Modified CD players

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Jackthebiscuit, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Jackthebiscuit

Jackthebiscuit Allrise

We all want the best bang for buck when it comes to hifi, and that has caused many of us to turn to modified cd players (me included).

The Marantz CD63 is at least at the moment, one of the tweakers favourites, and on EBay, there are quite a few individuals offering their skill (supposedly) in tweaking this particular player.

Here is my story. Whilst I didn't purchase one directly though Ebay, I aquired a CD63 from someone who had, and its spec was music to my ears! Giant killer, or at least Naim CD5/hicap killer I was lead to believe.

However, that was where the honeymoon ended. Yes its sounded very nice, but in my quest to wring out the max from it, I sent it to someone who I trust to do the right thing, to squeeze out those last few %. Their diagnosis was fairly damming.

Apart from almost electrocuting someone, due to the powercord not having been attached properly, many of the aftermarket bits were poorly fitted, and a fair amount of the supposed modification work actually needed removing and either replacing or refitting properly.

I wont name and shame as I didn't actually buy from this individual, but I know who he is, and would urge any prospective buyer to consider how big a risk they wish to take in pursuit of audio excellence.

I've started, so now I'll finish. The player I possess sounds fabulous, due to primairily to a clever man who did what should have been done in the first place.

Rant over and I can't stress enough Caveat Emptor. I also hope there are enough clues within this, to guide those to the right modder!

JTB

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2005
    Jackthebiscuit, Nov 12, 2005
  2. Jackthebiscuit

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Rules me out !!!!!!!!!!

wadia-miester, Nov 12, 2005
  3. Jackthebiscuit

zanash

Not me either !

If you need any advice............I'm familiar to some extent with the 63, just ask !

zanash, Nov 13, 2005
  4. Jackthebiscuit

shanesndsurgry releasing the music

Hi I would like some advice on possible mods to my moon nova player. Basicly I'm really happy with it (V.musical) but starting to believe this might be able to be improved internaly.
    I'm experienced with external mods and believe I'm getting the best out of it in the area of cables iso feet etc.
    any ideas or suggestions websites to read up on?

shanesndsurgry, Nov 13, 2005
  5. Jackthebiscuit

SS,
    As you guys sell Vertex stuff, give a JC a tinkle he'll pleased to help you out I suspect. :)

wadia-miester, Nov 13, 2005
  6. Jackthebiscuit

LinearMan

As I've said before, modifying components seems pointless to me. If you don't like the sound, buy something different.

OK, for those with knowledge & practical experience it can be an interesting challenge and develops skill. But most hi-fi enthusiasts do not fall into this category. All they will get is a reduced value component and, even if the sound is 'better', they'll doubtless be moving it on in a fairly short time in any event, due to the very powerful addiction that is upgradeitis.

In this particular case, had a serious accident occurred then the modifier would certainly be liable on a personal level. A claim could run into hundreds of thousands ~ enough to financially wipe out most of those on this forum I suspect. And all for what, exactly? And if the worst occurred and a life were lost, what price modification then?

LinearMan, Nov 13, 2005
  7. Jackthebiscuit

A little scaremongering LM.

8. Jackthebiscuit

screammm...

9. Jackthebiscuit

screammm...

Hey wadia-meister is Coherent yours?

10. Jackthebiscuit

SS, along with a couple of others yes

11. Jackthebiscuit

LinearMan

From the original post:

That's reality, not scaremongering.

And the settlements for claims based on an inability to work, loss of bodily function, etc., run into the figure I mentioned. Fact.

Doubtless WM has public liability insurance and is clearly competent to carry out mods. Others may not be.

LinearMan, Nov 13, 2005
  12. Jackthebiscuit

zanash

Sorry LM....I think, you perhaps need a little more research....the shear act of the owner asking someone else to undertake the work abrogates any responsiblility or so I'm informed. Much in the same way a first aider can't be held responsible if they have tried to help and by there actions things go wrong.

As to further web sources you need look no further than the articles section of the forum. These mods out lined are designed to enhance a players capabilities rather than change the charactor of the unit.

zanash, Nov 13, 2005
  13. Jackthebiscuit

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Zanash said
    'Much in the same way a first aider can't be held responsible if they have tried to help and by there actions things go wrong.'

Actually not a clear cut as you may think. This is why the teaching unions advise against teachers becoming named first aiders in schools.

Bob

Bob McC, Nov 13, 2005
  14. Jackthebiscuit

Stereo Mic

I would have thought things were different if you were paying for the service?

Stereo Mic, Nov 13, 2005
  15. Jackthebiscuit

Yes public liability insurance is a requirement by LAW for anyone involved in this.
    They are other implications as well.
    All equipment modified should be throughly bench & soak tested before dispatch to customers.
    There a one or two upgarders who are of the very highest order of workmanship, to tar everyone with the same brush is not justified.
    However, all work should be garanteed for at least 3 months from faultts and defects.
    A portfolio of previous work should be made avaible to the customer IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2005
  16. Jackthebiscuit

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Even if you're not, it doesn't take a particularly imaginative lawyer to show that anyone using a piece of modified equipment is owed a care of duty by the person modifying it.

I-S, Nov 13, 2005
  17. Jackthebiscuit

inteificio

Erm I am just curious.

Has anyone here listened to a modified Avondale modded Arcam Alpha 5+. They rave about them over on pinkfish. Then again on pinkfish they rave about anything with the word naim scratched on it. As I have never heard any Naim I do not know if i will like the sound!

Avondale are very nice and let everyone test their kit but I feel guilty doing that when I do not have the money at the moment. I choose something I might like and use that as motivation at work to earn it (large commision % in my last job)
    I would feel bad borrowing a CDP with no intention of buying it unless I hit my next target. Which at the moment is just getting a dam job!

inteificio, Nov 13, 2005
  18. Jackthebiscuit

Anex Thermionic

Just borrow it! They'll understand you want to take your time deciding. I always start borrowing stuff months before I have the money, I know exactly what to do with the money when I have it then. If I have the cash I find I tend to rush into stuff more which sometimes means making the wrong decision. The only problem with that is when you find the right thing you have give it back for a bit :mad:

Anex, Nov 13, 2005
  19. Jackthebiscuit

Jackthebiscuit Allrise

Peter,

Regarding your Avondale query, I've owned the Arcam and the Naim players they modify. Both are very nice, but neither sound as good as the marantz I'm currently using. However, Avondale offer a warranty on their products which is 2nd to none.

JTB

Jackthebiscuit, Nov 13, 2005
  20. Jackthebiscuit

Neil

I've a modded Alpha 7 - replaced a good DPA transport /DAC which had to go for financial reasons. Mods were done by Net Audio (of Quad tweaking fame - I've their very nice 303 power supply mod in my 2nd system but didn't bother with the 33 board changes) and include a clocking modification with power supply, op-amp and capacitor changes. To be honest the result was pretty impressive (even factoring in expectation / expence etc. ) It runs more expensive players pretty close, I've compared it with Alpha 9, a FMJ player (can't remember model) and a Cyrus 8. I'd support the idea of modification wholeheartedly - just wish my soldering skills were better ......

Neil

Neil, Nov 13, 2005
Ask a Question