well, so for me the 40 gig was a good investment.

garyi, Jan 8, 2004
  11. The Moog

The Moog

I get it at £248.99 there... Its official retail price...

The Moog

The Moog, Jan 8, 2004
  12. The Moog

michaelab desafinado

I'm going to NY next week (work) and will be picking up a 20Gb iPod for just $380 (about £210) from B+H Photo :MILD:

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 8, 2004
  13. The Moog

Sgt Rock

Yeah I realised I was wrong :)

IMHO the new mini ipod looks a bit naff.

Michaelab, you'll be so happy when you get your 20Gb iPod.

Get a USB2/Firewire cable, a cover to protect the case while you're there and maybe an iTrip, the case supplied by apple like the headphones are a bit naff.

http://www.ipodlounge.com/ is the best place to look for iPod info.

Sgt Rock, Jan 8, 2004
  14. The Moog

Mr rock the new mini is going after the market currently covered with flash memory products such as the hideous 'reo'

As such I think it looks rather smart considering, but I agree a pink one would be a bit OTT

garyi, Jan 8, 2004
  15. The Moog

Sgt Rock

You think it will at that price ?

Quoted from ipodlounge :-

"Yet Apple's UK arm announced on Tuesday that it plans to sell the device for £38 more, at £199, immediately sparking an outcry from the company's European customers."

Sgt Rock, Jan 8, 2004
  16. The Moog

The reo cost £70 and can hold 60 songs, the mini even at £199 will hold a 1000 songs.

If you do the math its still a lot cheaper.

garyi, Jan 8, 2004
  17. The Moog

The Moog

Hmm,

Unfortunately it just ain't as simple as "doing the math"... and even if you do it still doesn't make sence. Firstly the mini is not really loads smaller than the fully fledged 15Gig 'Pod and that holds 3700 for £249. Do the math on that.

Secondly, if you can't afford to go and spend £200 on an MP3 player, but can afford to spend £60 then you can do as much math as you like but you still won't buy a mini.

I think Apple have missed the mark completely with this product. It's not smaller enough and cheaper enough when compared to the normal 'Pod... Personally I don't the look of it either, the 'Pod looks loads better, but that is obviously personal opinion...

The Moog

The Moog, Jan 9, 2004
  18. The Moog

Moog time will tell, apple are currently the market leader in MP3 devices, and this covers every device on the market.

The original ipod although expensive has helped towards the shipping and selling of over 2,000,000 units.

The ipod mini will be a massive success.

I'm not fussed I have the 40 gig model.

One other thing, people will WANT to own an ipod, the rest of the compitation is simply what people buy because they want some portable music, its a big big difference.

garyi, Jan 9, 2004
Ask a Question