Musical Fidelity A5 CD - Help!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by unclepuncle, Jun 10, 2006.

1. unclepuncle

unclepuncle

Does anyone here own or have any experience of the Musical Fidelity A5 CD?

I bought one of ebay last week on behalf of a friend (his Marantz SA-17S1 is on ebay now - see the classified section).
    Anyway the A5 arrived today and looked immaculate - the seller reckoned he's only used it for about 10 hours, and having spoken to him he seemed totally genuine. But after connecting it up and switching on I couldn't initially get the draw to open using the open/close button on the player. Eventually after switching it on and off a few times and a bit of pulling on the drawer I got it open and inserted a CD which played fine.

I then found out by chance that once you have stopped a CD using the remote you can press the stop button again to open and close the drawer with the remote. However, both on opening and closing the mechanism is very fierce - it really slams the draw out and back in again. The discs play fine but my friend thinks it isn't right. His Marantz takes about 3 seconds to open or close the draw.
    Is this fast opening and closing standard for this player or possibly a fualty mechanism?

Any help greatly appreciated.

unclepuncle, Jun 10, 2006
  2. unclepuncle

unclepuncle

From the user reviews at audioreview.com it seems like it is normal on these players for the draw to open and close like a rocket.

unclepuncle, Jun 10, 2006
  3. unclepuncle

gsrai

Mate my Xray V3 and A5 Cd player were like the drawers on the till in "open all hours". I would speak with Nando as he is a bit of an expert but from what you are saying I reckon it is the norm!

gsrai, Jun 10, 2006
  4. unclepuncle

VinylLover

I had a A5 on demo recently and can confirm the drawer opens and closes like a rocket. In fact Shadow Audio warned me about it before hand.

VinylLover, Jun 12, 2006
Ask a Question