More awful pictures of Mana

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by The Devil, Jan 30, 2004.

1. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Tis the season of bad indoor photography. To mark this time of year, here are some of mine, kindly hosted for me by Paul (Ta). The colours are a bit odd, I don't have pink walls in real life. The wuffle-dust is all too real.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Flames to follow....

The Devil, Jan 30, 2004
  2. The Devil

penance Arrogant Cock

Is your left speaker doind an impression of that tower in Piza?

penance, Jan 30, 2004
  3. The Devil

cookiemonster

You'll have to sort that TV out, it looks extremely bewildered.

BTW, how do you regard the aesthetics of Mana? Do you actually like it? I think i'd be forced to throw some draylon curtains or something over those imposing stacks, but i suppose that would kill it?

Do they wobble?

I know its horizontal, but it reminds me of Domino ralley whenever i see these things. All you need is a rubber rocket on the top stack.

cookiemonster, Jan 30, 2004
  4. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

No, it's a wide-angle lens setting. Everything is (obsessionally) dead-level.

The speakers are about eight feet apart. They, or possibly I, don't photograph very well, but in reality they do have a certain charm.

I really like the aesthetics of Mana. It will sway back & forth if you push it, so I don't push it, but it is very stable. The swaying must be due to flexing of the wooden boards, I would guess.

Yes, I must do something about that (26") TV, it looks daft. It stands behind the rear plane of the speakers, and I don't think it interferes with the sound.

Was thinking about a projector & floor-standing screen. Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2004
    The Devil, Jan 30, 2004
  5. The Devil

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

26" inch!!!!

Shows how ones idea of scale can distorted, I had it down as a 16". The ATC's must be even bigger than I remember, or because when I've seen them before they were in a barn.

Cheers

timpy, Jan 30, 2004
  6. The Devil

Robbo

Jesus christ those things are monstrous!

James, how do you manage to dust under all of those layers of mana? By the look of it, it hasnt been done for a while:)

Robbo, Jan 30, 2004
  7. The Devil

penance Arrogant Cock

James

How much weight would you estimate is on the TT wall shelf, given that you have an oil rig on top of it ;)

I will need a shelf to take around 35Kg when my TT is finished

penance, Jan 30, 2004
  8. The Devil

adam

I was unaware Mana made a rack for TV':confused: Did you find the picture improved? and was the effect jaw dropping? Projector yes great idea.

adam, Jan 30, 2004
  9. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Hi yes, Mana can be a bit of a dust trap. I must get my housekeeper onto it straight away! Yes, the Active 100s are on the large-ish side.

Regarding weight on the shelf, I guess each level of Mana weighs about 3 kilos, and there are eight on top of the basic shelf, (making it a Phase 9 stack), plus the weight of the LP12, of course.

It's no problem so long as you fix it to the wall properly using long bolts. JW actually stood on top of his shelf before putting anything else on top of it.

The only thing which prevents me going higher, shelf-wise, is cueing. As it is, the Aro is level with my shoulder (I am 6'), and any higher would make cueing a bit awkward.

It's not a Mana TV stand, just black wood. They do exist though, and yes, they are said to improve the picture and sound quality.

The Devil, Jan 30, 2004
  10. The Devil

Robbo

I am sure your wife/GF would be delighted to read that:D

Well fancy that - 1000 posts!

Robbo, Jan 30, 2004
  11. The Devil

adam

I know,I was just being stupid.

adam, Jan 30, 2004
  12. The Devil

sideshowbob Trisha

From the second picture, it looks like it was snowing inside your living room. Scotland's a barbaric place, isn't it? Would have thought they'd have worked out that a roof's a good idea by now.

My baby ATCs are very jealous, btw.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jan 30, 2004
  13. The Devil

Paul Ranson

Sorry about that.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Jan 30, 2004
  14. The Devil

Jez Quigley

If he has a wife she must be different to every other wife I've ever heard of.

Jez Quigley, Jan 30, 2004
  15. The Devil

rodrat

I think that by the time I had managed to accumulate that much mana stuff, I would have to sell it again to fund the divorce settlement. Is this your alternative way of providing a pension plan?

Rod

rodrat, Jan 30, 2004
  16. The Devil

dat19 blind test terrorist

The Devil,

Maybe, just maybe, you wouldn't need all that Mana if your speakers were next to your turntable? You appear to have active speakers, so why not just use long interconnects and get the turntable as far away as possible. May as well move the CDS2 to stop it's subchassis ratting around :) Corner placement of the turntable isn't smart because it's not a null in any room mode.. (Try standing in one of the other corners when your speakers are pounding away :))

Next, have you thought about turning your 100's upside down? Tweeters have a tendancy to beam, so maybe you're just rolling off the HF by lifting the speaker up off-axis using all those levels of Mana..

dat19, Jan 30, 2004
  17. The Devil

titian

:eek: :eek: :eek: :yikes: :yikes: :duck: :eek:

titian, Jan 30, 2004
  18. The Devil

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Bub I know we all get attached to ouor HIFI, but your speakers do not have a 'certain charm' they just look really big and ugly.

Havn't they got grills or something?

garyi, Jan 30, 2004
  19. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

The HF doesn't sound particularly rolled off, I think this effect may be a little exaggerated, but I don't know: I sit/lie about 12-14 feet away from them. I can't hear any difference when I stand up instead, but I do have some extreme HF hearing loss.

The TT sounds quite good, it had to go in the corner, unfortunately, but at least it's behind the plane of the speaker front baffles.

I'm lucky enough to have a fantastic live-in housekeeper at the moment, she's called Slavka, comes from Slovakia, and she's a separate entity from my girlfriend. The rest of the flat is gleaming, but I can't decide whether I should let her near the Mana or not.

Hi Ian, yes Scotland is pretty barbaric, but I think it might be dust inside my scanner. I'll get Slavka onto that, too!

Hi Gary, you really need to see & hear them to know what I mean. If you ever find yourself up this way, do pop in.

The Devil, Jan 30, 2004
  20. The Devil

lordsummit moderate mod

Showed the significant other she said:yikes:

lordsummit, Jan 30, 2004
Ask a Question