More song indentifying help please...

Discussion in 'General Music' started by michaelab, Jan 30, 2004.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I haven't got much to go on I'm afraid. It's by a black South African and it's about a train taking people from the townships to work in the cities for rich whites. It features several onomatapoeic lyrics that immitate the sounds of said steam train.

The name of the singer is something like "Makulele" but I know I haven't got it quite right.

I guess the style of music it's closest to is probably blues.

I've only ever heard it on vinyl, once at Heathrow (can't remember the room) and once recently at a dealer here in Lisbon and both times it sounded superb. I'd like to get it not only because I really liked the music but because I have a clear memory of how it sounded on vinyl and I want to compare it to the CD (assuming it exists on CD) :)

I think it's a "demo" favourite so hopefully someone will know what I'm on about....

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 30, 2004
  2. michaelab

cookiemonster

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2004
    cookiemonster, Jan 30, 2004
  3. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

That's the one! Thanks Dino. Don't know which track it was (it's not one of the ones you can hear a clip of on Amazon) but I recognize the album cover.

Into the shopping basket it goes :)

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 30, 2004
  4. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

FYI the song I was referring to is called "Stimela (The Coal Train)" and is from that album "Hope" by Hugh Masekela :)

Sounding good on my iPod right now, will have to wait a couple of weeks before I can try out on my proper hifi back home :)

Michael.

michaelab, Feb 2, 2004
  5. michaelab

GrahamN

I may actually have played it when you were round at mine! (I certainly did once when Lee was over). It must be one of the first jazz/world disks I ever bought (and he signed it for me too...or was that just George Melly?). I think Coal Train is the best track on the disk, although there are a couple of other pretty good ones too.

GrahamN, Feb 2, 2004
  6. michaelab

MartinC Trainee tea boy

MartinC, Feb 3, 2004
  7. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Could well have been. I knew I'd heard it twice and I knew about the dealer demo here in Lisbon but couldn't quite place the other time so I guessed it must have been the Heathrow show but more likely it was at your place...in which case it wasn't on vinyl either :)

Also, a correction on the song's topic. It isn't, as I stated, about workers on a train going to work in the cities...they're actually going to work in coal and gold mines for, as the song says, "almost no pay" :(

Michael.

michaelab, Feb 3, 2004
Ask a Question