Musical Fidelity Nu Vista CD Player

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Malky, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Malky

Malky

Hello
    I was thinking of selling off my Nu Vista and upgrading to a Wadia maybe.But I have come accross this Company that does a full mod with new clock etc. to the Nu Vista. Audiocom. Has anyone had any experience with this. A full blown mod with everything of the best they do would set me back just under £2k. So I need to do some homework.Any comments.:)

Malky, Sep 29, 2006
  2. Malky

penance Arrogant Cock

I and others have had problems with orders from Audiogon. I cant comment on their upgrades tho.

penance, Sep 29, 2006
  3. Malky

Dev Moderator

I can't comment on the sound quality of the modified unit but in my view the one major disadvantage of modifying any kit is the potential drop in resale value. I know this will probably polarise opinions and is certainly not intended to knock the modifications but just questioning how much of the £2k spent on a Nu Vista (plus the original cost) will you get back if you decide to resell.

Dev, Sep 29, 2006
  4. Malky

speedy.steve

That's a lot of wonga for a mod.
    I'd audition one against what you are thinking of upgrading to first.
    What is the 2nd hand value of such a modded unit. I doubt you will see much of your £2K.
    This might not be of concern though if you plan to keep the unit a long time.

speedy.steve, Sep 29, 2006
  5. Malky

Malky

I was planning on keeping it if I had it done. Problem is you cant listen to a mod until it is done. So I am scepticle. Two or three hundred is one thing but 2k is a big gamble, unlees they had one done in stock I could listen to.I could probably just get it re clocked, around £200 I think and see how that goes.Penance... I think you are geeting confused with the Audio Gone classified ads web site. This is a company in Pembroke. http://www.audiocom-uk.com/index.asp

Malky, Sep 29, 2006
  6. Malky

Malky

I have copied the response from Mark Bartlett of Audiocom to see what you guys think.

Dear Malcolm

Â

Following our correspondence via Ebay please find below some information on the latest Nu-vista modifications by Audiocom.

Â

Audiocom's recent developments in high performance master clock systems for digital audio have meant we can achieve our ultimate goal and push the performance of CD to compete with high-end vinyl.

Â

Both analogue replay (vinyl) and digital reply (CD/SACD) have there own strengths, but Compact Disc never manages to connect and convey the musical flow and timing of a good analogue system. This has proved the case regardless of the digital source, even those costing £10K, £15K upwards.

Â

The reasons for this is that all manufacturers are faced with the same dilemma, source electronic parts such as a master clock (typically a TCXO or VCXO) or voltage regulation (generally 78xx or LM317 types) from passive component manufactures or design a bespoke circuit from the ground up. The latter is in almost all cases is not a feasible option due to the high cost investment and heavy resources for R&D. For manufacturers who have designed in there own master clock circuitry, the design is far removed from the quality and performance target demanded by Audiocom.

Â

The latest 4th generation clock from Audiocom, the Superclock 4 surpasses any master clock design we have encountered in a digital source to date by a wide margin. To achieve our ultimate goal Audiocom have been developing a *reference clock* system in an effort to change the way we listen to CD. CD still accounts for over 95% of most of our customers digital media, leaving SACD & DVD-A a declining, niche market. The *new* Superclock REF 001-S reference clock system allows CD to convey the energy, perfect timing, natural tones & pitch desired by the listener and create the sense of reality that you are listening to true reproduction of the recorded event.

Â

With the clock system perfected, other important areas of design have also been address with equal diligence. The voltage regulation in a digital playback system has the responsibility to deliver DC power to all the digital processing, data conversion and analogue filtering circuitry. Any degree of DC noise which enters these stages corrupts, degrades and causes losses in resolution. The effects on the sound quality are all too clear, sound-stage condenses, tones harden, aspects of the music become unintelligible and buried, high frequencies become edgy and pinched, and the timing element of the music is compromised. Â

Â

The solution is to dispense with the use of fixed or adjustable regulators designed for the mass market, not audio. Audiocom have designed a series of discrete ultra-low noise regulators which achieves a 5-nV/√Hz noise floor. With a noise floor this quiet the numerous data processing and conversion chips in the CD (or SACD) can reach the manufacturers maximum specification pushing forwards the performance on the entire digital system.

Â

Add to this the supreme range of passive components Audiocom use for the CD/SACD internal power supplies, de-coupling, signal coupling, filtering stages, etc., and the final product surpasses what is currently available from the conventional OEM route.

Â

We are confident that the with our top level modification package installed in to your MF Nu-Vista the sound quality will not only compete but rival that of your Michell Orbe SME V Ortofon Jubilee, etc. The Nu-Vista Level-5 modification costs GBP 1950.00 inclusive and incorporates the most comprehensive and higher specified upgraded we offer.

