Much of an upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mattykhz, Apr 11, 2006.

1. mattykhz

mattykhz

I currently own a Audiolab 8000A which feeds Kef 103/4 speakers. I have got hold of a 8000P finally to biamp using the A to drive the highs and the P to drive the lows.

My source equipment is a Marantz 63KI.

I am wondering if it will be much of an upgrade to replace this with a Audiolab 8000CD.

The benefit would be a system of similar looking units. But is the Audiolab much of an improvement over the Marantz?

Any other areas I can improve. I am using Nordost Flatline 2 biwire speaker cable. Have an old Audioquest interconnect between amp and cd but have just ordered some Van Den Hul D102 III's.

By going the Audiolab route at least I can upgrade as time goes on and add a DAC to the CD or another P later. Even change the A for a S if that is worthwhile (can you still biamp using S to drive highs and P lows?)

Any advice would be appreciated.

mattykhz, Apr 11, 2006
  2. mattykhz

lordsummit moderate mod

I wouldn't have thought so. You could always add a DAC to the Marantz.

lordsummit, Apr 11, 2006
  3. mattykhz

RobHolt Moderator

Bit of a sideways move, though the Audiolab stuff is well built and reliable. A lot will depend on the condition and cost of the 8000CD. If it's minty and cheap then yeah, I'd go for it.

I like the old Audiolab amps which don't deserve the bashing the got from certain elements of the press.

RobHolt, Apr 11, 2006
  4. mattykhz

ditton happy old soul

the audiolab 8000S is very much better than the 8000a; this is especially the case for the preamp, which is the weakest part of the 8000a.

I would do that upgrade first, and would also back the idea of adding a dac but in truth I have not listened to the 8000cd.

ditton, Apr 11, 2006
  5. mattykhz

zanash

the 63i..is a good player , your going to need to go a long way to get better. Its quite a good match to the [imo] rather forward sound of the 8000 series.

zanash, Apr 11, 2006
  6. mattykhz

ditton happy old soul

I've just been looking at ebay, where I see that there are two 8000S for sale, the blurb for one says: "This is a very versatile little amp.*Replaced the 8000A*and is*considerably better having*an*upgraded pre-amp, not to knock the*8000A as it is also a good amp. 'What Hi Fi' rated*the 8000S*at 5 stars and was Highly Recommended in*their 1996 Awards described as 'EFFORTLESS POWER*and OPEN, DETAILED soundstage'.

To anyone who is unfamiliar,*it*is an integrated amp*that can also operate as an*standalone pre or power amp, the pre-amp being very good, which makes it ideal*for upgrade at a later date.* It is pretty punchy and refined as*an integrated amp at 60 watts but when used as a pre-amp and hooked up to an 8000P power amp the control and depth*are further improved"

btw, I have an 8000S spare, which is currently doing AV duties.

ditton, Apr 11, 2006
  7. mattykhz

mattykhz

Does that mean that you can use the S like I will be my A, ie S feeding the highs and P feeding the lows so in essence bi-amping?

mattykhz, Apr 11, 2006
  8. mattykhz

ditton happy old soul

yes, S can do all that the A can do and much more. PM Shrink for the fine detail as he has had lots of experience with Audiolab and bi-wiring.

ditton, Apr 11, 2006
Ask a Question