mozilla.org problems?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by michaelab, Mar 21, 2004.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

For the last few days I've been unable to reach www.mozilla.org but I can't quite figure out what the problem is.

My ISP (ADSL) has been playing up quite a bit recently - a lot of "timed out when connecting" errors and some DNS problems but it's generally only bad during the working day so I assume it's a load issue.

At the weekend it seems fine. However, mozilla.org just isn't responding. When I hit www.mozilla.org I just get a blank page. If I try with IE6 I get a "page cannot be found" error. I also notice that the "Get Firebird" button at the bottom of each page here isn't appearing.

If I ping www.mozilla.org it seems fine though:

Code:
    Pinging rheet.mozilla.org [207.126.111.202] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 207.126.111.202: bytes=32 time=190ms TTL=240
    Reply from 207.126.111.202: bytes=32 time=191ms TTL=240
    Reply from 207.126.111.202: bytes=32 time=190ms TTL=240
    Reply from 207.126.111.202: bytes=32 time=191ms TTL=240

Ping statistics for 207.126.111.202:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 190ms, Maximum = 191ms, Average = 190ms
    But oddly, if I ftp to ftp.mozilla.org I get a site that has nothing to do with Mozilla (apparently). The welcome message (and the content) tell me I've reach Oregon State University which is supposed to be at ftp.oregonstate.edu ! Just tried it again and this time I did get the proper ftp.mozilla.org :confused: .

Something very strange going on. Might have to call my ISP to see if they're aware of any DNS issues they're having.

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 21, 2004
  2. michaelab

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Yeah its fine at my end. I often get this when certain sites won't load up on my connection but I know they are working fine.

What I did when I had it is changed the DNS address on my internet settings. Instead of linking to my router (10.0.0.2 local) I used BT's direct DNS address and the sites I was having problems with work fine.

I am not sure if it was strictly legal though but over at adslguide.org they said it was fine.

amazingtrade, Mar 21, 2004
  3. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

What do you get if you ping www.mozilla.org (from a command prompt)?

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 21, 2004
  4. michaelab

penance Arrogant Cock

quite a poor response.

penance, Mar 21, 2004
  5. michaelab

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Ian>ping mozilla.org

Pinging mozilla.org [207.126.111.202] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 207.126.111.202: bytes=32 time=163ms TTL=237
    Reply from 207.126.111.202: bytes=32 time=162ms TTL=237

Ping statistics for 207.126.111.202:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 162ms, Maximum = 163ms, Average = 162ms

Thats on a 512kbps connection.

6. michaelab

Sgt Rock

You think, remember each time a packet passes through a router it's response time increases.

I'd say that's not too bad a ping time.

Do a tracert www.mozilla.org, it's 20 hops for me.

Sgt Rock, Mar 21, 2004
  7. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Most odd. So the IP address I'm getting for www.mozilla.org is correct and I can ping it no problem but I can't send/receive HTTP from it :confused:

Also odd is that tracert doesn't work with anything - not even www.zerogain.com which I can access perfectly well. Usually I have no problems.

Even odder is that DNS seems to be working fine (for most things at least) but if I try to ping either of my ISP's DNS servers (by IP address or name) I get "request timed out". I can run nslookup on them though.

Curiouser and curiouser...I think I'll have to give their support line a call :(

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 21, 2004
  8. michaelab

penance Arrogant Cock

Mr Rock
    I get 25 hops to BBC.CO.Uk

turnaround is < 10ms;)

penance, Mar 21, 2004
  9. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

OK - starting to get somewhere. It's an issue with my router but what I have no idea. If I connect my ADSL modem direct to my PC then I don't have any issues. mozilla.org works fine and I can tracert etc. to anywhere I like.

Go via the router though and I have the problems. It's most odd that, of the sites that I regularly visit only mozilla.org should have the problem.

Once SWMBO has finished reading my e-mails I'll see if a router reset does the trick. If it doesn't it wouldn't be the first bit of Linksys kit that's broken down on me. I had a Linksys wireless access point which one day after a power cut simply stopped working (once the power was restored of course ;) ).

