Music is over compressed these days?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tenson, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

A complaint I hear quite often among audiophiles is that cd's are mastered with too much dynamic compression these days. I would have to agree. A prime example of this would be the Googoo Dolls cd Gutter Flower. I like the music, but never listen because it has so much compression on it I just find it fatiguing and sounds kinda boring.

I may have a good solution though!

I recently got a Behringer DEQ2496 to help with some minor room modes which were still there after treating the room. Great it helped that. But, one thing I had wanted to try out with it is the dynamics section.

As it is designed as a mastering processor for studios it has a compressor and expander. I had often thought why don't people ever build an expander (an expander is the opposite of a compressor, proportionally reducing the level of a signal depending on how far past the threshold it is essentially 'stretching' the dynamic range) into Hi-Fi to counteract over compression? and that's just what the DEQ2496 can do! Put the expander on with a gentle slope ratio of say 1:1.2 and a 0db threshold, tweak the attack and the release and there you go! The un-listenable ultra-compressed Googoo Dolls CD is now listenable and far more dynamic.

It doesn't bring back that small missing detail or anything but it does stop it from feeling all up in your face and sounds like the music can breath again.

So basically anyone who feels music is too compressed, why not get an expander and put it in your system? You don't have to get the DEQ2496 as there are other compressor/expanders (they usually come together) around half the price, but the DEQ2496 is nice because you can use it in pure digital mode between transport and DAC so as not to degrade the signal at all.

Just thought I would share my rather good experience!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2004
    Tenson, Sep 21, 2004
  2. Tenson

PBirkett VTEC Addict

That DEQ2496 has its own DAC as well doesnt it?

PBirkett, Sep 21, 2004
  3. Tenson

michaelab desafinado

Ahh but Tenson, surely you must know that audiophiles and equalizers are sworn enemies? :D

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 21, 2004
  4. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Yep, and its very good too. I thought I would have to get a separate DAC to match the Arcam Alpha 9 I sold but it really is just as good, maybe even better in sound-stage and slightly more detail. Only it sounds harsher and a tad less 'solid'.

I know at least 2 people who have done a few mods on the DAC in the DEQ2496 (power supply, op-amps, caps) and they say it really is a killer then.

...it sounded like absolute shit for the first day though until it had warmed up ;)

Tenson, Sep 21, 2004
  5. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Well you dont have to use the EQ part :p

Tenson, Sep 21, 2004
  6. Tenson

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Sounds good mate. As for the harshness, well being an EQ thats very easy to fix :D

PBirkett, Sep 21, 2004
  7. Tenson

PumaMan

My girlfriend said that the Scissor Sisters album didnt sound as loud and punchy on my hifi at home as it did on her £80 car stereo with 10cm speakers.

I did think about explaining the reasons why that was but then decided it would be easier and less painful to slam my nuts in the fridge door. Ice pack anyone?

PumaMan, Sep 21, 2004
  8. Tenson

Hodgesaargh

Tenson you could start up a business decompressing people's CDs and making them expanded copies...

Hodgesaargh, Sep 21, 2004
  9. Tenson

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Oasis CD's sound like a prime candidate for this type of treatment.

PBirkett, Sep 21, 2004
  10. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

You know I had the same thought myself :cool: But I just told you all how to do it :rolleyes: Damn!

If my other computer was not broken right now I would put a few examples for you all to have a listen too.

Tenson, Sep 21, 2004
  11. Tenson

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

They sound rather bright though don't they? The last time I tried listening to Defiantly Maybe it sounded so bright it was quite hard to listen to. The brightness seems to take away some vital music as well and perhaps makes the mid range sound dull.

Has anybody ever edited music with software such as Adobe Audition? With the right hardware you could probably get some good results.

amazingtrade, Sep 21, 2004
  12. Tenson

michaelab desafinado

Oasis CD's sound shite, full stop. You can't polish a turd :D

But yes, they are horribly compressed and badly recorded (I have most of them :shame: )

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 21, 2004
  13. Tenson

analoguekid Planet Rush

Thanks for the tip Tenson, will try it on the computer, sound forge has a plug in that can do this, I'm sure some of the other wav recorders will have something simliar, then burn to CD, will let you know how I get on.

analoguekid, Sep 21, 2004
  14. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Basically you are talking about digital re-mastering :)

Adobe Audition is crap from what I hear and is CoolEdit bought out then made worse.

CoolEdit is good though, I use CoolEdit Pro 2 for editing jobs.

Software tends to sound crap in comparison to hardware. Even, strangely, if the hardware is digital.

There is lots you can do to improve stuff, as re-mastered re-releases prove. But in honesty you wont get very good results even with the best of equipment without lots of experience doing it.

Tenson, Sep 21, 2004
  15. Tenson

analoguekid Planet Rush

I use sounforge ^ really is the "daddy of wave editors" IMHO I use it mostly for editing discs that the misses uses for her aerobics class, the plug ins are all direct x so could seee if it works in real time, I have also used it for changing the speed (but not the pitch) of a track, (to siut aerobics class) and have also had good success using Mixmeister (think I got it free with audigy) this is great for altering speed, and for seamless mixing), Not sure if it's better than hardware or not so will take your word for it, however in the absence of equipment such as yours (and not wishing to purchase any) I really want to try it on something like McAlmont and Butler's first cd, which is deffinately in need of help, either that or David McAlmonts voice is really quiet in the mix.

analoguekid, Sep 21, 2004
  16. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

SoundForge or CoolEdit.. it's a personal thing as there isn't a lot in them. I just prefer the way CoolEdit feels.

SADiE is what's generally used for mastering CDs on a computer in the professional world, but again you need extra hardware to make it work :(

But yeah have a go, you may find new life in those 'too bad to listen too' recordings!

Tenson, Sep 21, 2004
  17. Tenson

Hodgesaargh

How about Pro Tools? I've been told it costs about £20k though!

Hodgesaargh, Sep 22, 2004
Ask a Question