More eBay dodginess

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by SimonConnell, Dec 29, 2003.

1. SimonConnell

SimonConnell

This one is really, relly suspect, but it made me laugh so I'll post my experiences here for everyone else's amusement as well.

About 3 days ago, a pair of Melos valve power amps appeared on eBay. The photos were of one amp, and a Melos pre-amp perched on top.
    I'd been looking for a Melos pre for quite some time, so I e-mail the seller:

To which I get back:

Response, by now thinking this guy is a bit dodgy:

I get back, after some delay:

Hmmm. If he's in the UK as claiming (and as stated in his e-mail address), then why would it be £80 for postage? Cue another e-mail:

Followed by another e-mail two minutes later, having gone to eBay to check on the power amps and discovered the auction has gone and he's had his account suspended:

Two responses in rapid succession, at which point it's clear he's losing the plot big time!

Well, that's honesty for you, though poor English. As I'm reading it, this turns up:

Amazing, simply amazing. He's had himself an island made, and it's so new he's not even decided what to call it yet. Better than that, I even looked him up in a 2004 Atlas and he's not in there yet. My, this chap must have some clout. But wait a minute Batman, that make and model number have nothing to do with the Melos I originally asked about, which is quite something considering the title of the e-mail contains the word Melos.

Just goes to show, buyer beware, there are some seriously shady people on eBay, this one just happens to be seriously thick.
    Now, do I continue with the charade, playing the innocent to his ignorant and asking silly questions, or do I just give up on him? Part of me is pissed off - I really wanted a nice Melos :mad:
    Simon

SimonConnell, Dec 29, 2003
  2. SimonConnell

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

The langauge he used sounds very similar to ones used in the Nigerian scams. Clealry english is not his first langauge.

amazingtrade, Dec 29, 2003
  3. SimonConnell

Hawk

Seriously scarey!

I bid (unsucessfully) on a DAC64 a while ago but shortly after the auction received 5 separate emails from shades in spain trying to sell me one for 1000 euros!?

I cant believe anyone would part with cash to one of these guys though.. would they????

Hawk, Dec 29, 2003
  4. SimonConnell

bigviv

i'm guessing that i've been pretty lucky through ebay, it's a shame that some people ruin it for others!!

after reading about all the ebay scams and all, i've decided to just give it a miss completely, can't be dealing with the hassle

i say carry on playing the fool and let us know how long you can keep it up!

bigviv, Dec 30, 2003
  5. SimonConnell

michaelab desafinado

There are a lot of dodgy characters on eBay but if you use a little common sense they can easily be avoided. I still think eBay is a great place for buying and selling.

I got my DAC64 from there for a great price :) Wasn't the same one you were bidding on was it Hawk? :devil:

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 30, 2003
  6. SimonConnell

Lt Cdr Data om

I have just sold the a1000 on ebay for a good price, I got 4 or 5 emails from Italy....either they are a legend there, and people are wanting them bad, or some bidding pact??

Lt Cdr Data, Dec 30, 2003
  7. SimonConnell

Reading through the users feedback and checking what they have bought and sold is a great way to see how genuine the buyer may be.

Also the decription gives it away for example if I was selling my 6010OSE amp I would just put:

Marantz 6010OSE amplifer, 50w per channel, gold finsih.

I would probably write about two paragraphs explaining every detail about it including its history.

I have sold Intel 386's pcs for £300 in 1997 using this method:D

amazingtrade, Dec 30, 2003
  8. SimonConnell

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Digital cameras are where there are a lot of seriously dodgy auctions, especially for top end bodies like the EOS 1DS.

However, there is now a legit source of canon refurbished gear on ebay, and many people thought that they were just another scam outfit. However, some lucky people got EOS 1DS bodies for £3200 (rrp £7999). Grrrr... :tempted: (Why haven't we got an envious smily?)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2003
    I-S, Dec 30, 2003
  9. SimonConnell

michaelab desafinado

Isaac, if you find an envious smiley I'll put it up for you :)

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 30, 2003
  10. SimonConnell

adam

I wouldn't buy from anyone who was not 100% fluent in English,and 100% fluent in spanish,I don't mind selling to a foriegner,but I wouldn't buy.

