Musical Fidelity - brutal and unrefined ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by alby, Oct 29, 2006.

1. alby

alby Its good enough for Jazz!

I have been looking and listening at Amps and CD players for some time , and have some hope that I will find the sound I am after , I have always found the MF kit I have listened to brutal and unrefined , except one home set up in which there was a high end MF amp to outragously expensive speakers, most of my listening has been in HI FI demo rooms - dealers seem very fond of it, am I missing something ?

Regards

Alby

alby, Oct 29, 2006
  2. alby

narabdela

Maybe you like some sugar coating on your pill?

narabdela, Oct 29, 2006
  3. alby

Petergc

I too, dislike the MF sound when I have heard it. But then, it's all in the ears of the individual, yours and my 'brutal and unforgiving' is someone elses accurate and transparent.
    If you like something a little warmer, try valves, or solid state such as primare, electrocompaniet, or even arcam

Petergc, Oct 29, 2006
  4. alby

nando nando

brutal m.f.? the only thing that's brutal about m.f. is the boss..nando

nando, Oct 29, 2006
  5. alby

zanash

I'd mostly agree too, though not the end of the world. If you like the look of mf its not hard to improve the sound by careful selection of new parts.

I've just spent sunday rebuilding [another ] xdacv3 which went from nassal upfront to open and natural [with a huge sound stage].

The designs are often good but it appears that the bean counters have put the cheapest components in they can find ie jamicon caps etc.

zanash, Oct 30, 2006
  6. alby

nando nando

hi peter, "for all is worth" try black gate caps..regards nando.

nando, Oct 31, 2006
  7. alby

mr cat Member of the month

what about the shaven hair?

mr cat, Oct 31, 2006
  8. alby

ErikfH

Nando, just curious but did you replace their standard (jamicon?) caps for black gates in a particular MF unit? If so, how did this effect the result?

ErikfH, Oct 31, 2006
  9. alby

zanash

I hate the ...horribly expensive weeks to break in .....

I use pana fc in power supplys

stargets and pio's else where...

zanash, Oct 31, 2006
  10. alby

nando nando

black gates

i did replaced their cheap (jamicon's) on two items that i have, nu-vita 300 amp/pwr supply, and nu-vista M3 int. amp, high freq. mid, vocals, speed , the list is very long, not cheap but worth all the musicality pleasure that it brings, super caps, nando.

nando, Nov 1, 2006
  11. alby

ErikfH

Nando, Zanash, thanks for this. I understood that MF designs are pretty good but also sensitive to replacement of the components used.

ErikfH, Nov 3, 2006
  12. alby

gavman

i don't know about the more recent gear, but i previously owned 2 A100's and absolutely loved the sound from them.

i found them to be, if anything, on the warm side of neutral..?

also had positive experiences with A-370 and P-180's...also XA-200's
    while my F25 pre was very revealing and much more forward, but never unrefined

showing my age i know!

gavman, Nov 3, 2006
  13. alby

Dev Moderator

I liked my XA/2 and XA200 biamped setup very much. Wish I hadn't sold them:(.

Dev, Nov 3, 2006
  14. alby

unclepuncle

Most of MF's gear is generally pretty good - not necessarily best in class but not terrible either. They certainly seem more preoccupied with the aesthetics of their gear rather than the component inside - never mind the quality feel the width.

It seems that it has become fashionable to slag them off - largely their own fault mind, due to the ridiculous hyperbole of some of their marketing and the never ending changes to their product line up which makes depreciation pretty heavy.

unclepuncle, Nov 3, 2006
  15. alby

Dev Moderator

I agree whole-heartedly. Their marketing is the reason why I'd never buy another MF product.

Dev, Nov 3, 2006
  16. alby

MO! MOnkey`ead!

From what I remember it was MOre like you gave them away than sold them at the price you offered them at!

MO!, Nov 3, 2006
  17. alby

gavman

back in the day mf were my choice in amps- there weren't any other british companies building high current solid state amps to rival the likes of krell. bit warmer sounding, too. i think of 2 brace of P180's with CRPS (yup), or the SA470...what a bit of kit!

personalities is a tricky one, and i'll refrain from saying anything libellous. all i will say is things seemed to go downhill about the time of the odesyuss (?), which coincided with my leaving the trade. so my memories may be distorted by ignorance of everything that has transpired since

i generally thought their gear spanked naim's bottom, but then again i always had 'alternatives' to the ubiquitous LP12 so what do i know..? the sound just seemed to have a life and depth that was lacking in many solid state amps of the time, together with an inherent musicallity.
    it was a real toss up for me between XA200 monoblocks and the Krell KSA100 i decided upon. the mfs had a sweeter, more enjoyable sound, and were clearly going to be less fatiguing in the long run. i would characterise it as an "english" sounding amp; not strident or aggressive, but utterly seductive and guaranteed to draw you in
    many people would have picked the mfs in a blind test, but i couldn't live without the darkness or the soundstage, so i bought the Krell

gav

gavman, Nov 4, 2006
  18. alby

gavman

ok alchemist were also building big amps, but they were a bit too twitchy for me :JOEL:

gavman, Nov 4, 2006
  19. alby

Antony

I had a MF E624 with A1000 for a long time and enjoyed it. Not a high resolution set up, but enjoyable when warmed up.

The newer stuff that I have heard (Tri Vista/A3.2) is more 'hi-fi', but not brutal or unrefined, certainly not to my ears. Good but not amazing.

Mind you, I think the X10-V3 is the biggest piece of junk I have ever heard. What is the point of it, why would you bother???

Antony, Nov 4, 2006
  20. alby

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Because you might "need" to upgrade from your out of date V1 or V2! ;)

MO!, Nov 4, 2006
Ask a Question