Musical Chairs

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by pixies, May 12, 2008.

1. pixies

pixies a menace to society

Awful game. Always started fights in my play group.
    Fancy a bit of a change. Technodec, NAS spacedeck, Roksan Radius 5 or Clearaudio to replace a Planer3? And what sort of money sould I be looking at to get some nice sounds out of some Quad 988's? seems to be a few integrateds around the £1000 to replace a 99/909 combo. not that any of the existing gear sounds in any way bad but it's got to be more fun (and possibly cheaper) than redecorating.

pixies, May 12, 2008
  2. pixies

zanash

for me .....you'd need to treble the budget to get a significant step up from the very accomplished 99 909.....the pre is special and the power though long in the tooth design will play what you feed it ie if its a poor source then you'll get poor sound !

I'm thinking that your hear a relatively laid back sound and presentation .... you don't mention what cables your using ...the 99-909 will respond well to this aspect.

p3 is not the best deck in the world imo and even at its price point there are many I would now consider better sounding ......

but this is personal taste....

I've heard a td160 of 25 plus years see off a p3 with similar arm and cart

you may be better throwing your dosh at a top flight cart to get that big step in sound that your after ......

of those you mention ...the nas is a great sounding deck [as long as it sited right.]

zanash, May 13, 2008
  3. pixies

Hi

Wouldn't say the sound is overly laid back but then again I've only heard these speakers with one other amp which was the two fortys over five years ago - hardly an AB comparison!
    I have chord anthem ic's in between the pre and power (came with the 909) and Sonic Link silver pink for the cdp. Planar cabling, well....

I Have some nice looking TAG speaker cable that also came with the 909, think it's pretty expensive and used it replaced the Ixos 603 speaker cable I originally used with the 988's simply because it was there. The Denon dl110 is a huge improvement on the Elys I changed it for. Works well with the 99 phono stage, but then again, as with the rest of the system I've not really experimented apart from a Tacima mains conditioner which did increase clarity.

pixies, May 13, 2008
  4. pixies

By the way, I do have a genuine musical chair for sale. The flowery cushion is an optional extra but it really does improve sound quality. Unless you want to argue with my nan...

pixies, May 13, 2008
  5. pixies

Mark P

someone on this forum or PFM is offering a whole Clear audio package for around £500 IIRC. (Not me BTW)

Honestly, I'd stick with the Quad. It's got a lot more to give if you feed it well.

Mark P, May 13, 2008
  6. pixies

would that be acrylic?

pixies, May 13, 2008
Ask a Question