Monitor Audio GR20

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by andyoz, Mar 23, 2006.

1. andyoz

andyoz

Now I have the Squeezebox up and running, I am now considering a slight "backward" step with regards speakers.

I have come to the conclusion that my ATC SCM35's real forte is classical/jazz. Their rather "dark" and accurate sound just isn't pushing the right buttons with pop/rock'n'roll for me (shame as it's about 90% of my collection). Also, our 1 year old has just got mobile so I fear for the long term health of my ATC's and want to use something cheaper.

I am looking for something a bit more lively that won't show up every crappy production techinque (i.e. compression/effects) on pop/rock'n'roll recordings - a thing the ATC's do VERY well.

I hear that Monitor Audio are fairly lively and Sevenoaks is selling off their GR series at half RRP. My 200W ATC SPA2 amp is staying so power is not an issue. Room is 13ft x 22ft and any replacement speakers need to have approx the same size as the SCM35's to satisfy the wife. Even old Tannoys might be nice.

Due to location, I can't demo gear. Any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2006
    andyoz, Mar 23, 2006
  2. andyoz

Tenson Moderator

Well if you like rock and pop PMC is a must demo.

Tenson, Mar 23, 2006
  3. andyoz

andyoz

Tenson,

Yes, I have considered the PMC OB1's. How would you describe their sound compared to the ATC's?

Having such a pricey speaker anywhere near a toddler still fills me with dread though.

andyoz, Mar 23, 2006
  4. andyoz

Tenson Moderator

To be honest I have not heard much of ATC so I wouldn't like to say. Most don't seem to have very deep bass though.

Tenson, Mar 23, 2006
  5. andyoz

andyoz

Re. Bass. I have come to the conclusion there is something funny going on with the ATC's (at least in my room). My initial perception was that the bass is quite extended and weighty. On further listening though, there appears to be something "missing" that really detracts from the rythym and groove that is so important with rock/pop recordings. Note that I also noticed this even before I started using the Squeezebox as a replacement for good CDP.

With jazz, the ATC's just sing though - shame because my wife is the jazz fan and she is happy listening to her Sony midi system and won't touch my gear at all.

Anyway, in addition to PMC's, who can suggest some speakers that ROCK'N'ROLL in a medium sized room?

andyoz, Mar 26, 2006
  6. andyoz

Tenson Moderator

Andy, I'm not trying to sell my own stuff here, but it sounds like you could have a room issue. If you have a large bass suckout then some recordings that don't hit this frequency will sound fine and others will have their beat lost in the bottomless pit of room suckout.

Have you tried re-positioning?

Tenson, Mar 26, 2006
  7. andyoz

andyoz

I know what you're saying Tenson.

I have experimented with positioning but my options are very limited due to room layout. One of the traits of the SCM35's is they don't seem to be that fussy regarding placement and how it affects the bottom end.

I have been able to substitute a fairly large pair of Dynaudio bookshelf speakers I have (ugly as sin BM15 monitors) into the system and the bottom end was much more "normal" with better pace and timing on rock/pop. The're just too ugly to be a permanent fixture.

I really have come to the conclusion that the bass presentation is an ATC trait, not necessarily an issue with the room.

andyoz, Mar 27, 2006
  8. andyoz

hifienthusiast

Hi Andy

I have a pair of SCM12 and if you remember I had ATC Active 10 and a very old pair of SCM20 in the past. In my present small listening area, the bass of the ATC SCM12 and Active 10 is not that deep, compared to the rear ported Dynaudio Audience 52 that I had at similar time. To be honest, I like the midrange of the Dynaudio better than the SCM12 and Active 10 and I did wonder why I sold the Dynaudio. The bass of the Dynaudio also goes deeper than the SCM12.

I am using a Tact SDAi2175 for the SCM12 now after one year ownership of a Sugden A21a. The Sugden is very nice in the midrange, but the bass is just a bit too ponderous without enough control, that's why I have moved on to the Tact. I also tried a couple of valve preamps with some monster power amps like a Meridian 557 and Bryston 4BST. The Meridian 557 sounds quite nice with the SCM12, but the Bryston is a very poor match.

I just got an over 20 year old Exposure 6,7,8 pre/power/power supply. The 50W Exposure 8 power amp really shines with the SCM12 when connected to an EAR834L pre amp. I have reported it in pinkfishmedia: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21199 .
    In fact, I like the sound of the Exposure 8 better than the Meridian and Bryston!

I am sure there are other speakers that will satisfy your needs. A good system is about synergy and matching, not just the strength of a particular component. Good luck to your audio journey.

Hon

hifienthusiast, Mar 27, 2006
  9. andyoz

andyoz

Thanks Hon,

I am coming to the conclusion that for rock'n'roll listeners, you really don't need to spend a fortune to get good sound but you really need to get the bottom end right or it's game over.

I have a crappy old mono 12" Fender keyboard amp that I sometimes run the Squeezebox thru for bbq's, etc. I have had just as much fun listening to my collection thru that as I have with the whole ATC set-up. Doesn't make any sense (maybe it's because the Fender only comes out at "Beer Time").

andyoz, Mar 27, 2006
  10. andyoz

hifienthusiast

Andy

After I bought the old Exposure amps last weekend, I tried the 8 power amp/ EAR 834L preamp with some 25 year old Jim Rogers JR149 and LS3/5a speakers. To be honest, I had a lot of fun from these old speakers which give a very vivid midrange and PRAT, although the bass is not as deep.

I remember a friend wasn't keen on old valve amps with the tiny LS3/5a speakers at the beginning. I played a CD mainly with female vocal using a pair of Leak TL12.1 KT66 triode connected amps, he was stunned with the emotion from these oldies.

The taste of hi fi is very personal, there is no abolute black and white.

Hon

hifienthusiast, Mar 27, 2006
  11. andyoz

Curt

Try and find a pair of Dynaudio 1.3 MkII's
    They do everything well
    fantastic speakers

Curt

Curt, Mar 27, 2006
  12. andyoz

andyoz

Curt,

I have always liked Dynaudios. Prefer floorstanders though so the 1.3mkII's are too small. Wonder which of their older Contour lineup would have the same approx dimensions as the SCM35. I need something no higher than about 900 - 950mm. They seem to come up reasonably cheap from what I have seen.

andyoz, Mar 27, 2006
  13. andyoz

Curt

Hi Andy
    Some 1.8's then

Curt

Curt, Mar 27, 2006
Ask a Question