Â

We would like the opportunity to show you how good CD playback can be. If you are interested in the above modification or would like to discuss alternative options please contact us.

Â

In the meantime if you have any questions we are here to help.

Â

Kind Regards

Mark Bartlett

Malky, Sep 30, 2006
  7. Malky

Anex Thermionic

Wow so many words, such little info. So they upgrade the clock, regs and change some passives. £2K is a LOT of money for that and I suspect the clock isn't really as revolutionary as they like you to think given that it gives you absolutely no reasons as to why it is revolutionary.
    If you are happy with the nuvista, then it may be worth upgrading but I certainly wouldn't give audiocom two grand to do some very basic modifications. If your not happy with it, get rid.

Anex, Sep 30, 2006
  8. Malky

denney10

The big question is whether you want to keep the MF or trade it in later. I do not think you will get a good return for the expense but if you are basically happy with the sound but just want more out of it, then you might be on the right track.
    It is difficult to make a cost comparison on just the components alone. Certainly you should be able to source them a lot cheaper on your own. If you know what you are doing, then you can spend time and effort replacing components until you get what you think is the right sound.
    What you are also paying for when going to Audiocom is their expertise and time spent carefully changing components, listening to the sound after letting it burn in and then knowing what to take out as a next step.
    Like you, I was very concerned about spending so much without hearing the changes until it was all over, but I am glad I did it in the end. I had my Audionet player upgraded earlier this year and spoke to Mark throughout the weeks that it took to have the changes done. To me, he is very honest and genuinely just wants to get the best out of any player sent to him and he has a range of fixed price upgrades and will talk to you about the differences you should expect to achieve for each.
    My upgrade cost £1500 and as I wanted to keep the Audionet and do not have any thoughts about changing it, I feel the cost has been justified by the sound I now have. The player is unique and I know I won't get any return if I sold it, but I am not bothered. Just keep on listening to the music and smile happily!
    Hope this helps.

denney10, Sep 30, 2006
  9. Malky

Malky

Thanks Denny. I was hoping someone would reply who had experience with Audiocom, not that other replies havent been noted and carefully considered. It was my intention to keep the player long term as basically I like the sound, and the bottom end is awsome in my system, anymore there and it would be overblown. I feel the upper mids and highs can be a little harsh/muddled with some material, but then again not all CDs are good recordings.I have thought of changing to Wadia but I believe the older machines can be difficult to replace parts for if they break down. Transports are always being discontinued and this seems to be the reason for new machines coming on to the market. Ths is another point. If I have the upgrades and in future need new valves or service/repair, will M.F have anything to do with it, and if so would Audiocom be able to take it on. I will let you all know what I decide to do, but I am doing my homework and keeping my options open at the moment.

Malky, Sep 30, 2006
  10. Malky

nando nando

hi malky, i also have a nu-vista 3d cdp, it is lovelly , also have the kw transport and dac, i can say that the nu-vista is very good , infact AN ICOM BUT THE KW'S ARE A TASTE OF HONEY, if you wish to upgrade i can do you a deal on p/x. towards the combo of the kw's, regards nando.

nando, Oct 1, 2006
  11. Malky

Elberoth

I would get the clock 4 with its dedicated PSU first. It sould run you aprox 300 GBP. If you find the improvement worthwile - you may go for other mods. If not - just sell the player and get sth better, like Audio Aero Capitole Reference, ARC CD3 or MBL1531.

Elberoth, Oct 4, 2006
  12. Malky

Malky

Yes I am thinking seriously of doing this. It will cost £570 all in with P.S. for the best Clock 4 the REF 001S .i WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT.My system especially the CD has much improved after the addition of Missing Link Slingshot speaker cable, I also had my Prestige 2 speakers built for me by Wilmslow Audio using this cable inside the speakers. What an improvement WOW...

Malky, Oct 6, 2006
  13. Malky

nando nando

belive me malky, it is not the clocking device that would improuve your M3, i know as i also have one of those, nando.

nando, Oct 7, 2006
  14. Malky

Malky

To be honest this Nu Vista as it is with my system now is pretty bloody good.We just always get this urge to try and make things better.Hence my signature below.

Malky, Oct 7, 2006
  15. Malky

Malky

Is it OK to use the word bloody.

Malky, Oct 7, 2006
  16. Malky

MO! MOnkey`ead!

How does changing speaker cable improve ones CD player?

MO!, Oct 8, 2006
  17. Malky

nando nando

try LAT IC 300, THE BISS. NANDO , also a slight mod on the plyer at a very low cost, that will do it,ta.

nando, Oct 8, 2006
Ask a Question