Mission 781

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by saddam, Nov 29, 2003.

1. saddam

saddam

Hey, some off you guys might know me from the HFC forum but its so slow on there that i thought id register myself here too after all the good things PBirkett has said about you guys.

Anyways, Hyperfi have these aformentioned speakers for £250 brand new boxed (whats more they actually HAVE them, ive called to check).

Cant find many reviews about them, i know the 780's are highly regarded so i presume the same is true of these but if any one has any experience of them id be grateful :D

To go with Nad C541i and Arcam A65+

Cheers

saddam, Nov 29, 2003
  2. saddam

Rory satisfied

*picks himself up from the floor- Hyperfi have something :eek: *
    781s- not bad- 780s with a tad more kick and low end.

imo Missions err on the brightish side- if you can live with that, at £250, iirc thats £150 off RRP, not that bad a buy. You could however get some Quad 11ls, brand new, off Ebay for £300. I'd go for them. Far more grown up, proper hifi. And lovely finishes :p

Rory, Nov 29, 2003
  3. saddam

dunkyboy

From my very limited experiences of Mission's 78 series, they're not at all bright. Much more refined and "grown up" sounding than the lower ranges.

Dunc

dunkyboy, Nov 30, 2003
  4. saddam

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Just to counter what Rory was saying, I didnt like the Quads at all when I heard them, the main thing with them being their slowness and lack of bass. Good cure for insomnia. Never heard the 78x series although I doubt they are bass monsters either.

What kind of music do you listen to?

PBirkett, Nov 30, 2003
  5. saddam

MO! MOnkey`ead!

The 780s don't do bass! They do the mid's well, but there's no ultimate low end. What there is is well controlled and works fine with some music, but is shown up by MOre demanding bass heavy tracks.

I'd imagine the 781s are MOre of the same with a bit MOre below! There WHF review wasn't great IIRC saying where they gained in the lows, it ultimately compromised the rest of the sound. I think they were £500 new, not £400.

Worth a listen, and they could be just the thing for you. However, there's a few others available and may wish to try them too.

MO!, Nov 30, 2003
  6. saddam

saddam

Mainly listen to Rock music. Demoed the Kef Q1's and really liked them but just saw the offer in Hyperfi and thought they might be worth a look.

Also looked at Rory's suggestions the MS902sigs but wasnt greately impressed.

Any other suggestions for demoing or offers too good to miss would be kindly appreciated.

saddam, Nov 30, 2003
  7. saddam

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I'd keep my peepers peepin for a set of s/h dyn's! Will be a bit MOre than £250, but would hopefuly be worth the extra in the long run.

Give them an audition (along with anything else the dealer has in that price point), and if they do it for you, have a nose around the s/h sites.

MO

MO!, Nov 30, 2003
  8. saddam

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Also if you can't hear the missions before you buy them don't! It may be money saved but a bit of a waste if you don't like the speakers.

davidcotton, Nov 30, 2003
  9. saddam

saddam

I know this was one of my main concerns :s

My room isnt particulaly big either, its quite long but narrow so i dont want anything too big, hence why im not using the Wharfedale Pacific floorstanders which have now been 'relegated' to a home cinema setup.

saddam, Nov 30, 2003
  10. saddam

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I found the 780s were ok with smaller rooms. But when put into larger rooms, obviously still BIG, they sounded much better. Rather than suffering from overpowering bass in a tiny room (which I used to use them in), they just had *no* bass! Now in a small, rather than tiny room, they're still no bass kings, but sound much better.

MO!, Nov 30, 2003
  11. saddam

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I didn't try the 781 but the 780 is a very ncie little speaker. Ultimate bass thump is a bit lacking but they work very well with a decent subwoofer (REL Storm in my case). They have a superb midrange, very clean and clear and musical. Treble is also pretty fine and definitely not bright. They are well balanced in my opinion. I didn't stick with them because I wanted more volume than they could provide but if your room is 4x4m or less then these would be a good choice. The 781 will give more bass and a bit more level than the 780.

technobear, Dec 1, 2003
  12. saddam

MO! MOnkey`ead!

13. saddam

Gambit Junior Vice President

Gambit, Dec 1, 2003
  14. saddam

MO! MOnkey`ead!

10% yeah? ;)

MO!, Dec 1, 2003
  15. saddam

Gambit Junior Vice President

In the post.

oh, shit, pending sale, pending sale!

Gambit, Dec 1, 2003
  16. saddam

saddam

Very nice offer, but anyhow, cant afford any till after xmas anyway! :D

Think im gonna go for either the missions or the kef's i demoed. Would you guys think the Dyn's would be an improvement over these two then?

saddam, Dec 2, 2003
  17. saddam

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Well that's up to you.

All three are well regarded and reviewed.

You should be able to get a deMO of all three. Seven oaks will stock them all. I think MOst people would perhaps vote for the dyn's! (make that 20% cut).

You've really got to try them yourself though mate!

MO!, Dec 2, 2003
Ask a Question