Monitor Speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by cyclonebri1, Jan 7, 2006.

1. cyclonebri1

cyclonebri1

Hi,
    I'll place this here in a separate thread to the other on going Monitor versus other thing.

As follows;

Anyone on here use the HSM, (home studio monitor), produced by Wilmslow audio?

I've used these for quite a few years, and have found them superb on all the stuff I listen to

Just wondering if anyone had upgraded the tweeter section of these?

I bought mine around ten years ago, just before they changed the tweeter unit from a scanspeak D2010/8513 to the D2905/9500 they also made some changes to the crossover design. I phoned Terry at Wilmslow with a view to upgading the caps in the crossovers, but he convinced me that the tweeter change would give far greater improovement. The design of the two versions of the crossover were done by different engineers, but according to Terry, most of the changes cancel each other out, there is just an extra inductor in circuit in the newer type. indicating it may sound just a little brighter without.

Anyway I popped down and came away with a pair of the latter type tweeters and will convert the boxes, (bit of routing to do as they are a few mm bigger), tomorrow.
    So again I was wondering if anyone else used these and had done the same? and with what results?

Cheers,
    Bri.
    :beer: :guiness: :beer: :guiness: :banana: :banana: :zzzz:

cyclonebri1, Jan 7, 2006
  2. cyclonebri1

cyclonebri1

In addition

Following on from my above post, I have to say the mods worked, but big style. Am I well happy :band:
    See next post,
    Bri.

cyclonebri1, Jan 8, 2006
  3. cyclonebri1

zanash

yep those tweeters are very good indeed.

zanash, Jan 8, 2006
  4. cyclonebri1

Neil

If the crossover does not have Hovland musicaps it may well be worth changing. I had a Dynaudio Foccus kit from Wilmslow and upgraded the tweeters then the caps - the tweeter upgrade provided the greatest upgrade but the caps made a pretty noticable improvement also

Neil, Jan 8, 2006
Ask a Question