Musical Fidelity X-Ray V8 or V3 - is there much difference in sound?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr Swindon, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Mr Swindon

Mr Swindon

I'm in the market for a new (or new to me at least) CD player. I've been offered an X-Ray V3 for a decent price, and am very impressed with the little thing. But I can't help but wonder if I'd be better off hanging out for a good V8 instead.

Has anyone done a direct comparison of both? Is there really enough of a difference in sound to justify my passing on the V3 and looking for a V8 instead?

Mr Swindon, Jan 14, 2009
  2. Mr Swindon

MO! MOnkey`ead!

They're up to V8 now???? I'm assuming they jumped from 3 straight to 8?

MO!, Jan 14, 2009
  3. Mr Swindon

gsrai

I had the V3 and V8 a year or so back and I didn't think it was a chalk and cheese experience - I think if i had to say anything then the V8 was a tad smoother - not much in it really to my ears.

Do be mindful though, the X-ray V8 won't work unless you have the XXX or X170 power supply so it becomes a costly upgrade process. looking at ebay V8's and PSU go for c.£500 ish.

gsrai, Jan 14, 2009
  4. Mr Swindon

nando nando

i had all those dacs as i am a dealer, me personally prefered the v3, but the kwm25 i found to be a dac that you can live with in every sense of sound , recomended to vynil lovers,
    nando

nando, Jan 15, 2009
Ask a Question