Mr.g.b. Wants To....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nando, Mar 13, 2007.

1. nando

nando nando

BIG MAN UP THERE "SO HE THINKS", the goverment wants all electrical goods to stop having stand-by switches, oh dear.nando

nando, Mar 13, 2007
  2. nando

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Why Oh Dear?

MO!, Mar 13, 2007
  3. nando

nando nando

next move is to use wound up hi-fi- or on a nice note candle light dinner, do you know what will happen next to hi-fi ? regards nando.

nando, Mar 13, 2007
  4. nando

mr cat Member of the month

what planet are you on..?

mr cat, Mar 13, 2007
  5. nando

Dev Moderator

Joseph, a couple of questions for you:-

1) What have you been smoking?
    2) What sort of pills do we need to take to visit your planet?

:D. Sorry to take the piss but what are you talking about?

Dev, Mar 13, 2007
  6. nando

Dev Moderator

Ah, do you mean that it won't be possible to keep certain parts of HiFi on all the time, for example Arcam kit? Instead, potentially more people will leave the kit on all the time, thus negating the perceived green benefits of the legislation?

Dev, Mar 13, 2007
  7. nando

nando nando

getting closer dev, drugs? what drugs, i wish but no thanks i rather live in reality, ta nando.

nando, Mar 13, 2007
  8. nando

nando nando

put it this way dev,, if you are stack in a traffic jam and turn your car engine of to save fuel , the conbustion on switching the dam thing on will comsume more than leave it on, same as hi-fi, nando.

nando, Mar 13, 2007
  9. nando

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

That analogy isn't valid.

I-S, Mar 13, 2007
  10. nando

Tenson Moderator

The power saving people are fooking obsessed with standby. Apparently the equipment in the UK on standby takes up as much power as a whole station can produce. But really, who cares? We pay for it! If the concern is the environment (not the usage of fuel), then consider that a few less flights in the air will save more environment than God knows how many TVs on standby.

It seems to me the government just wants to look like it is doing something. Or, they are being fed stupid information.

Tenson, Mar 13, 2007
  11. nando

nando nando

simon you are a genious,i mean that good response, nando.

nando, Mar 13, 2007
  12. nando

Dev Moderator

I think that is the point Nando is trying to make, despite his analogies:D. I.e. how effective will it be in practice. It MAY save some energy but may lead to reduced component life. Eg, saving petrol in traffic queues but wearing out the starter motor more quickly. Of course if the starter motors etc. are designed for stop start operation there should be less of an issue.

If anyone really wants to go green they should stop buying more and more appliances. For example, I understand that it takes more energy to build a car than most of them will save in their lifetime by the use of more efficient technology over their predecessors. So maintaining the older cars better and not replacing them as frequently will actually save more energy.

Dev, Mar 13, 2007
  13. nando

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Tenson, you can't dismiss the importance of saving wasted electricity by using the example of another waste of power.

Both issues need attention.

Nando, I feel a language barrier is stopping you get your point across well. Either that, or you don't have a good point.

bottleneck, Mar 13, 2007
  14. nando

nando nando

the issue that i am trying to make on this thread, it's quite simple, if this issue about going "green" is that those that do not nothing about it but only punish us just to gain votes as riding in the band wagon of poitical correcness, what do they know about electronics? or cars, trains, underground, or the underground does not consume electricity! why pick on subjects that they do not nothing about and concentrate on what is, is a matter of do as i say not as i do, let all the ministers ride bikes. nando

nando, Mar 13, 2007
  15. nando

nando nando

how sad, regards.

nando, Mar 13, 2007
  16. nando

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

if the government wants to show the way on going green then lets see the pack of lazy overpayed slackers bike it into work every day.

that'll send the right message.

not that i'm against green. i turn everying off except my cd player overnight, i would turn that off but it takes hours to come on song and draws very little on standby.

sq225917, Mar 13, 2007
  17. nando

nando nando

absolutlly.nando

nando, Mar 13, 2007
  18. nando

Tenson Moderator

Chris,

I take your point, but I don't see a problem with using electricity except for the pollution, and as we know, there are more effective ways to clean up the environment than not having standby!

I suppose it concerns me that we will run out of fuel, but I'm sure there are other methods of generating power and we will find them pretty quickly when we have no oil left to charge the earth for.

Tenson, Mar 13, 2007
  19. nando

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

if your example was correct - then getting rid of 'standby' is one less power station. One less power station in every developed country would be a significant contribution towards reaching the reduction in Co2 emissions we need to reach.

It's not just hifi of course - but light bulbs left on, t.v.s that no-one's watching etc - as a species we need to be less flagrantly wasteful.

bottleneck, Mar 13, 2007
  20. nando

Tenson Moderator

There are about 2,000 power stations in the UK alone. Even by having one less in EVERY country in the world we would only save about 190.

I think there must be more effective ways to save the environment, that’s all I'm saying.

Tenson, Mar 13, 2007
Ask a Question