Had dodgy emails from Madrid, Spain to,easy that one,just reply in Spanish,nothing heard again.

Mind you, I won a old shure V15 typelll cartridge of Ebay and it arrived without the screws:confused: ,and the guy hasn't got them,great,so emailed shure europe to see if they are still avaliable,but if anyones got any knocking around?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2003
    adam, Dec 30, 2003
  11. SimonConnell

Hawk

Quite possibly! i think the seller was some guy called shakeyjakey?? he was a nice guy and i ended up buying some stax from him..

I have to say generally ive done ok with both buying and selling on ebay and have had more good experiences than bad.. I hoped that doesnt curse my current sale though!!!

Hawk, Dec 30, 2003
  12. SimonConnell

michaelab desafinado

That was the one - sorry old chap, better luck next time :JPS: He had previously sold some cables to a mate of mine and I exchanged a few e-mails with him so I knew he was kosher. I wired £1470 to his bank account and waited for the DAC64 to arrive via courier...it did :)

I think it's usually pretty easy to spot the scammers. They aren't terribly clever and IMO only a total mug would fall for their tricks.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 30, 2003
  13. SimonConnell

Hex Spurt

:ffrc: :ffrc: Nor yours, mate! ;)

Hex Spurt, Dec 30, 2003
  14. SimonConnell

Clearly it was a typo:)

amazingtrade, Dec 31, 2003
  15. SimonConnell

Dev Moderator

Is it possible to have a spellchecker on these forums?, I know I've had to edit some of my posts to correct typos. More interestingly how will a spellchecker handle WM's posts??? it'll be in constant overdrive :D

Dev, Dec 31, 2003
  16. SimonConnell

Hawk

17. SimonConnell

SimonConnell

Thanks for that, I've alerted eBay.
    Simon

SimonConnell, Jan 4, 2004
  18. SimonConnell

Lt Cdr Data om

WMs spelling is correct....its us that cannot read properly...eh????????

Lt Cdr Data, Jan 5, 2004
  19. SimonConnell

Hawk

Ebay is getting worse! I bid on a Chord 1200C thats on ebay and i received this email...... The auction isnt even over yet!? what do you think i should do??

Subject: Question for seller -- Item #3069905733
    Date: 6 January 2004 19:17:44 GMT
    To:

Dear customer,
    We saw you'r bid for the Chord SPM 1200c Power Amp and we would like to make you an offer.
    We could offer you the same unit to buy now without the auction.
    We will use UPS for shipping and Moneyorder service for payment.
    Our company offer you shippment inssured - INTERNATIONALY/INSIDE COUNTRY shipped.
    Shipping will take usually - 24/48 hours Shipping is made
    using UNITED POSTAL/PARCEL SERVICE(UPS) SERVICE.
    Shipping is absolutely FREE! Yes, that's right.
    SHIPPING IS FREE! Not only is shipping FREE but
    you will also receive 100% protection from loss or damage with our
    "On the House" FULL INSURANCE coverage.
    Your shipment will be professionally secured with
    heavy-duty packaging designed to protect the contents of your shipment cross country.
    Buy from us and your transaction will be 100% HEADACHE FREE!
    And if any problems do arise, we'll take care of all the paperwork
    and ship you replacement parts within a few days.
    No other Company can offer you that kind of SECURITY and PEACE OF MIND.
    Did your entire package get lost?
    We'll replace your entire machine for you for FREE! .
    Our customer service professionals are ready to help you every step of the way .
    We strive for QUALITY NOT QUANTITY. Here you will receive the individualized care you deserve
    If you are interested please advice us how many units
    you want to buy and send us the shipping details so we could make
    you an offer to my email address:[email protected] We are looking forward to hear from you.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Hawk, Jan 6, 2004
  20. SimonConnell

penance Arrogant Cock

um
    ignore it!

penance, Jan 6, 2004
Ask a Question