Monarchy Audio DIP Upsampler

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Will, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Will

Will The Lucky One

I'm interested in your experiences with this bit of kit, though I am more interested in the 48/96 version thank the mk1.

I am trying to get better performance out of my modded M-audio superdac which is apparently rather jitter sensitive, my transport is a Cambridge Audio discmagic which is connected to the DAC via AES/EBU connection - I expect this is hardly the last word in low jitter! The DIP claims to reduce jitter as well as upsample, and if I can get one for £100 or so (as is possible) then I may be tempted.

Reading around there seems to be very mixed views on the effects on the sound, some say it does nothing, some say it kills the dynamics, some say it improves detail and soundstaging massively!

I'd get the transport clock modded first but I'm somewhat loathe to splash out ~£200 for a trichord clock 4 on a transport that only cost me £88, and I'm unsure the clock 2 would offer any improvement (its quoted 50ppm accuracy is the same as cambridge claim for the standard discmagic clock). So I'm pondering the upsampler as something that would give me some improvement in sound that could be carried over to a better transport later down the line.

My system comprises the following:

B&W 602 (on atacama stands)
    Marantz PM7000 amp
    Modded Superdac
    Cambridge discgmagic 1 transport
    Trichord/Olson mains filters
    VDH cabling

In terms of improvement I'd like a slightly less harsh 'digital' sound in the treble, and better imaging - would the Upsampler help any with this? Or is there another weak (I've been told by different people that the speakers are the cause of the harshness, or that i should clock the transport, or change the amp....).

:)

Will, Sep 11, 2005
  2. Will

technobear Ursine Audiophile

My experience suggests that those speakers are not harsh but are quite bright sounding and therefore very revealing of shortcomings in the front end. You're digital source will most likely be the source (ahem) of the harshness. Either get a speaker that is more foregiving (i.e. better balanced) like the Castle Conway 3 or do something with the front end.

My Arcam CD192 uses upsampling to very good effect and is notably smooth in the treble whilst also being very detailed with good imaging and a big soundstage and it certainly doesn't seem to lack dynamics.

technobear, Sep 11, 2005
  3. Will

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i've tried the mk1 dip and a bheringer sample rate converter and to be honest the differences were minimal. the best improvement was switching transports (squeezebox 1 to squeezebox 2) this improved power regulation, clock and internal architecture. about the best jitter busting you can get is either a big ben or genesis digital lens. however you could get equally good results with just the clock / psu upgrade - alternatively join the 21st century and get a squeezebox 2 for about 180 quid and rip your cd's as flacs. the sb2 has measured jitter of 65ps which some 10k+ transports struggle to match. as has been mentioned on numerous threads before it's not the transports jitter that really matters it's your dac's sensitivity to this jitter that makes the difference - you can either fix the dac or the transport.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 11, 2005
  4. Will

Will The Lucky One

I'd get a squeezebox like a shot as it seems a superb solution but unfortunately circumstances mean that I have to have the PC in the same room as the hifi - unfortunately that whilst its quoet, its still noisy enough that its not really ideal to have it on when I want to do some 'proper' listening! Unless I build another PC or pick up one off ebay cheaply I don't think its viable.

Think I'm gonna give the upsampler a miss though - far too many people say it doesn't do anything for my liking!

Will, Sep 12, 2005
Ask a Question