Musical Fidelity X-LPS v3 Phono Stage any good?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by monotone, Sep 16, 2005.

1. monotone

monotone

Will there be any improvement compared to the older X-LPS for my gear... the Project 6.1 with Sumiko Blue Point Special cart?

Cheers!

monotone, Sep 16, 2005
  2. monotone

alexs2

I tried this when I was looking for a phono stage recently...tried it against the Tom Evans Groove,Trichord Dino(and the plus and NC versions) as well as the Project Tube Box and a few others.

The sound is clean and quite detailed overall,but I found it very uninvolving,and just a bit 2 dimensional overall,and settled on the rather more expensive Dino/NC,although even the base Dino is much better.

The other thing is that the MFv3 has no facility for varying cartridge loading,which can be very important with MCs.

alexs2, Sep 16, 2005
  3. monotone

Saab

It works for me with a P3 and A21a,but I'm not a vinyl juky,it just does a job.I dumped 2 Projects because they sounded plain awful

Saab, Sep 16, 2005
  4. monotone

lordsummit moderate mod

I found the X-LP to be one of the most one dimensional phono stages I've heard. If you're going to stick with the Sumiko which is a high output cart isn't it? Try the Graham Slee Gram amp 2. £125/130 and the best sound under £200. If you want a fancy box buy the SE at £200. Otherwise you need to spend big money, £400-500 to seriously better it. Otherwise trawl the second hand/ex dem market. You might pick up a bargain somewhere, I found a Loricraft for £375, and there was an Ear 834P and a Trichord going at Shadow for not much more than the MF

lordsummit, Sep 16, 2005
  5. monotone

Stuart

Hi,

Never was a fan of the MF stuff. Their 'stage will do the job however there are better options out there. I'd be happy to bring my Dino around again if you'd like compare it.

Regards,

Stuart.

Stuart, Sep 17, 2005
  6. monotone

monotone

Thanks guys... think i'll give it a miss.

Not seriously looking to upgrade yet, just spotted one on local ebay :)

Thanks for the offer Stuart... will contact you when I'm looking for a new TT or phono stage. Cheers!

monotone, Sep 18, 2005
Ask a Question