Mr Scruff - Keep It Unreal @ The Honeycomb, Edinburgh

Discussion in 'General Music' started by BL21DE3, May 22, 2004.

1. BL21DE3

BL21DE3 aka 'Lucky'

Just my quick review of an excellent gig.

Well the night got off to a good start with a half-hour delay. However once the queue had made it's way into the venue the decks were already spinning for the 4 hour set. An excellent blend of tracks, starting with some reggae/dub, moving into hip-hop, breakbeat, funk, soul, breakbeat etc. Obvious highlights were Mr Scruffs own tracks such as Spandex Man and Fish which got everyone onto the floor, however the whole set kept the floor moving for the night (my legs are killing me now). The gig certainly had a feel all of it's own, helped no doubt by the wonderful and quirky animated projections proclaiming that pies are nice and demonstarting Mr Scruff's love of things aquatic/pie related. The fun atmosphere was also aided by the presence of Mr Scruff's Tea Shop. Yep all throughout the night you could get a nice cup of tea or coffee (with all the money going to a local charity) and to keep the tea theme going you could also get Mr Scruff teapots and tea caddies, makes a change from the usual tour poster or t-shirt :). The late start was more than compensated for by the fact that he played for an extra half an hour at the end. With the final encore being an excellent version of Get A Move On, which left everyone on a high note at the end of an excellent night.

Most definitely an event worth catching if your into the funky/quirky side of breakbeat and Ninja Tune artists in general.

BL21DE3, May 22, 2004
  2. BL21DE3

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Mr Scruff is performing at the Rob Gretton gig tomorrow night in which I am attending. I've not heared his stuff before but from what you've said it sounds promising.

New Order should hopefully be there too, as well the Doves and ACR. Pickering and Grahame Park are also DJ'ing together for the first time since 1992.

amazingtrade, May 22, 2004
Ask a Question