Monitor Audio GR10's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Matt F, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Matt F

Matt F

Any of you guys got any experience of the MA Gold Reference 10 standmounts? All the reviews I have read are positively glowing but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has actually auditioned them.

Reason I ask is that I'm going to have to change my grille-less M&K monitors for something a little more robust (i.e. child proof) and there seem to be a few pairs of GR10's floating around ex-dem for £600 ish which seems like good value.

Being a stereo and multi channel person, I would partner the GR10's with the Gold Ref Centre which is said to be excellent.

One alternative to the GR10 GR Centre are the MA Silver series as there are some real bargains on the older versions. I could pick up a pair of 9i's and a 12i centre for about £800 but I don't know how close quality wise these would be to the GR's (although, obviously the 9i would move a lot more air then the GR10).

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt.

Matt F, Aug 13, 2003
  2. Matt F

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

HI Matt, The GR10's are cracking little speakers, fast Dynamic and articulate, and deep bass for a stand mount, but they can be cold andf a little shy in the mid band :rolleyes: Easily fixed though, the Gold ref centre is cracking also (i've just finished tweeking it up) lovely detail and speed, very open too.
    I used to have the gold ref 20 package, a few of the guys have heard it, quite liked it, my processor isn't as good as yours, but I can do the Biz if required.
    I usded to run Gr10's on the rears, but swopped for GRFX's easier mounting plus di-pole configurable tweets.
    Nice finish and build quality too Matt. WM

wadia-miester, Aug 13, 2003
  3. Matt F

Rory satisfied

Rory, Aug 13, 2003
  4. Matt F

Matt F

Thanks for that Tone. Do I take it then that you preferred the GRFX's diffuse sound for rears compared the the direct GR10's? I wonder if the GR10's might be better for multi channel music and teh GRFX's for movies.

Reason I ask is that, if I were to get the GR10's and GR centre, then an obvious future upgrade would be to move the 10's to the back and get a pair of GR20's up front.

Also, would it be fair to assume that the GR range are a fair bit better than the older Silver series? Thing is, an alternative to the Golds is a pair of Silver 9i's and a Silver 12i centre.

Finally, going way off the beaten track, another good value package I have seen is the Castle CAV Stirling at £1K (2 x Stirling III floorstanders, a Bastion centre and 2 x Richmond rears) - they are stunning looking speakers but, again, I have a feeling that they are not in the same league as the MA Gold Ref's.

Matt.

Matt F, Aug 13, 2003
  5. Matt F

Matt F

Thanks for that Rory - I did actually see those but I'm preferably after a black pair or, at a push, cherry.

There are plenty about thankfully.

Matt.

Matt F, Aug 13, 2003
  6. Matt F

Matt, multi channel doesn't intrest me, as I've yet to a herar one I can live with, I feel the GRFX's are miles better at both :eek: plus the extra's you get at car crash times, plus ease of mounting.
    The Gold series, is about to be upgraded wiyth the platium range inclluding a £2,5K s/mount, so what for bargins :)
    Haven't heard the Castles so can't comment, but the Gold is better than the silver, by about 30-40%, plus it doesn't take a lot to improve them :) more natural mids and tighter bass and sweeter tops are possible
    I still use the GRFX's and GR centre, but only for movies. hope that helps a bit matt. WM

wadia-miester, Aug 13, 2003
  7. Matt F

Mandeep

Matt posted over on HFC.

WM you seriously think the gr10 would be better by 30-40%?
    Even over the 9i.

I think I'm going to have to try a pair.

Mandeep, Aug 14, 2003
  8. Matt F

Mandeep, If you read it, I was comparing the 9i's to the GR20's, the 10's just won't have the bass slam, but the do have the attack and a touch more too.
    The new silver 10's arn't bad either :) , they are worth a listen. WM

wadia-miester, Aug 14, 2003
  9. Matt F

Matt F

Well, I picked up a pair of 2nd hand GR10's on Saturday for £400 including a pair of Atacama stands. Blo*dy bargain but, strangely, the stands the guy had them on were 100cm ones!

Anyway I took the stands off him and am selling them on and I picked up a pair of 2nd hand Atacama SE24's today locally - nice big top plates which suit the GR10's perfectly.

First impressions - very good indeed and, as WM said, a surprising amount of bass for a 36cm high stand mount - detailed but not bright, very good imaging (and good depth to the image).

Also picked up the matching Gold Ref Centre ex-dem from Sevenoaks - I think that needs a bit more running in though as they didn't have it on display long - apparently black ones are not popular as display models.

Anyway, all's fine and dandy and my new sub should arrive on Wednesday (but as it's coming from Richers I'll believe it when I see it). Not sure I will need the sub for music but it's always there if I do.

Just shows you what value you can get 2nd hand and ex-dem - in my case £1300 worth of front speakers for £775 including stands!

Matt.

Matt F, Aug 25, 2003
  10. Matt F

Matt, glad you like them :) for the money they rarely do no wrong sir. The centre takes an etenity to run in, I've just tuned the GRC into some good too, costs about £100, let more know if you would like a listen, the GR 10's will respond in the same way too, there is quite a bit of potential in them. WM

wadia-miester, Aug 25, 2003
  11. Matt F

Rory satisfied

i must have a listen to a pair...

glad you like them Matt...

Rory, Aug 26, 2003
  12. Matt F

Minivan

Hi Wadia Miester,

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering what you meant by tuning in the GR Centre? Is it upgradable in some way? I have one which I'm in the process of breaking in.

Cheers,

Minivan

Minivan, Feb 14, 2008
  13. Matt F

Tenson Moderator

I think its mainly changing caps in the crossover for 'audiophile' brands.

Tenson, Feb 14, 2008
  14. Matt F

Minivan

So if I bi-wire then I don't need to do this?

Minivan, Feb 18, 2008
  15. Matt F

Tenson Moderator

Buy-wiring won't make any difference in that regard. My advice would be to just use the thing and be happy with it, its a good speaker :)

Tenson, Feb 18, 2008
Ask a Question