Minimalist PMC AML1 based setup - opinions needed.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dami0n, Nov 19, 2008.

1. dami0n

dami0n

Minimalist Setup

I am thinking of setting up a very minimalist setup similar to others mentioned here. It will consist of the following:

Speakers: PMC AML1 Active Speakers
    Source: Either one of the following sources:
    a. Slimdevices Transporter
    b. Linn Majik DS
    c. Squeezebox + Benchmark DAC-1

I have 2 questions:

1. Which do you think would be the best source(in terms of pure sound quality)?
    2. Do I need a preamp for any of these sources?

I'd also be interested to hear of peoples' experiences with the AML1s as this will be my first foray into pro-audio speakers.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Dami0n

dami0n, Nov 19, 2008
  2. dami0n

icehockeyboy

I would go for the SB3 and Benchmak route, for no other reason other than I recently bought an SB3 and use it into my Theta dac.
    I really do think a dac needs to come into the equation, so that counts out the Transporter if there is a limit on your budget.
    Dont forget you will need ample hard drive space after youve ripped your cd's, especially if using a lossless format, which makes them virtually indestinguishable from the original cd.

icehockeyboy, Nov 19, 2008
  3. dami0n

MontyW

Dami0n,

I went the Apple Mac Mini > USB > Benchmark DAC1 > PMC AML1 and think it is an amazing set-up. As simple as it gets!

Just want to through another pair of speakers into the equation that are a similar price to the AML1 - Klein & Hummel O410 an active three way speaker, bigger than the AML1, but they kick ass!

Monty

MontyW, Nov 19, 2008
Ask a Question