More Bass....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by julian2002, Oct 1, 2004.

1. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

not heard the 150's so couldn't comment on their punchability ;) also 5 would be a tad too overpowering in my humble living room i fear. the other thing is that i'm not a huge fan of the atc mid driver - in every application i've heard it in it's produced very bright upper mids which actually cause me pain! so atc's aren't on the cards - even if they could do bass :D
    merlins current toys would break my bank so badly it's untrue so not a true representation of what's possible i think.
    current front running is a pair of the xls 200's from bk electronics but it's over budget so i'm going to have to think long and hard about it.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 1, 2004
  2. julian2002

technobear Ursine Audiophile

technobear, Oct 1, 2004
  3. julian2002

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

You see Ju, all this stems from spending far too much time listening to music and not analylising the sound, shame on you my boy!! :D

wadia-miester, Oct 1, 2004
  4. julian2002

Of course if you got rid of the B&Ws, you would probably rake in enough to buy a pair of Castle Conway 3s. They would give you the punch you are looking for.

technobear, Oct 1, 2004
  5. julian2002

PeteH Natural Blue

Not much like ProAc D100s I suspect.

Dammit, wish I had £15000 for a pair of D100s. :(

PeteH, Oct 1, 2004
  6. julian2002

Thing is Pete, you'd decent accomplaining gear to support them, as well as reinforced floors

7. julian2002

merlin

Julian,

Don't do it!

My advice would be to research something that will perform as you require, then save up. I've said it before but I'd budget somewhere between £1K and £2K. I'd get everything built rather than buying a finished product.

I'm currently playing with the Velodyne DD subwoofer, and whilst it can certainly do movies, and add bottom end to remind you of Friday evenings on basildon high street - I still reckon the big JBL's cane them for musicality and accuracy.

The Fricking Awesomes were rather expensive - but I'm convinced you can get more whallop for your buck. Mine however do have a level of information and effortlessness I have not heard from any other speaker anywhere.

We did play with the 15" Volt in the same cabinets and that was huge fun :D

merlin, Oct 1, 2004
  8. julian2002

I've told you before Merlin, leave you private life at Home :mad: ;)

9. julian2002

No, probably not but £15,000 is an insane amount of money to spend on a pair of speakers. There must be plenty of speakers under £5k that would do the job when coupled with a suitable subwoofer.

technobear, Oct 1, 2004
  10. julian2002

merlin,
    to be honest the jbl's were just too much for me. they did an amazing job of moving the air but it just seemed overpowering. the d100 had that visceral feeling of a low note that you get at a live performance without feeling like there was a thunder storm in the air.
    i've had a look around and to be honest there aren't many speakers that do '20hz-20khz' they are more interested in extending the top end to 100khz and beyond these days than covering the audio spectrum properly.
    also i really like what the b&w's do. they just sound 'right' to me, whether that's because i'm used to them or what i don't know but i'd prefer to augment their bottom end than trade them in for something that kicks but sounds naff (to me) in the mid and treble.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 1, 2004
  11. julian2002

merlin

Trust me on this Chris - if you hear the D100's you will realise there isn't :(

For me, and IMHO of course, it's all about the dynamic capabilities of the upper bass and lower midrange - something no commercial subwoofer will do anything about.

It is very rare that a single product kind of moves the reference points of the majority of people who hear it, but that seems to have happened with the D100. And I was barely able to get them ticking over - you should hear them in a big room with 400wpc of French valve magic:D

I want to bottom end of the D100 or JBL coupled to the midrange of the ELS57 in an ultra efficient package with high powr handling. The quest begins :D

merlin, Oct 1, 2004
  12. julian2002

merlin

fair comment Julian, the JBL's are certainly on the warm side, and lack punch, quite the opposite of the Volts.

An idea would be to get four of the Volt 2225's, and electronic crossover, and a couple of the BK amp modules. I reckon you are still talking £2K with build and everything, but your neighbours would like your music even more ;)

merlin, Oct 1, 2004
  13. julian2002

merlin,
    as ever with you if something is worth doing it's worth overdoing ;). i want the bass to be in front of me not in next doors bathroom.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 1, 2004
  14. julian2002

merlin

Julian,

that's more to do with the size and construction of your room. Still, just think of the fun you can have whilst skinning that chicken :D

merlin, Oct 1, 2004
  15. julian2002

Here Merlin!!! :mad: You've been warned already tonite, leave the bedroom antics at home :D 3 strikes and your out :eek: ;)

16. julian2002

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

'skinning the chicken'

never heard it called that before.
    :D

bottleneck, Oct 1, 2004
  17. julian2002

merlin

You guys need to get out more :D

Chris,

How are the horns coming on? It seems we might be in a race here :D

merlin, Oct 1, 2004
  18. julian2002

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

my horns? aah they are being built by people who know what they are doing, which entirely puts me out of the equation!

I just had a few design parameters I chucked into the mix.. I wanted external crossovers and certain veneers.. most other options/choices/designs have gone to the more knowledgable to decide.

What have you decided to go for Mike? Are you getting something built up too?

NB Mine are going to be about oooh god knows, Im earmarking about 4 more weeks.

bottleneck, Oct 1, 2004
  19. julian2002

Chris,

What drive units are you having?
    I listened to a set of custom one off impulse horns last week, quite nice too!

20. julian2002

:confused:
    other than the obvious crude interpretation which other more squalid members have already commented on, i've no idea wtf you're on about here.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 1, 2004
Ask a Question