I hope that my ISP isn't doing something sneaky to prevent people using routers with their ADSL accounts. Does anyone know if this is even possible and/or if anyone's tried doing it?

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 21, 2004
  10. michaelab

visit adslguide.co.uk/or org I can't remember they told me exactly how to solve the problem.

How is your router setup is it DHCP or do you have it setup manualy. If so change the DNS to your ISPs rather than your router. This worked for me.

Also this may sound a little bit stupid but I find if I get total DNS errors where no sites work just restarting the router cures the problem.

I can't see the ISPs doing anything to stop people using routers but then it may be different over there. I know it says no where on my contract that says you cannot use routers. It just says you cannot have more than one connection, however you can only have one connection anyway, i.e the router.

11. michaelab

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I often have to reset my router when things like that happen.

PBirkett, Mar 21, 2004
  12. michaelab

Do you mean like a proper firmware reset? Luckily I've never had to this yet.

My router seems to have been very reliable considering it only cost me £40 and has a built in ADSL modem.

amazingtrade, Mar 22, 2004
  13. michaelab

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

If you can ping a URL then DNS is working because it has successfully translated the URL to a IP address. If your DNS was screwed it would tell you it either couldn't find the host or that the request timed out.

Normally if you can ping a URL but not get to the page in IE it means IP is fine but IE is corrupt or sulking in some way.

Can you get to the site by sticking http://207.126.111.202 into IE's address bar?

Tony.

TonyL, Mar 22, 2004
  14. michaelab

Sgt Rock

And how many of the hops are internal to your ISP ;)

Sgt Rock, Mar 22, 2004
  15. michaelab

Sgt Rock

Try typing the following from a command prompt :-

telnet 207.126.111.202 80 <ret>

qwerty <ret> <ret>

If you get something like the following then your ADSL router is allowing port 80 through :-

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
    Server: Netscape-Enterprise/3.6 SP2

Your browser sent a message this server could not understand.

Connection to host lost.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2004
    Sgt Rock, Mar 22, 2004
  16. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Tried a router reset (the full "hold down the button for 30 seconds" monty) and after reconfiguring it again from scratch...no joy :(

SgtRock - great suggestion about using telnet to simulate a browser, didn't occur to me - doh!

So - I tried simluating several valid GET requests to various hosts that work for me and got the expected responses. Tried a valid GET request to www.mozilla.org and there's just no response - in fact, telnet just bombs out without even so much as a "connection to host lost" :confused:

If I try sending junk to port 80 I do get the "Invliad HTTP request" status code 400 response though.

I can rule out all browser and/or firewall (ZoneAlarm) issues as everything works fine without the router in the loop.

The other odd thing is that I can run tracert perfectly fine when I'm not using the router but with the router in the loop it just times out to every host (except for ones on my LAN).

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 22, 2004
  17. michaelab

Sgt Rock

It sounds like your router is blocking ICMP, ping and traceroute uses it, but is odd that you could ping earlier :confused:

Sgt Rock, Mar 22, 2004
  18. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Just found this thread on a forum/site that looks like it has a lot of useful info.

I had suspected a potential MTU issue but will look into it more. So far nothing I've changed has fixed it.

I can ping (outgoing) but even if I enabled incoming ICMP in ZoneAlarm my machine is un-pingable from the outside world.

Seems I'm not the only one with the problem:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8262891~mode=flat?hilite=tracert

Will investigate a firmware downgrade. One thing's for sure - I'm never buying another Linksys product again :mad:

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 22, 2004
  19. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

OK - firmware downgrade has fixed the tracert issue but the other problem still exists (can't connect to certain sites) so I guess the two were unrelated :(

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 22, 2004
  20. michaelab

Paul Ranson

My router has been up for more than 58 days. And only that short a time because something tripped the house electrics....

Sorry not to be helpful, getting a 400 from garbage but nothing from a valid request is very odd. Does the router logging allow tje contents of all packets to be recorded?

Paul

Paul Ranson, Mar 22, 2004
Ask a Question