musical fidelity?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lt Cdr Data, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

I am not really going to do another mf knock, but some of the claims in the latest mail are outrageous.

Its all the same...performance is staggering, stupendous, the best yet, best there is, at a fair price, we beat the competition etc. every other word you get superlatives.

They've put the price of the kw phonostage up £800 I think just for a few loading options for mc.

they say the trivista, 350 watt amp can't cope with joe satriani, wheras their kw750 can cope well....
    (I find that impossible to believe at all. What a way to sell a product.)

...which they are marketing as the most powerful amp available, there are actually plenty of studio/pa amps that go to 2 or even 3000 watts easy. so by their reckoning they trounce mf best kit.

I still like the look of it though :)

Lt Cdr Data, Apr 26, 2005
  2. Lt Cdr Data

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Hmm. Not sure about that. Auntie was looking in one of the mags a while back and there was some big MF amp in it and she commented that if I were to buy something like that my friends would assume I had a small penis.

Uncle Ants, Apr 26, 2005
  3. Lt Cdr Data

analoguekid Planet Rush

Original x stuff was good looking and inovative, design wise, newer stuff has got steadily worse, IMHO, And even if the KW750 is supposed to be the most powerfull, eh what about the edge NL ref, is it not 1KW doubling each time the impedance halves?

Also agree their superlatives are a bit strong, they are of course subjective, but they state them like facts.

analoguekid, Apr 26, 2005
  4. Lt Cdr Data

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Edge, now there's a thought :cool:

wadia-miester, Apr 26, 2005
  5. Lt Cdr Data

julian2002 Muper Soderator

but this one goes to 11.....

julian2002, Apr 26, 2005
  6. Lt Cdr Data

Ted

I also just received the Musical Fidelity mailing and could not agree more. I am a big fan of their stuff - the most recent upgrade being their Tri-Vista 21 DAC - but just cannot believe how much they talk themselves up. It's done in a way that implies it's independent, eg "Antony says that this is the best amp available at ANY price" or something similar.

Have to say it puts me off a bit. :(

Ted, Apr 28, 2005
  7. Lt Cdr Data

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

I find it crazy that they market their latest gear by slating or deriding past efforts. I mean, is anyone going to seriously believe that their new X-dac v3 is better than the tri-vista 21 dac???

And their kit has got progressively worse looks-wise imho. The X stuff was gorgeous, but now they have to make everything huge in order to get noticed in US showrooms. Its like MF & Bryston are having "size wars" with each other. Flippin ridiculous.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 28, 2005
  8. Lt Cdr Data

lordsummit moderate mod

I'll say one word

Bling

That's what MF are about mostly

lordsummit, Apr 28, 2005
  9. Lt Cdr Data

julian2002 Muper Soderator

mf are wannabe bling. real bling is the chromed cylon stylee chord 'mezzo' kit. now THAT's bling. fcuking awful though.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Apr 28, 2005
Ask a Question