MPG ratings online?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Heavymental, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Heavymental

Heavymental

I'm trying to find a site that lists MPG for vehicles. Sure there must be one out there but Google hasn't unearthed one. Anyone seen one?

I'm thinking of getting a small panel van (Boxer, Vito etc.) that I could stick a bed, stove and fridge in. A few friends have converted vans and I'm starting to think it would give me alot more freedom. E.g. make holidays/weekends away far simpler/cheaper and the space in the back to chuck bikes etc would be very handy and more secure than an estate car. Some of the better vans drive like cars anyway.

Only trouble is I have a longish commute so don't want to waste money on fuel as I would with a 30mpg vehicle so wanted to see what was the average for a van.

Heavymental, Jan 11, 2006
  2. Heavymental

Telkman Nurturing Malevolence

Parkers list MPG in their specs, but probably not much in the way of vans.

Telkman, Jan 11, 2006
  3. Heavymental

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Also it dosn't mean the vehicle you buy will produce that as the slightest fault can affect MPG such as a poor glow plug or failed lamda sensor. My dads car is returning 20mpg at the moment even though the books say 35 for example.

amazingtrade, Jan 11, 2006
  4. Heavymental

la toilette Downright stupid

Get yourself an old turbo diesel Espace, the later mk2's can allegedly to up to 45mpg. I have a 94 one and reliably get 40mpg average, unless I do loads of town driving in which case it slips to upper 30's. The reason for their good economy is that they're made of fibreglass so are very light, and also don't rust and are more spritely than your average 10 year old van.
    Bad points include niggles aplenty, but overall seemingly reliable so far as far as starting, going, stopping is concerned. Only major drawback for your useage is that they don't have the headroom you'd get with a mid-large van, which might make it unsuitable. Also, no side sliding door, which is a shame.
    But, I looked at a lot of vans and I didn't think they were good value for money for my price range - I had about £1500 to spend and that wouldn't buy me what I wanted (i.e. a vw transporter or Jap van in reasonable condition). All it would buy me van-wise was either a transit or similar rusty-beaten-up-high-mileage-gas-guzzling-smoky-ex-builders-van, + VAT + paint splatters.

Just a thought....

la toilette, Jan 11, 2006
  5. Heavymental

lordsummit moderate mod

Anything with the VW 1.9TD will get you 50ish if you don't cane it.

lordsummit, Jan 11, 2006
  6. Heavymental

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

That is a great engine, my uncle has the 1.9 none TD version in a Skoda Fabria.

amazingtrade, Jan 11, 2006
  7. Heavymental

Heavymental

Cheers Toilette,
    Want something to put a bed in really so people carrier isn't an option really....well it could be I suppose but I want to start with a van really as a more practical option.
    Does look tricky to find something without high mileage/abuse for under 5k though unfortunately.

Heavymental, Jan 12, 2006
  8. Heavymental

la toilette Downright stupid

I want to retract my suggestion anyway, as the Espace has just conked out, boohoo.

la toilette, Jan 12, 2006
  9. Heavymental

Heavymental

Just dragging this back up as I'm still after a van.

Lordsummit. Which vans have that 1.9d engine in them? Transporter I spose but anything else?

Also what are the ups and downs of other swb Transit size/style vans? I did have my heart set on a Transit and found an M reg van that had done very few miles which was £1200 but a friend warned me away as he said they rust quickly. He then suggested a Boxer but went on to say they're gutless so we ended up on Sprinters or Vitos which are expensive to buy and repair by all accounts! Left me feeling pretty confused!

Heavymental, Apr 4, 2006
Ask a Question