Motorola V600 Mobile Phone?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 7_V, Oct 11, 2004.

1. 7_V

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Guys, I'm trading in my trusty old Nokia 3510 and I'm on the Orange network.

I'm considering the Moto V600 with Bluetooth headset. I've checked the user reviews on the Internet and they go from 'best phone ever' to utter crap - no use whatsoever.

What do you reckon?

7_V, Oct 11, 2004
  2. 7_V

michaelab desafinado

If you're used to Nokia phones then you're in for a shock with Motorolas. Most unusable user-interface I've used isn't even getting close :mad: . The newer ones may be better though. Personally I'd always stick with Nokia or Ericsson.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 11, 2004
  3. 7_V

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i've recently changed from an ericson p800 which went kaput from being in my pocket whilst jogging to a nokia 5140 which does almost everything the p800 did (just not quite as well) but is shock and splash / sweat proof, has a radio, compass, torch, and can have gps added :D . no bluetooth though - but i've lived without it for 10 years now so i don;t really miss it.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 11, 2004
  4. 7_V

analoguekid Planet Rush

Steve I agree with Michael, Motorola have seriously poor menus, it's the reason i've stuck with nokia's best most easy to use interface. You have been warned.

analoguekid, Oct 11, 2004
  5. 7_V

sony / ericsson are different to nokias but in no way worse - it took me about a day to switch from using a nokia menu on my old 8810 to using an s/e t68.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 11, 2004
  6. 7_V

Rory satisfied

i'm using a Motorola V525. Really really nice phone actually and the best predictive txt i've ever encountered. have a bluetooth usb adaptor on my pc so can swop pics/midi files between the two :)

i had a Panasonic GD67 before that and the OS is totally different, but like all these things, u get used to it :)

Rory, Oct 11, 2004
  7. 7_V

Will The Lucky One

I'm a convert to Sony Ericsson myself, having previously stuck with Nokia I've had a T610 and now (just this week, because I couldn't get signal on orange where I am now and fancied an upgrade ;)) a K700i. Best user interfaces I've used on a phone, if a little sluggish.

Will, Oct 11, 2004
  8. 7_V

analoguekid Planet Rush

Nowt wrong with sony ericson, but have always thought Motorola menus to be convoluted.

analoguekid, Oct 11, 2004
  9. 7_V

Should I care about the convoluted menus? It sure looks good. :)

7_V, Oct 11, 2004
  10. 7_V

analoguekid Planet Rush

depends how often you use them Steve, I don't think it's a reason not to buy one, just something to be aware of, it matters more to some than others. Happy choosing.

analoguekid, Oct 12, 2004
  11. 7_V

Thanks. I was sort of joking around your signature.

It's difficult choosing the phone because opinions are so polarized. The truth is that I don't want the camera, video, Internet, blah-blahs, etc. I just want a phone, occasional text messages and, every now and again, an alarm clock. Oh, and the Blue Tooth headset for using it in the car is going to be very useful. The reported difficulties with the address book worry me a little but maybe it's just a system to get used to.

Anyway, it's not the most important thing in the world.

Thanks for your help, guys.

7_V, Oct 12, 2004
  12. 7_V

analoguekid Planet Rush

Sorry Steve just being a bit overcautius, feel I've pissed enough members a bit this last coupla weeks, don't want people to think I'm sensitive and narrow minded.

What about a Nokia 6310i has all the features you want and none that you don't, it's the one I use, it's from work so no choice, I have proper hard wired hands free and it's great, others who have newer fleet cars have the bluetooth car kit fitted, and they reckon it's pants, drops out, and you need a seperate charger for it, not sure what bluetooth is like for headsets though. Also if you are gonna use phone in car are the clamshell phones not more difficult to use. Mind you the 6310 is a fugly ucker, is the Nokia 6600 still available, think it mighta had BT and no superfluous extras for budding David Baileys.

13. 7_V

merlin

Steve,

as has been said before, if you are used to the Nokia user interface and not overly techy I wouls not recommend Motorola. Despite what many say, the Motorola interface must be really easy to understand given it's popularity in the States. But the switch is a painful one for most.

Sadly you are likely to end up with a camera and all the other shite that the networks are foisting on us in an attempt to increase revenue. I you want a flip design, Samsung phones are relatively simple to use.

merlin, Oct 12, 2004
  14. 7_V

don't nokia do a couple of flip phones nowadays. i think there is even one WITHOUT a camera too.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 12, 2004
  15. 7_V

Actually I don't have unlimited choice. I'm with the Orange network because I get 60 minutes call-time included and then I call a free access number and get all my calls charged at One Tel's domestic rates (even overseas calls). If I stay with Orange, I'm stuck with Orange's options.

If I want BlueTooth (so I can use hands-free, easily, in two separate cars without the expense of two car kits) I could choose the following:

Nokia 6600, 6230
    Panasonic X70
    Sony Ericsson K700i, T610, P900
    Motorola V600, MPx200, V500
    SPV E200

Of course, some of them would cost me more than others.

As I said, I need a phone (with phone numbers), occasional texts, occasional alarm clock, ability to use hands-free in more than one car.

Also, how come the damn things are getting bigger again? What's wrong with the movement towards smaller? Is it just because a phone now has to be a second rate camera, Internet machine, etc.? What a pain.

PS: I am reasonably techy, I just can't be bothered with it all. However, I was programming Fortran by punch cards at college and was programming the first time-sharing (interactive) computers before the dawn of micros.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2004
    7_V, Oct 12, 2004
  16. 7_V

analoguekid Planet Rush

I'd go with the Nokia 6600, used to use 6100 very similar and the size is perfect for slipping easily into pocket, also no useless options. Reckon some of the ericson phones are pretty good to.

17. 7_V

michaelab desafinado

The SonyEricsson K700i is a gorgeous phone too. It has a camera though. Nice and small and easy to use. If I didn't need the PDA features of my P800 I'd jump to get one. As it is, I'm waiting for P910i prices to become reasonable.

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 12, 2004
  18. 7_V

In the end, I went with the Motorola V600.

What was all the fuss about? It seems like a great little phone and the menu system seems quite straightforward. Huh?

The only difficulty I have is in downloading my photos to my PC. I've tried a bluetooth device and, now, a Kondor "mobile phone manager - via USB cable". I can't get either to install on my PC, probably because my O/S is Windows 98 (not SE). Any suggestions?

7_V, Oct 24, 2004
  19. 7_V

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I've seen some problems with the software/cable you're speaking of, however the customer was using it with Nokia handsets.

The problem lay in the cable, of which they seemed to have a bad batch. The customer was using XP so I cant comment on the operating system.

Kondor should be able to tell you operating system compatability and about any other known problems.

http://www.kondor.co.uk/

bottleneck, Oct 24, 2004
  20. 7_V

robert_cyrus

ref AK's sig:
    "we, like you, have tasted blood (love ?)
    dont be alarmed at what you see
    you yourself are just the same as what you see in me
    me ... like you ? ...... like that ?..... "
    or something like that

just bought a motorola v220 for my gf, which i dont suppose it that much different to the 660. no probs with the menu system. it's all pretty intuitive. (and i use a siemens.)

robert_cyrus, Oct 25, 2004
Ask a Question