Mobile base for Hifi Rack

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by cliffyboy, Dec 19, 2008.

1. cliffyboy

cliffyboy

Hi all.

I have designed a very basic base for my two Atacama Equinox stands. The reason being is that ideally I would like to be able to move all my equipment at the same time to access cables and so forth.

The base is of three laminated strips of wood, with a cavity to allow it to be sand filled very similar to a stand that was mentioned on PFM some weeks ago (flexy????). The base allows for both stands to sit on top without any further movement.

The problem I have is the mobile section of this base. As I am concerned that after the hardwork of building the base, that the wheels, bearings etc etc that allow movement will impair the sound.

My other issue is that the mobile section of the base must support upto 120kg of weight due to the components on the shelves.

Do any of you have any suggestions for my strange idea.

The base is being built as we speak and I have left 10cm square sectionsin each corner to allow fixing of wheels or what may advised on this forum.

Look forward to hearing your opnions.

Many thanks in advance.

cliffyboy, Dec 19, 2008
  2. cliffyboy

lbr monkey boy

how about immobile feet (spikes?) and slide a couple of wheeled jacks underneath when you want to move it all?

lbr, Dec 19, 2008
  3. cliffyboy

cliffyboy

Got TBH, i was hoping to have permenant wheels of some description due to the fact that I tend to do a lot of demos, for friends and other forum members.

I have some wheels in mind, things that look a little like castors???

Just would like something rigid and strong to support the weight of the equipment, even considered large ball bearings, would that work????

cliffyboy, Dec 19, 2008
  4. cliffyboy

sastusbulbas

Here are a couple of links,

To be honest 1" ply is not too bad for a base, but if building a sand box it takes the weight up considerably, and may require bracing to stop bending in the middle.

Sand boxes as it sounds like you have constructed are heavy, and combined rack weight, plus kit, plus movement? Get decent wheels.

Pneumatic castors are desirable, think of them as Seismic sinks LOL. The Footmaster series may also be worth investigating?

http://www.rosshandling.co.uk/castors2.asp

http://www.castors-online.co.uk/acatalog/index.html?gclid=CP_joLKp0pcCFQtCMAodByFxDQ

sastusbulbas, Dec 21, 2008
  5. cliffyboy

DavidF

"The problem I have is the mobile section of this base. As I am concerned that after the hardwork of building the base, that the wheels, bearings etc etc that allow movement will impair the sound."

Yes they will big style

"how about immobile feet (spikes?) and slide a couple of wheeled jacks underneath when you want to move it all?"

....one idea ....without damaging the basic design concept of the stands

DavidF, Dec 21, 2008
  6. cliffyboy

Deaf Cat

Deaf Cat, Dec 21, 2008
  7. cliffyboy

sastusbulbas

Like I said, pneumatic tyres will act in a similar manner to Townsend seismic sinks, caus they contain inner toobs.

The other feet are adjustable solid or wheels at the turn of a dial.

As it is already a sand box any effect will be minimal anyway.

sastusbulbas, Dec 21, 2008
Ask a Question