My feelings about the Heathrow show

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by titian, Sep 28, 2004.

1. titian

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Slanging match Chris?, nah this is stock debate, for that you'll need to use four letters starting in 'M'. then it turns into a farce!!
    The above comments are feel are relevent, as every one is different is the appriecation of music, this then gives an insight into the individuals tastes and will then usually reflect in their postings
    I'll quote Lee here
    "Regarding the Emotive Excellence £60,000 speakers (oh wow a price drop). As speakers go they make excellent plant pot stands, nuff said."
    My comments were "those £70K standmounts, with 4 yes four gamut 200's and a wadia 270/27ix sounding ultra hifi, airy fairy dire (made me cry at such abuse of quality kit) "
    A more succint discription maybe, but those guys showing equipment at this level, and demostarting it in public are going to be open to comment from all quarters
    On the subject of @crap sounds and hotel rooms@ this has more than a ring of truth in it, however If I was showing my wares to the paying public, I would want to spent a little more time on set (being anal if you like) and decent mains treatments etc, before opening the doors and losing the 'Arragant/condesention factor' towards the customers, not all rooms suffered this, but it was more common that it should of been
    All this PC diplomacy, you lot will be running for Government next
    Which room were you exhibiting in then Chris (hello & welcome BTW)

wadia-miester, Sep 29, 2004
  2. titian

Robbo

I dont think I said that it did.

Robbo, Sep 29, 2004
  3. titian

Pete,
    I think you need a trip to Bub's mate

4. titian

Chris Jennings

OK. but some who post, are doing so with self interest. ok i do work for a manufacturer, but don't respond to comments about my equipment. i don't even have my site as a link. music is that all that matters, egos have - over the years - killed the hifi industry, which now produces systems less capable than those 30 years ago. without the marketing driven companies the press would be empty of adds. All i ask of the public is to have an extended home demo before buying.

Chris Jennings, Sep 29, 2004
  5. titian

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

The problem is my other ear is pretty crap :D

LiloLee, Sep 29, 2004
  6. titian

PeteH Natural Blue

No, not at all, and I apologise if you thought I was having a go at you or whatever. However, plenty of people do seem to think that 'accurate' - or 'clinical' as it's often expressed pejoratively - is a bad thing.

PeteH, Sep 29, 2004
  7. titian

PeteH Natural Blue

:lol: Now now, don't start stirring :)

PeteH, Sep 29, 2004
  8. titian

Chris Jennings

Hi Wadia-Miester.

I was in the park inn syndicate room 5.

Chris

9. titian

Chris,
    I'll think you'll find that is pre-requiste for Z/G :)
    AS for the Web links to sites, its a Z/G terms of use policy that all 'interested parties' declare it, rather than a sly push for products, that way there's no 'he's doing so in so on the side.

10. titian

Thanks Chris.
    Pete,
    Go on you know it'll 'Be worth the experiance'
    Merlin,
    The 'problem' you gave me, cheers mate!!!

11. titian

Chris Jennings

i don't visit forums to push my products. i visit to expand my knowledge. but for your info my website is:-

www.highendaudio.co.uk

I enjoy constructive discussion, but hate self interested, biased, opinions, which is why i prefer to stay ononimus.

Chris

12. titian

merlin

I take it you are having fun then Tony :D

Or are you referrring to that desire to become the latest valve onvert on ZG ;)

Geez the next thing you'll be tweaking will be your big toe inside them slippers :D

merlin, Sep 29, 2004
  13. titian

joel Shaman of Signals

The art of one-handed, er, clapping :)

joel, Sep 29, 2004
  14. titian

Merlin,

No sadly, my pipe & slipper days are well into the future, I'll give you a bell in the morning.

15. titian

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Hey Chris, live a little - push your products. :)
    Hmmm, self interested and biased - shit, I'm in alot of trouble here (just kidding, Michael).

Anyway, to get back on message ...
    FWIW Pete, my personal view (BTW, weren't we just talking on the 'metal drivers' thread?) is that you're absolutely right. 'Accurate' - I like to call it 'Truth' - is where it is. When I forget that then I've really lost the plot (as opposed to my normal state where I've merely forgotten where I put it).

But here's the thing...

IMO, you can have a flat frequency response, room equalized (bass only of course) for amplitude and time. You can have a sense of scale (that might come from efficient speakers with large drivers). You can have bass that would enable clear and perfect communication between an African elephant and a Blue Whale; high frequencies that would bring tears to the eyes of an opera loving bat and a mid-band without resonances, clutter or interference. The soundstage could be perfect and the imagery so good that you could virtually peel the musos off the stage. You can have all this delivered to your ears with perfect timing, superfast attack and no overhang whatsoever...

And you still won't have the real thing in your room. You still won't have reached the truth.

Because a loudspeaker doesn't disperse the sound in the same manner as a musical instrument. Full-stop, end of story, or so you might think...

But help is at hand. I believe that there are some new approaches being taken by a few discerning individuals (me, I'm just jumping on their bandwagon) that may bring us closer to that elusive grail.

Those that are thinking that 7_V is sounding a little strange tonight may be interested to know that, after extensive trials (and some tribulations), I've come to the conclusion that 12 year old Macallan Single Malt is not a bad whisky. :MILD: It doesn't change my fundamental belief in the above though.

7_V, Sep 30, 2004
  16. titian

wolfgang

In general I find dealers who declare their identity from the start easier to judge. However, it is the substances of your comment that gives authority. Strip of any visual biases of the face or dress sense everyone comments is given equal merit. At least that is what I like to believe happen.

Look forward to the what is the nature of this novel approach and hear whether it does what is says on the tin.

wolfgang, Sep 30, 2004
  17. titian

Chris Jennings

Single Malt

Hi 7_V.

If you like 12 year old Macallan Single Malt, have you tried Dalmore 12 year old, these two are my favorites.

Chris

Chris Jennings, Sep 30, 2004
  18. titian

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Not yet Chris but I'll put it on my list. :)

7_V, Sep 30, 2004
  19. titian

Midlandaudiox

Great to hear that so many people enjoyed the 47 Laboratory Room (and some didnt i know)
    But as a retailer/distrubutor i too was disapointed by the lack of care shown in the rooms, i was really depressed after my tour as Director and main buyer for our retail outlet, there were very few thing that made me want to invest in them.
    So decided to get back to the 47Lab room and start playing some great music, and start enjoying the system and the weekend.
    For my point of view we had a mixed response some people came in and just smiled as if to say " God whats all this about" or " Are they serious" but in general most people just sat there and listened, for long periods too! and we had great comments. Lots of women and couples just sitting back and saying "Thank god a breather at last" it was if most people were on a mission to distroy peoples hearing and there interest in hi-end audo reproduction.
    Also people were asking me where can i buy this or have a more in depth demonstration, at that time we were still in talks with new retailers who wanted to become outlets for 47 Labs. So heres what we have at the moment.
    Midland Audio X-Change Birmingham
    Kevin galloway Audio Scotland
    Sound Practice St Albans
    Walrus Systems Central London.
    Within the next couple of weeks the 3 new outlets should have stock in to listen to.
    Thanks once again
    John Roberts

Midlandaudiox, Sep 30, 2004
  20. titian

angi73

Just out of interest, did anyone get to hear the pmc setups? Anyone hear the gb1, using bryston amps?, i have a pair of them and am very pleased with them, apparantly they work well with bryston stuff, is this true? I know they are distributed together. Eventually i like the idea of having plenty of solid state power, which i cant afford at the moment.

angi73, Sep 30, 2004
Ask a Question