More modern turntables?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Joolsburger, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

Bearing in mind the virtual impossiblity of a home dem I thought I'd post a query here.

I have a 1989 Xerxes in mint condidtion with an XPS2 power supply, Artemiz arm and DV17d2.

My deck is in perfect working order, has had a factory rebuild in the last two years and the arm had new bearings ages ago due to the previous owners hamfistedness.

I am very happy with my system however it seems that upgrading a 16 year old TT might be a good place to spend the few pounds I have put aside over the last few months. I am not totally convinced that this is wise. 16 years ago were bearings really any better, my class a power supply works well and speed is constant and accurate, my TT is mounted on a good wall shelf and so isolation is not a problem.

Would I be upgrading for upgrading's sake or could I expect a night and day difference between my old TT and something like an Orbe or a Scheu?

HAs TT technology really made this move inevitable for me bearing in mind the amount of happy people running even older decks than mine?

Joolsburger, Sep 15, 2005
  2. Joolsburger

lordsummit moderate mod

Me I'd buy some tunes! I bet your TT sounds fabulous. I personally don't think things have moved on that much. I bet others do though

lordsummit, Sep 15, 2005
  3. Joolsburger

Markus S Trade

Orbe and Scheu would be a sidegrade, basically. Also, you may not like the sound of acrylic platters after using a Xerxes for so long. If you absolutely need to get rid of some money, save a while longer for a used TMS2.

Markus S, Sep 15, 2005
  4. Joolsburger

kennyk thecrossovernetwork.com

I suppose there's no harm in having a listen to others, if you have the chance. it depends on whether you think the Xerxes is missing something. the Orbe, may or may not be to your taste. have a listen and rule it in or out. I'd agree that it's a side step, at least on paper. however, your ears may disagree.

However if I was in your position, I'd be looking long and hard at upgrading the Xerxes to either X or a Xerxes.20.

kennyk, Sep 15, 2005
  5. Joolsburger

Dick Bowman

Possibly there's a case for trying a technology change rather than a "more of the same" upgrade. I don't recall the precise configuration of the Roksan (small motor, belt drive, what suspension?) but my (limited) experience is that there tends to be a generic sameness to similarly-engineered turntables.

I'm not much of a fan of Roy Gregory but he observed some time ago that there seemed to be a shift from the belt/springs approach originated by AR/Thorens toward a more solid build - that the sonic differences were of style rather than degree.

When HiFi World explored the Japanese heavyweight direct drives it reminded me that I had a Sony TTS8000 "stored" under the stairs - been there some time. So I got it out and did a quick lashup. Compared to my recent-spec Gyro it was quite a revelation - not sure why it got retired in the first place (I suspect I was having a follow-the-herd moment).

So - my take is that new might not be better, but different will certainly be different.

And if you can't get a home dem, then try to find a good shop dem.

Dick Bowman, Sep 15, 2005
  6. Joolsburger

narabdela

Buy more records - chill.

narabdela, Sep 15, 2005
  7. Joolsburger

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Dick - is the Gyro now for sale??? :) Enquiring minds wanna know...

domfjbrown, Sep 16, 2005
  8. Joolsburger

Dexter

I've never seen a listing for a used TMS2, Markus, have you? :D

Dexter, Sep 16, 2005
  9. Joolsburger

Dick Bowman

The Gyro will possibly be for sale in a few weeks/months. The determining factor being whether the Sony still sounds good when I mount it into something aesthetically acceptable rather than an MDF plank on a couple of bricks. In the past I've found some of my quick lashups worked better than the serious efforts, so I must wait and see (and allow plenty of time for paint/varnish to dry properly).

Dick Bowman, Sep 16, 2005
  10. Joolsburger

Alex S User

Another vote for more music.

Alex S, Sep 16, 2005
  11. Joolsburger

spxy

Mate, the XPSV DS1.5 is a massive upgrade over the XPS2 power supply, you won't know what your xerxes is capable of until you try it.

spxy, Sep 16, 2005
  12. Joolsburger

Stereo Mic

Yep , more music

Stereo Mic, Sep 16, 2005
  13. Joolsburger

Mr.C

Build your LP collection.

Mr.C, Sep 16, 2005
  14. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

I've heard that about the P/S but I have never seen power supplies s/h and new ones are a tad pricey... aren't they?

I had a look at the Henley site and looks like Power supp/speed control is about £700 so any suggestions?

Frankly I'm really thinking about spending the lot in Soul Brother records! But it will niggle at me that my deck's half cocked! Bloody Annoying is Hifi.

Joolsburger, Sep 16, 2005
  15. Joolsburger

Malky

I had a Xerxes years ago it was superb with the Rega RB III tonearm. Then I upgraded to an Ittok. Big mistake 2 fabulous items that were just not meant for each other. So I had to decide which to get rid of, I jumped into the Linn camp and retained the ittok and got the LP 12 problem solved, could have gone to the Artimiz or back to the Rega or the Mission Mechanic was the thing then for the Roksan. All these options would have been desirable over the Ittok Roksan combo. Anyway I lived with the Linn up to 2 years ago a total of 16 years and changed to Orbe SME V and was amazed at the difference. The bottom end on the Linn was dull and generally the whole sound was less lively and detailed, however the Linn did Piano a little better with more timbre. All I can say is get a dem, if you are near Warrington Doug Brady is good. If you are near Manchester you can come and listen mine sometime. Let your ears decide its as simple as that if it doesnt sound better to you then it isnt. Its also how much better for the money. My rule of thumb is,if I have to keep swithing from one to the other, then the differences are too close so I dont bother. It has to be immediate night and day to part with subststial cash. :redrum:

Malky, Sep 17, 2005
  16. Joolsburger

spxy

Two DS1.5's have come and gone on e-bay in the last few weeks, one for only £145! To confuse things the ATT-DS5 is the same as a DS1.5 plus theres a DA5 and the DSU.
    Midland audio exchange often have second hand Roksan stuff, maybe Roksan have some old XPS5's and XPS3.5's that have been traded in for newer caspian boxed versions.

spxy, Sep 17, 2005
  17. Joolsburger

betty swallocks betty swallocks

i would say buy a rock or pink triangle deck

betty swallocks, Sep 18, 2005
  18. Joolsburger

Paul V

Hello Joolsburger

I have a Xerxes/Artimez too and am much happier with the sound through my new system than my old one. Just goes to show how much other components can affect the sound of the Xerxes !!. I have a XPS3.5 speed control and a DSU power box thingy. The last time I looked into it you could upgrade the power supply for about £500. They take the DSU, put it inside a caspian-sized box with a new power supply and and bob's your uncle. I've flicked thru the Roksan forum a few times and the power supply sounds like the thing to upgrade first rather than bearings, supports etc. You seem to get more bang for your buck.

Have you tried the new mat yet ??.

Paul

Paul V, Sep 19, 2005
  19. Joolsburger

Joolsburger

Yeah I have got the new mat and I'm annoyed to say it works!! Well when I say works the sound certainly changes, for the best is up to you to decide but I think it's cleaner and ultimately a better sound.

500 seems steep for power supplies I may just hold tight for the XPS 7 I've read so much about, maybe it will be better than the XPS2.

Joolsburger, Sep 19, 2005
  20. Joolsburger

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Let us know what you decide - since I've started saving money for the first time in ages...

That sounds pretty aesthetically pleasing to me - you could always spraypaint the bricks black :)

domfjbrown, Sep 19, 2005
Ask a Question