Monarchy Audio Upsampler

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by BlueMax, Mar 11, 2005.

1. BlueMax

BlueMax

Many people claim major improvements when a Monarchy Audio 48/96 Upsampler is used with transport dependent DACs such as Super DAC 2496.

The manufacturer is currently offering it for USD299 including shipping. Even abroad to UK! They will wire it FOC for UK voltage if you ask. £158 at the current exchange rate of $1.90 per UKP. Compares well with the UK distributor price of £399 plus delivery charges.
    Email for Monarchy Audio is [email protected]

Too early to say but I might get away without having to fork out for import duty, VAT and admin fees by the carrier :D
    Fingers crossed!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2005
    BlueMax, Mar 11, 2005
  2. BlueMax

angi73

will be very interested to see how you get on, keep us posted

angi73, Mar 11, 2005
  3. BlueMax

michaelab desafinado

I tried a Monarchy 48/96 upsampler with my DAC64 a while back and it basically sucked all the life out of the music YMMV. Bear in mind that the difference I mention in the previous sentence is in hifi forum speak where even the subtlest of differences is describred as something huge. In actual fact the difference was extremely subtle but I definitely preferred the sound without the Monarchy in the chain.

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 12, 2005
  4. BlueMax

BlueMax

Super DAC use CS8414 digital interface decoder chip. It has a PLL on board that lock to the incoming datastream and regenerates the clock. Super DAC therefore can not be re-clocked. It relies on the accuracy of the clock in the transport or a device such as DIP 48/96 Upsampler. DIP 48/96 boosts incoming signal, de-jitters (timing errors) and then re-clocks.

DAC64, on the other hand, has its own its FIFO input buffering and local reclocking.

DIP 48/96 Upsampler also dithers, increasing the bit rate from 16 to 24 bits and then upsamples the frequency from 44.1kHz to user selectable 48kHz or 96kHz. Thereby making full use of 24/96 capabilities of DACs such as the Super DAC 2496.

There is better than usual review at SoundStage!/Planet at
    http://www.soundstage.com/planethifi/planethifi200203.htm

Will know for sure when I get the DIP 48/96 Upsampler hopefully next week.
    This will the forth box between my CDP and amp :eek:

BlueMax, Mar 12, 2005
  5. BlueMax

BlueMax

Parcel Force delivered the Upsampler yesterday. Four days after it was despatched from California via USPS Global Express.
    Free delivery, no import duty, VAT or admin charges. :)

VISA exchange rate was 2.7% below market rate and I paid £160.64p.
    Price from Wollaton Audio, the UK Distributor, is £399 plus delivery charges. :eek:

If anyone want to know how to go about buying one, PM me.

BlueMax, Mar 22, 2005
  6. BlueMax

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I wouldn't hold your breath about those charges, PF will bill you within 30 days they don't forget trust me. LOL

wadia-miester, Mar 22, 2005
  7. BlueMax

BlueMax

Have imported loads of stuff for motorbike, cars, photography, aviation, etc over the years from other countries. On occasions I 'got done' by Her Majesty's. Whilst FedEx and similar invoice you later, PF always asked for money on the nail. Besides, when there is no value shown in the documentation, HM Customs (if they want to be difficult) hold the goods and ask for an invoice. All clear this time. :)

Depends a lot on how one goes about doing these things. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2005
    BlueMax, Mar 22, 2005
  8. BlueMax

BlueMax

The Upsampler is very well built with thick aluminium chassis and cover that should provide a good shield. Internal layout is clean and free from wires. Components used are well specified.

But as usually is the case, tweakers will find room for improvements. Schottky diodes, op-amp changes, Blackgates, OS-CONs, Rubycons, .......?!

Only minor criticism is that it use an internal PSU. When Paul Miller reviewed the original DIP in Hi-Fi News (some years ago) he noticed 210ps Peak-to-peak jitter at 100Hz originating from PSU switching.
    http://www.monarchyaudio.com/DIP4.htm

An external PSU circuit could be incorporated into the toroidal Tx that is already there in Tony's 'DIY PSU' for the Super DAC.

BlueMax, Mar 23, 2005
  9. BlueMax

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I did tweek right up, the reg is very poor too, prime canidate for a andy weeks job, put the dac and the upsampler in a bigger box, with some seperate faradat cadges, thats helps too), the P1-a was much much better IMHO

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2005
    wadia-miester, Mar 23, 2005
Ask a Question