Musical Fidelity Pre Amps

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mreudaimon, Feb 5, 2014.

1. mreudaimon

mreudaimon

Hi all....would be most greatful for any thoughts on a preamp to go with an MF A3cr power amp. I am stuck in the middle of nowhere in asia and have no chance of auditioning any preamps. Have been looking at MF gear namely the A3 pre, The A3.2 pre, the xpre v3,and the XP100 pre.
    Can anyone let me know if they have experience of these preamps?.....would buy an A3 but difficult to find 2nd hand, easier to find an XP100.......... anyone aware of sonic differences? will be using line stage only....... and really want to be sure that i do not buy anything to harsh at the top end.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2014
    mreudaimon, Feb 5, 2014
  2. mreudaimon

RobHolt Moderator

If using the line stage you scan pretty much buy on specs, price and looks. It's very rare to encounter something built today which doesn't have inaudible levels of error in either response or distortion.

You can get variation if a phono stage is included because gain is far higher and EQ must be applied in the form of RIAA correction. So results cash vary a little depending on the implementation.

Wrt harshness at the top end there are two mechanism for that in amplification - rising HF response and/or audible distortion. None of the MF pre amps mentioned will have such issues.

RobHolt, Feb 6, 2014
  3. mreudaimon

mreudaimon

Rob, Many thanks for your reply.......... would have been so much easier if i could have found online reviews of the preamps mentioned.

mreudaimon, Feb 7, 2014
  4. mreudaimon

MickyP

Go the X-Pre and it's a cracking pre-amp.

MickyP, Feb 23, 2014
Ask a Question