Moving house, neighbours, etc

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by I-S, Nov 17, 2004.

1. I-S

stickman

Isaac,

you're in Lancashire. If you're looking at a terraced-house, then you should be able to find some with 60cm thick stone walls. It was one of my criteria when searching for a house as I'm not a fan of modern houses.

Home-made seismic sinks cut a lot of the vibrations thru' the floor.

10pm curfew is good. I always switch to ambient music at that time.

stickman, Nov 17, 2004
  2. I-S

Tom Alves

Only just. I reckon prices have risen by 70% around Perth in the last year. Mind you there are some affordable but very pleasant properties if you are looking for semis & terraced stuff.

Tom Alves, Nov 18, 2004
  3. I-S

Tom Alves

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2004
    Tom Alves, Nov 18, 2004
  4. I-S

rodrat

Way back , I lived in a flat above my dads shop. There was a flat next door above the next door shop. For about six months it was empty. I could play my bose 901's to ear splitting volumes and often did especially after a small snifter at the pub a few doors down. Apart from the 901's, I had a 12" black and white portable tv. A young women then moved into the flat next door. Out of curtesy, I called on her and suggested that she let me know if I made to much noise. well actually she said, I find the tv very intrusive and tinny.

I still have the 901's although they have not been used for over twenty years. Whilst my current setup is by far superior, I still remember with fondness the parties which could be heard in the next county. Sophisticated they weren't, but they could go bloody loud.

Rod

rodrat, Nov 19, 2004
  5. I-S

GAZZ

I live in a terrace house, don't buy a modern house after mid 60's. Do you know a local policeman, as they are good for letting you know what an area is like.

GAZZ, Nov 20, 2004
  6. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Car insurance is also a good guide I find...

I have today seen a house that is very promising indeed. Seems well insulated from neighbours sound-wise as they're solid stone terraces, and it's a nice enough area, and the listening room is a good size :D. Watch this space.

I-S, Nov 20, 2004
  7. I-S

stickman

If it's solid stone (I'm presuming it's old) check that it isn't built before 1840. If it is, by default it'll be Grade II listed and a complete pain in the arse.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2004
    stickman, Nov 20, 2004
  8. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

It's not that old, but will check, thanks for the heads-up

I-S, Nov 20, 2004
  9. I-S

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

That's not always the case though it's wise to check..
    Our house was built in 1680, with 2-3ft stone walls, and timber framing and has managed to miss out on being listed - probably because we're well away from passing traffic and no-one wanted to alert the council to it's age! All it means is that we do as much work as poss before it finally does get listed, as the listing is (luckily) not retrospective!
    But it also means I don't need a 10pm curfew for the neighbours sake (as I did when I lived in a flat in London).. Now I can have an authentic volume Motorhead gig in my living room at 4 in the morning, only the sheep in the field next door will be disturbed!

leonard smalls, Nov 21, 2004
  10. I-S

titian

Neighbours are always a problem when listening to music. Even if they are a mile away, there is always the subconscious feeling that they might still hear the music.
    Well I respect my neighbours very much: I never put on loud music or I ask them first if they would like to hear what I will play. Sometimes I even put on what they would like to listen to. So you see I'm a very social person, how couldn't I be living in a big house with so many neighbours. :D

titian, Nov 21, 2004
  11. I-S

analoguekid Planet Rush

bet this more to do with your kinks, than the music though :D

analoguekid, Nov 21, 2004
  12. I-S

Saab

wife thought we were moving from London to Yorks because of work.Actually,it was becuase of HIFI ie a detached house

if she ever found out.............................

Saab, Nov 21, 2004
  13. I-S

samuelellis

sorry to bump but i have to admit i live in a middle terrace house and listen loud into the night

never had a complaint ever (well apart from parents complaing the light fitting is rattling downstairs but never a neighbour)

remoind me to post the ultimate niehgbour annoyance track listing sometime

samuelellis, Nov 26, 2004
Ask a Question