More signs of tweakness

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by My name is Ron, Nov 25, 2004.

1. My name is Ron

My name is Ron It is, it really is

I've got a little bit of cash to throw at the hifi, or more specifically the analogue part of it (SystemdekIIX/RB250/Denon DL110).

Basically, I shall either do the Incognito rewire on the Rega arm or buy a phono stage (Gram Amp 2 seems the sensible option). My preference is to go with the rewire, since I feel that's where I stand to gain most.

But having now read the Hifi Plush review of the Incognito, I'm troubled by the report that the Incognito can highlight the treble and add a bit of grain to proceedings. Smoother highs and better extension, I can live with. Merely brighter I can't.

So I need the experiences of those among you have done rewire: how does the sound change, and particularly the treble?

Also, the phono stage on my Rotel RA02 integrated strikes me as being rather good, better I would say than that in my old Cyrus One, which was supposed to do the phono thing well, so would the Gram Amp 2 offer a significant improvement? Am I right in prefering the rewire or am I underestimating the power of phono preamp?

Your considered opinons, please.

My name is Ron, Nov 25, 2004
  2. My name is Ron

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

perhaps you should look into a copper re wire instead of silver?

rob, Nov 25, 2004
  3. My name is Ron

Mr.C

Agree with rob, silver is probably the culprit. In all my experience of listening to cables (quite a bit) silver always exhibited harsh/forward treble. Avoid it, especially with tonearm wiring.

Mr.C, Nov 25, 2004
  4. My name is Ron

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

isent silver tone arm cable more prone to resonate than copper?
    or something like that.

rob, Nov 25, 2004
  5. My name is Ron

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Surely though, thats only silver plated copper that does this? My mate has pure silver cable and I'd say it was quite polite even compared to pure copper.

PBirkett, Nov 25, 2004
  6. My name is Ron

soundzandpower BBQ?

I would definately recomend the incognito rewire. I did my RB300 a few years ago and i would describe the change as improving the smoothness of the sound considerably. No false brightness that i could detect. The standard wire sounded very edgy and the incognito removed this.

I also added a Heavyweight counterweight shortly afterwards and that seemed to improve the sound in terms of its structure ie transparency, soundstage and depth. The incognito on the other hand improved tonality and smoothness.

The incognito rewire is copper by the way.

soundzandpower, Nov 26, 2004
  7. My name is Ron

Mr.C

Absolutely, silver plated copper is a bit naff in my view (see Nordost :D ), but I've owned some pure silver cables myself and simply find their treble to be artificial to varying degrees. Horses for courses though, if it's what you like, go with it.

Mr.C, Nov 26, 2004
  8. My name is Ron

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i just tried some silver jumpers on my speakers (feeding the mid / treble) and i've gone back to copper - to 'bright' for me. psychosomatic maybe but real enough to me.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Nov 26, 2004
  9. My name is Ron

merlin

I'd have thought spending the money on a good used phono stage would be a far wiser investment long term. IME, the difference between virtually all built in stages and their off board counterparts is not subtle.

merlin, Nov 26, 2004
  10. My name is Ron

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I dont :D Thats why I also use exclusively copper cable when possible :)

PBirkett, Nov 26, 2004
  11. My name is Ron

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

dosent silver have a really long burn in period as well?
    and a tendancy to sound a bit bright and coarse during this period?

rob, Nov 26, 2004
  12. My name is Ron

shrink

i had some silver plated copper chord cables (rumour 4)

and they sounded bloody awfull at first... burn in took almost 3 months... but after this they remained open and crisp.. with good bass.. but never harsh... definately not a cable to pick if your system is already quite bright though.

I'll be looking at getting more of the stuff soon for my new speakers

shrink, Nov 27, 2004
Ask a Question