My feelings about the Heathrow show

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by titian, Sep 28, 2004.

1. titian

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

I use eardrops myself. I dont agree with all that holistic kick in the nutts type therapy.

Dont go to these shows to get a full rendition of the pros and cons of a system - go to get the feel of market and what is available - and if you think a demo is really awful - dont demo at home. simple.

lAmBoY, Oct 3, 2004
  2. titian

Snoopdog

Hear, Hear!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snoopdog, Oct 3, 2004
  3. titian

sideshowbob Trisha

The Art Audio room was sounding a bit flat when I was there. He was using the stereo Diablo at the time. People who heard the room when the monoblocks were in use reported much better results.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Oct 3, 2004
  4. titian

titian

So guys, from now on we don't need to go the shows or dems again. We just send tin teardrop which will tell us what is absolutely good or not good. And his words are the truth, nothing else then the truth. .... and dare if you even think it is not.

amen

titian, Oct 3, 2004
  5. titian

The Devil IHTFP

Polishing a turd?

The Devil, Oct 3, 2004
  6. titian

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Bit like using naim with atc's then?

wadia-miester, Oct 3, 2004
  7. titian

The Devil IHTFP

The CDS 2 and NAC 52 are well-established landmark products, as you should know, Tony.

ART just left the 'F' off the name, hahaha.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2004
    The Devil, Oct 3, 2004
  8. titian

sideshowbob Trisha

Different Art Audio to the one you're thinking of, Bub.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Oct 3, 2004
  9. titian

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

A little bit harsh there, titian.

tt started by saying that we all like different sounds at the shows. Then he said that conditions were not ideal because of the noise levels - he could have also mentioned that the room acoustics are generally diabolical at these shows. Next, tt said: I thought the Art Audio room made the best of less than perfect conditions, and also had one of the most varied and interesting tastes in demo music. Finally, he gently suggested that anybody who thought that this system sounded "flat" needs to get a friend to give them a good hard kick in the bollocks to dislodge the wax from thier ears.

All fair enough, to be honest.

My take on Art Audio is that Tom is a true pro who has been doing his thing, honestly, in this industry, for more years than I can remember. For what it's worth, from what I've heard (on my visit to his factory and listening room, playing through my own speakers) I thought that his basic circuit topology, standard of engineering and use of components was excellent. Furthermore, with his range of high quality, single-ended valve amplification, you can tune the sound by the choice of main output valves. They sounded excellent to me.

As for his speakers, Tom's not primarily a speaker designer but he's a good engineer who knows what he wants to achieve, soundwise, and can go one heck of a long way to get there. I haven't heard those particular enclosures but any speaker that uses Bandor for the whole "extended mid-band" ain't going to go far wrong, IMO.

Got to buy some milk for tea. I'll come back later.

7_V, Oct 3, 2004
  10. titian

analoguekid Planet Rush

Ian with all the sly comments, and references to my kit, i get the feeling that I might have got under his skin, :)

Wonder what happens if Mike doesn't like the way he has his system set up, will he still be as chummy, or will Mike be a deaf bampot who knows nothing of accuracy as well? :D

analoguekid, Oct 4, 2004
  11. titian

The Devil IHTFP

Yeah, I'm dead envious. Your system is really amazing.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2004
    The Devil, Oct 4, 2004
  12. titian

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Well at least AK, does have bass, albeit according to you 'in the floor', so in that context I guess its amazing to you James.
    AK, thats a compliment, you might need a wee dram to recover after that!!!

wadia-miester, Oct 4, 2004
  13. titian

The Devil IHTFP

Oh dear, change the broken record. No bass from ATC SCM 100As? Even AK couldn't bring himself to say that. In fact he said the opposite, IIRC.

The Devil, Oct 4, 2004
  14. titian

analoguekid Planet Rush

Yeah but everything else was overpowered by it, was always aware of the bass, seemed to dominate, maybe that's the mana effect eh!

BTW thanks for the compliment, i knew you liked it really, not that i place much store on what you say, but an endorsement none the less, thanks.

analoguekid, Oct 4, 2004
  15. titian

The Devil IHTFP

You are more than welcome.

:)

Merlin & Robbo can, no doubt, make their own minds up. But it's good to have the benefit of two experts' previews: no bass overpowering everything else...

The Devil, Oct 4, 2004
  16. titian

analoguekid Planet Rush

James can't comment on Tony's remarks, but I found it a bit dull, not in the grand scheme of things you understand, just compared to what I'm used to, now mine might be the most innacurately flawed system in the universe, but that just happens to be the way I like it, and to pass comment on something 3d sonics suggested, I have an open mind, and may try Mana one day as I have already stated, it's just at the moment, domesticity and the fact tghat I don't need it(why change the sound of something I'm happy with), means I'll pass for now, also based on what I heard at your place (which according to you is mainly the mana effect), then I'm so far unimpressed (although I haven't heard yours without) I have repeatedly offered for you to bring over some mana to prove your point, but you insist on refusing for your own valid reasons.

Maybe Merlin and Robbo will like it, you obviously do, but if they don't does that make them wrong to?

These are my last words on the subject.

analoguekid, Oct 4, 2004
  17. titian

The Devil IHTFP

AK, your comments baffle me & everyone else who has heard my system in the last few months.

It's anything but dull, but have it your own way.

As I've pointed out before, it's up to you whether or not you get Mana, not me.

The Devil, Oct 4, 2004
  18. titian

merlin

Steve, as I said earlier, I enjoyed the Art room when they were using the monoblocks but was still worried by it's ultimate loudness capability in what was a very small room. Still, they are good solid amps that really sing when paired with hi efficiency speakers.

I just wish Walrus had shipped their K2's down to the show - they might even have sold them. Looking back at the show, I do think it was one of the least improtant for a long time. there was an era when Heathrow signalled numerous product launches for many of the major international players. Sadly it appears these now happen in Italy, France or Lisbon. Heathrow is left with little to offer IMO - save for the hobbyists pedalling their leftfield wares. Did anyone notice who WASN'T there? Quad, Linn. Kef, B&W, Mission, Arcam, Cyrus........

merlin, Oct 4, 2004
  19. titian

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Which is strange because the UK market is larger than the Italian, French or Portugese markets.

... Seventh Veil, Omiga Audio ... :D

7_V, Oct 4, 2004
  20. titian

Dev Moderator

So why weren't you there Steve?

Dev, Oct 4, 2004
Ask a Question