Most Loved Vintage Hi-fi ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nando, Feb 4, 2012.

1. nando

nando nando

i am sure that most of you had / or have a particular hi-fi that will always be part of the past days that will always remember you as being that you were in your height's of total bliss, or maybe not, as for me i always remember a rotel amp in the early 70's with vu meters, forgot the model number, wooden case and made in japan,that amp was the best buy i had the pleasure to enjoy while in school, just thought out of curiosity if any one has a particular item that you remember most

nando, Feb 4, 2012
  2. nando

topoxforddoc

My Garrott Brothers Decca Gold 1981 - still have it with the original handwritten receipt and paperwork.

topoxforddoc, Feb 4, 2012
  3. nando

RobHolt Moderator

So many things but I'm especially fond of two.

Heybrook HB2s which were my first real loudspeakers as a teenager. They were so much better than most of the stuff I'd heard that the experience remains memorable to this day. I even bought another pair a few years ago for old time sake.

Linn LP12. Bought mostly with cash from my family for my 21st birthday. Finally I had a Linn!
    Not only that but it had a rosewood plinth and black Ittok.

RobHolt, Feb 5, 2012
  4. nando

nando nando

my t/t dream and saved hard for, apart from the goldring lenco wicth i had was a technics sl-150 mk2 with a sme 3009 d.h. v15 mk3

nando, Feb 5, 2012
  5. nando

speedy.steve

NAD3020 - First decent amp I bought. New in 1980. Took train to Southampton to hifi shop that stocked it and walked it home 3miles on the rack of my push bike - gently over every bump. Cost £86.
    It still plays daily in my workshop system into early Misson 700's of the same era, cost £120 :)

speedy.steve, Feb 6, 2012
  6. nando

Petergc

An Audio Innovations 500 Integrated amp. My first foray into valves, and just a really inviting sound

Petergc, Feb 6, 2012
  7. nando

rsand I can't feel my toes

Fond memories of sat on my own listening to my Quad esl 958's powered by II40's. I would probably still be a bachelor if I still had them :)

rsand, Feb 6, 2012
  8. nando

Monstrous

I think I'm far too young for this thread!

Although I did have a Sony TAFB-940R about 6 years ago (I was 14!) which was an amazing amp and it was superior in every way (I reckon) to the Audiolab 8000A which replaced it!

My dad used to have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-801's which I used for years whilst growing up. I still wish I could find them again, or find a pair to buy. Never heard a headphone with such amazing bass power and clarity. Even the current £1k-regio Grado and Senn's don't come close in the bass to what they did!

Monstrous, Feb 23, 2012
  9. nando

nando nando

i allways loved beyerdynamic and koss, now i use sennheiser's hd 600, love them,

nando, Feb 23, 2012
  10. nando

Monstrous

I've tried the 650's and the 600's very recently for the 4th or so time. I want to bring myself to love them, but I just can't. Not enough oomph behind them for me.

Monstrous, Feb 23, 2012
  11. nando

Jimbo

Tannoy Monitor Gold drivers i bought in the early 70's. Had other speakers in between. Now back with them after 25 years and love them. To think i nearly binned them to save space :yikes:

Jimbo, Feb 24, 2012
  12. nando

nando nando

binned them? that would have been a catastropheeeee

nando, Feb 24, 2012
  13. nando

RobHolt Moderator

I wonder how much good kit has been binned over the years only to be replaced the latest and greatest new things, which were in many cases inferior.

RobHolt, Feb 26, 2012
Ask a Question