Mr.g.b. Wants To....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nando, Mar 13, 2007.

1. nando

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Mar 13, 2007
  2. nando

nando nando

cars, trains , tubes , cars, aeroplanes ,motorbikes, vibrators, anything else that we use or do not use e.g.; hi-fi suports made of real wood, from almost of all rain forest's specially mahoghany from guyana, or other woods to make speaker cabinets or other ways,why do we as consumers have to bare this nanny shite, when they will do as they want, sorry but i am very upset that they are riding in a wagon to the gain of no, no's votes, i rather have zanash as a prime minister of the electronic world, regards (sic) nando.

nando, Mar 13, 2007
  3. nando

Tenson Moderator

What do you count as 'proper'? There are still around 1800 power station in the UK that have a capacity over 30MW. 30megawatts ain't exactly small!

It also depends what size power station that leaflet I read was referring to when it said a whole power station is used by thing so n standby.

More detailed figures here - http://www.aepuk.com/faq_pdf/dukes_2005_5.11.xls

Tenson, Mar 13, 2007
  4. nando

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I suggest using amplifiers that are 94% efficient. :p

I-S, Mar 13, 2007
  5. nando

felix part-time Horta

Good point!

The fly in that ointment is that they are not 94% efficient at idle - many of the current 'digital' amps have an idling consumption very close to regular class AB amps. And given average peak:mean ratios in music - say 1:10 - there's not actually much in it at all; most hifi amps, most of the time, will be delivering rather less than (say) 5W RMS.

(this *is* partly to stir the pot - I'd love to find out I'm wrong..)

felix, Mar 13, 2007
  6. nando

It IS tiddly next to a big un that kicks out 2,000MW

bottleneck, Mar 13, 2007
  7. nando

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Isn't the pollution the point that's being addressed?

Yes there may be MOre effective ways, and the standby thing may only be a small thing. But it's still something. It's like that advert that was running a while back. It shows one person saying what difference can 1 person make? Then it zooms out and shows the difference lots of individuals can make.

Small changes add up.

Just because there's better/other ways doesn't mean it's pointless.

Just as, just because it's likely being done as a vote winner wont make it less effective.

These idiots on celeb' fame accademy might be MOre interested in themselves than raising MOney for charity. But if it raises the MOney, who cares?

MO!, Mar 13, 2007
  8. nando

Felix - that's true in some cases. You can set switching amplifiers to idle with very low power loss, or with higher losses. In most cases this is a trade off against audio performance.

However, the right design can achieve both good performance and excellent thermals.

I-S, Mar 13, 2007
  9. nando

penance Arrogant Cock

I would rather do that than live in a world that is fucked by our own ignorance.

It seems quite simple to me, stop thinking about ourselves for once and consider the effect on future generations.

penance, Mar 13, 2007
  10. nando

nando nando

witch ones, the youth of today ? not very likely. apart from my planet JUPITER wich i will go back to, as it seems anywhere but earth, .nando.

nando, Mar 13, 2007
  11. nando

penance Arrogant Cock

I am not sure what you are saying, but it appears to be very selfish.

penance, Mar 13, 2007
  12. nando

nando nando

who in this world has not got a selfish streak ? let me tell you something witch you may not agree, but that you are entitled to, life as we live it is ours to enjoy, the powers that be decide otherways, we are pawns on a chess game, we were given a gift of life to enjoy one of the most pleasureble things in life "MUSIC" it does not account for any aid at all to save what goverments have done to this earth, merelly an excuse to hide the fuxcck uups that they have done, and take it out on us, never mind telling you the facts about "planet earth" every one million years the axis tilds by 2.5 degrees, what used to be ground was covered by ice ,now it is going to reverse , , please study ...nando

nando, Mar 13, 2007
  13. nando

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

truth is we all should just ignore the arseholes who RUiN the country on our behalf and look at finding our personally acceptable means of saving the planet.

sq225917, Mar 13, 2007
  14. nando

Tenson Moderator

Chris,

I did a quick estimate based as follows - 25million households in the UK. Each uses 50watts of power for items on standby (VCR, TV, satellite box and a stacker-stereo). That gives us a use of about 1200MW. So we are not talking about small power station as I thought we might be. But it is still only 1 out of about 100. By the way, looking at the list I posted, all the small ones (below about 400MW) add up to 10,000MW, not that small when they are added together.

So okay, like you said if every country stopped using standby it would make some difference. Things will have to be designed right so they don't wear out more from start-up surge.

I don't really mind anyway, I don't use standby very much. But I think if the government are doing something, they should bloody do something, not something so trivial as this.

How about Americans stop driving everywhere when they can easily walk. And people are given a limit to the umber of flights they can take each year (could be different for people flying on business I guess).

I wonder how much difference any of it will make when we are rushing to build loads more houses, and construction works is the worlds biggest polluter with concrete production etc... IIRC.

My general feeling is that we need to act big to make any difference to the damage done.

Anyway enough from me! SQ225917 has it right :)

Tenson, Mar 14, 2007
  15. nando

penance Arrogant Cock

I have studied, thank you.
    If you care top check the figures then there is fair evidence to say that we have accelerated the rate of change.

I still think your attitude is selfish.

penance, Mar 14, 2007
  16. nando

I agree that it's not exactly going to solve the problem on it's own.

We need joined-up-thinking with attention paid to each and every avenue of energy reduction.

For example - why not have legislation that every new home built must have solar panels on the roof? - just one example

bottleneck, Mar 14, 2007
  17. nando

penance Arrogant Cock

Also add rainwater conservation to that, along with grey water recycling.

penance, Mar 14, 2007
  18. nando

felix part-time Horta

Qquite; though actually, in the UK, you'd get much bigger gains from using solar thermal collectors to pre-heat domestic hot water.

You might be interested to know that current (2006 part L) building regs require fabric losses that are now nearing the irreducable-without-being-uneconomic. Much of the remaining energy loss is due to (necessary) ventilation to let the occupants breathe and carry away their water vapour etc. This is why the 2006 update increased the emphasis on 'controlled services' - mandating lower energy consumption in household appliances and the use of low-energy light fittings (in dedicated fittings) for hallways etc. Expect to see more of this kind of structure before long...

Meanwhile Planning Policy Statement 1 cleared the way for local Planning authorities to be able to stipulate a certain percentage of energy generation onsite as part of Planning approval... it's discretionary, and a big step forward.

felix, Mar 14, 2007
  19. nando

If we had a reputation points system on this site, you'd have received some from me for that post felix.

I-S, Mar 14, 2007
  20. nando

yes.. you 'know what you are talking about' clearly.

..I wish we had 'solar thermal heaters to heat domestic water'... and I think that's what I was trying to say, but didn't possess the necessary knowledge to qualify properly.

I firmly believe if such items were built in to design / build costs from day one it wouldn't add much to the cost of a home, and would act as a positive selling point with guaranteed reduction in household bills.

bottleneck, Mar 14, 2007
Ask a Question